• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain 4.6.2014 - Closing Day

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Well, I FINALLY got in a day of skiing up at Magic. My only other day this season was a few runs at Wachusett so I was anxious to go skiing. I had promised myself not to miss out on several other powder days this season but the cards were against me as every time a storm came, everyone in my house got sick and I got stuck at home.

Luckily, this was a really great day. I met up with Xwhaler and Catsup948 and we skied together most of the day. I got to Magic at around 9:00 after a liesurely drive up and got on the slopes around 9:30. We stuck to the groomed trails in the morning as it was around 40 degrees or so and the snow hadn't softened up yet on non-groomed trails, making it pretty sketchy. We found that out the hard way by trying to make it down Up Your Sleeve / Vertigo / Mystery which was icy and choppy.

Once 11 hit, it warmed up to the mid-50's , and the snow softened up quickly. The afternoon was really great. Ropes were dropped on a few trails, and even with some thinner cover, the skiing was still excellent.

By 2:30, my legs were completely shot and I called it a day. A casualty of a year of very little skiing, unfortunately. I hope to get out again this year, but a good chance that was my first, and last, real ski day of the year.

Some pics, I have more to come and I took just a bit of video. I'll udpate once I get it posted up. I've been crazy busy at work the past few weeks.

20140406_114736.jpg

legalskier

Nice that you were able to get out on such a gorgeous day.
It won't be too long til the little one has skis on & you can all enjoy it together.

xwhaler

Will echo what Nick said----incredible day to be at Magic. Awesome to make turns and share some good lift rides with ya Nick----for only getting out once this yr you are a great skiier and looks like it comes natural for you.

Runs of the Day were when they dropped rope on Broomstick and we ran Broomstick to Heart of Magician. For having no snowmaking and getting baked in the sun the last couple weeks I thought coverage was quite good all things considered.
There were the grassy spots/rocks that we did our best to avoid but that just made it more fun.

We did poach Witch to Gonniff Glade in the early afternoon as well. Witch was really nice and upper section of Goniff was respectable as well where the sun softened it. Bottom run out was a tad sketchy but we all felt I think that it could have been "officially" open.

Sorcerer was pretty awful and we did see people in the trees in The Hallows and Wardrobe glade but without much sun I'm not sure those would have been enjoyable.

Nice season for Magic---after some early issues getting going with Red chair and snowmaking issues it seems they had a nice 2nd half of the yr. I was there 3 days with the last being the best. In the 4 yrs I've been skiing Magic I've seen improvements each yr in snowmaking, grooming, communication (social media and website), and food and beverage ops.
Of course still a ways to go in many areas to grow the customer base but I like what they are doing.

catsup948

I was amazed at how well the natural snow trails skied. Yes there were bare spots and some rocks but there was more than enough snow for turns. Heart of the magician had just the right sun so it was perfect spring corn! Great skiing with Nick and Xwhaler, many good conversations on the long lift rides. Next year I hope I can catch Magic on a powder day!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk