• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What 1 CD/Record/Tape/8-track etc should everyone own?

Cannonball

I SOOOO do not abide with these suggestions

The Eagles are right up there with Jimmy Buffet as American music legends that make me want to puke on my shoes.

Thank you, someone had to say it. Also, I'm not sure if there are any rules to this game. But if there are I'm sure the first one is that greatest hits compilations don't count.

Quietman

My day is made...Michael McDonald is coming to SLC this summer!
Looks like SLC is the only August date the he won't be co-headlining with Toto. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I liked the original Toto, but things have changed. It would have been great to see him with Donald Fagen and Boz Scaggs as "the Dukes".
He really sounds like he's in good voice!

I got to see Rush live last summer and they're still amazing!

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like SLC is the only August date the he won't be co-headlining with Toto. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I liked the original Toto, but things have changed. It would have been great to see him with Donald Fagen and Boz Scaggs as "the Dukes".
He really sounds like he's in good voice!

I got to see Rush live last summer that they still amazing!

He's coming with Toto @ Red Butte Gardens.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The challenge is what ONE album would anyone want to listen to over and over and over...

Beatles - Abbey Road

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Just watched a biopic about Ginger Baker. I never knew how much an impact Cream had on Rock n Roll. Every one should own a copy of Disaeli Gears.

drjeff

Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Pearl Jam - Ten
Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction

jimk

Sort of humorously I thought of another way to skin the cat in this thread...what album have you listened to the most in your life? Would that be the one you'd nominate? I mentioned the Allman Bros earlier, but there are two albums that I have listened to the most that are from different bands: Morrison Hotel by The Doors (voluntarily) and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John (involuntarily). I had a college roomate who played GYBR all day, every FRIGGING day for an entire school year back in the mid 70s when it came out. Made me ready to puke on my shoes. But now 40 years later on the rare occasion I hear something from GYBR it sounds tolerable, maybe more than tolerable:spin:

Edd

Sort of humorously I thought of another way to skin the cat in this thread...what album have you listened to the most in your life? Would that be the one you'd nominate? I mentioned the Allman Bros earlier, but there are two albums that I have listened to the most that are from different bands: Morrison Hotel by The Doors (voluntarily) and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John (involuntarily). I had a college roomate who played GYBR all day, every FRIGGING day for an entire school year back in the mid 70s when it came out. Made me ready to puke on my shoes. But now 40 years later on the rare occasion I hear something from GYBR it sounds tolerable, maybe more than tolerable:spin:

My folks had GYBR on vinyl and I went through a phase where I listened to it constantly. That's a strong album. His originality was amazing.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Cannonball

The challenge is what ONE album would anyone want to listen to over and over and over...
d

Sort of humorously I thought of another way to skin the cat in this thread...what album have you listened to the most in your life? Would that be the one you'd nominate?

These are both fun questions too. But I think they are substantially different than the original question. These to questions relate more to what you as an individual really enjoy and can listen to over and over. The original question is what album everyone should own, which is more about that album's importance or value to music. It's possible that you could have the same answer to both questions, but it's also very likely that you wouldn't.

GYBR might be a good example of an album that is very enjoyable and holds up to multiple-multiple listens, but isn't groundbreaking enough to be considered "everyone should own". Whereas Nina Simone — In Concert is an album that everyone should own, but you might not feel like listening to every day.

twinplanx

I picked Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys because a: it was basically the soundtrack to a extremely enjoyable period of my life & b: there are so many samples you basically end up with a multitude of albums

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk