• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hiking shoes question

ScottySkis

i hiked last year with my sneakers. If i buy hiking shies what is a good brand that to isnt to expensive. If i spend more money like skis are the hiking easirier in the feet? Thanks inadvance for any help. i know it earluly for this question bur spring wether is warm out and i need tobe enjoying outside mountajns some way.

hammer

We picked up Merrell lightweight hiking boots last year for about $100/pair which work well for the few times we usually get out.

YMMV...like with ski boots, you need to figure out which boot fits your foot best.

ScottySkis

Thanks Hammmeer. I went to Marshalls and got a pair if Norh Face hiking booots on sale for 70$ trhing them out nkw. Hiking was easire when i was 40 lbs kighter i ha e goal now to louse weitght.

o3jeff

I ended up using trail runners(Innov8 255) most of last year since I have odd feet and in most brand of boots I end up with blisters on my heels. Real lite and legs didn't end up as tired at the end of long hikes with them.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
As a high mileage hiker, I recommend the lightest shoes that are still comfortable. I hike and backpack with full pack with low cut shoes as long as weather allows it over any terrain. I will hike day hikes in trail runners sometimes. This may not be doable if you need more support of your ankle or have soft feet. A burlier shoe/boot often takes a while to break in but provides much more support.
I am not brand loyal and shop sale prices and leftovers (lots of leftovers available with my small size) I have currently salamon, keen, merrells, and LL bean shoes in my 3 season quiver. The Keens (Targhee) are most durable. Merrells (moab ventilator gtx) actually blew out prematurely but Merrell replaced them free.
Fit is most important to prevent blisters.