• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 4-5-2014

emmaurice2

Where: Belleayre Ski Center

When: Saturday April 5, 2014

Conditions: Top: refrozen corn, frozen granular, death cookies. Middle: Soft buttery turns to heavy wet snow. Bottom: Slush. The exception: Lower Cathedral Brook somehow had beautiful snow that skied like packed powder.

Weather predictions were that temps would rise into the mid-40s and skies would begin to clear mid-morning. Never happened. Regardless, I was comfortable in just a fleece. It rained overnight making the snow on the bottom portion of the mountain very heavy and difficult to navigate. Throughout the day it lightly snowed/sleeted, but not enough to affect conditions.

Dot Nebel and Peekamoose skied very nicely early on, but then the little mounds made by skiers refroze requiring some care and fancy skiing. I did not like the snow on Algonquin or Mohawk, very chunky. Wanatuska was crunch at the very top but softened up toward the bottom, some nice bumps forming from skier traffic.

I discovered lower half of Cathedral Brook late in the day when my legs were nearly cooked. While there were huge bare spots (see pics), the snow was the best out of everywhere else I skied. The run out back to the Superchief had a huge washed out section that left an 8" wide traverse (see pic).

I went back to the top of the mountain and started to make the traverse to the top of CB, but when I saw the uphill section, I thought better of it. Legs were already wobbly. Next season, it is on the top of my list.

I didn't ski any of the bumps on lower Mohawk (?) or Belleayre Ruun, but everyone who was looked like they were having a great time.
Top of Wanatuska (I think)
Belleayre Top of Wanatuska 4514.jpg

Lower Cathedral Brook
Belleayre Cathedral Brook 4514.jpg

CB Barespot
Belleayre Cathedral Brook Bare 4514.jpg

CB Run out Washout
Belleayre Cathredral Brook Washout 4514.jpg

My Day at Belleayre
Belleayre Map 4514.jpg

legalskier

I managed to get there today. Gorgeous spring conditions. Lots of bump runs. At least half my runs were in the trees- as the corn got more choppy on piste, the snow in the trees still skied beautifully. Didn't see any bare spots anywhere (but I didn't do C-Brook.)
Heard they're going to close for 3 days, then reopen on Thursday for a long weekend.

Here's the last run of the day, dropping in off of Roaring Brook-
Roaring Brook.jpg

Last edited:

emmaurice2

Nice, I bet the snow had time to drain over night. Their base is deep on the man made trails. As long as there are no blowtorch days, they could probably go 2 more weekends. I haven't seen any announcements but I would guess that next weekend will be their last?

legalskier

Nice, I bet the snow had time to drain over night. Their base is deep on the man made trails. As long as there are no blowtorch days, they could probably go 2 more weekends. I haven't seen any announcements but I would guess that next weekend will be their last?

While on the chairlift someone said the plan is to close next week but reopen for the weekend of April 19-20. Let's hope the temps stay cool.......

TropicTundR

Was there also...Mashed Potatoes...bumps were fun though, my knees weren't.