• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Close call on Adams

drjeff

I love the dumbass quote from the article that said that he wouldn't of done anything differently :smash:

Hmm, maybe next time you're venturing into some terrain like that you might want to ski with a buddy or 3!!

Savemeasammy

Hopefully it was a valuable lesson learned. I'd like to see the kid try again down the road - but next time with some company. Accidents happen... If he were with a group, someone could have gotten out in less than 7 hours to get help! I'm glad I'm not 22 anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I love the dumbass quote from the article that said that he wouldn't of done anything differently :smash:

Hmm, maybe next time you're venturing into some terrain like that you might want to ski with a buddy or 3!!

He said he'd learned his lesson. I was wondering what that could have been. Should've been not to ski something like that alone but maybe it was - tighten up the din settings? get a better ice axe? a full face helmet?

snoseek

I ski some pretty sketchy stuff solo but generally try to use good judgment involving snow safety. Adams is pretty crazy and the worst part is its really isolated if something goes wrong. Shit happens out there and it's real easy to judge what happened from our living room. Glad this guy came out OK

yeggous

The nut job posted about his trip on Epicski.com. Go tell him he's crazy.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

legalskier

This guy had a death wish on so many levels...solo descent at 4 pm? Brilliant

Hope he doesn't end up getting a Darwin Award some day.
Old enough to be physically capable + young enough not to fully appreciate the risk = formula for disaster

"Accidents are also rare in Great Gully, Ober said. Few people go there because it's also so physically demanding and requires hours of climbing in exchange for just a five- to six-minute ski run."

Think I'll pass.

From epicski: "Being with someone wouldn't have made a difference. I actually think that had my friend decided to join me on Monday that it would have been far worse."

He really doesn't get it.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Hope he doesn't end up getting a Darwin Award some day.
Old enough to be physically capable + young enough not to fully appreciate the risk = formula for disaster

"Accidents are also rare in Great Gully, Ober said. Few people go there because it's also so physically demanding and requires hours of climbing in exchange for just a five- to six-minute ski run."

Think I'll pass.

From epicski: "Being with someone wouldn't have made a difference. I actually think that had my friend decided to join me on Monday that it would have been far worse."

He really doesn't get it.

How could it have possibly been worse if he had a partner? The partner could have gone and found cell service to call for help at the very least. Just another case of a guy with all the equipment but zero common sense.

Highway Star

Nice...probably one of the most dangerous places to ski in the northeast. Right up there with tucks, except with nobody around to help you if something goes wrong. Everyone makes some sort of error in judgement like this at some point, and hopefully they survive and learn from it.

Mt. Adams would be an amazing spot for a ski area, 4000+ ft of vert from the summit down to the road, north facing, less than 3 hours from Boston, mostly on I-93.

MadMadWorld

Nice...probably one of the most dangerous places to ski in the northeast. Right up there with tucks, except with nobody around to help you if something goes wrong. Everyone makes some sort of error in judgement like this at some point, and hopefully they survive and learn from it.

Mt. Adams would be an amazing spot for a ski area, 4000+ ft of vert from the summit down to the road, north facing, less than 3 hours from Boston, mostly on I-93.

Seriously......?!?!

A wind swept, rocky, treeless mountain in New New England....bring on the investors!

yeggous

Seriously......?!?!

A wind swept, rocky, treeless mountain in New New England....bring on the investors!

Wildcat *cough*. They have major wind hold problems there and the summit is 1,700 feet lower.

There are good reasons why New Hampshire does not have lift serviced skiing in the Presidentials. The weather is brutal. It dwarfs anything else in New England.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

fbrissette

I particularly like this quote:

“Had that slab not released, had my binding not released, had I been on both skis, that would have been fine.”

It's like a drunk driver adapted version:

“Had I not drink, had not driven my car, had not sped on the icy road, things would have been fine”