• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Mountain 4/9/2014

chuckstah

Loon 4/09/14

Conditions Spring Firm on top, Corn and mashed potatos lower elevations

I arrived at Loon solo at about 9:30 to a welcoming snow flurry and the main lot maybe half full. Booted up at the car and hopped on the gondy. No line. once I got off and started down Flying Fox I realized that it was colder than expected, and the snow was a bit firm. Lapped the gondy on groomed runs for a while, and headed to the N. Peak quad, the only other non beginner lift running. Walking Boss was firm and fast. Back on the quad and over toward the west basin, where the lift was closed. I found the good snow, although a bit hard to lap! Upper and lower Northstar, Rumrunner, and lower Speakeasy which were roped off skied great. As long as you know where to hit crossovers back to the gondy they are all easy to hit.
The only moguls in play that softened up were Rolling Bear which had nice soft natural bumps by noontime, and a seeded line on the very lower section of Seven Brothers. I dipped into the lower elevation woods a couple of times which skied good but are starting to get thin. Cover was good most everywhere including the natural trails and higher elevation woods and i am would think a lot more will officially open with the incoming warmer weather. Hopefully they will reopen the Kanc Quad for the weekend but it is not planned as of now. A lot of Brits on the hill but never more than a few chair line. Sunday River this weekend for a cornfest!