• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

20 yr old skier dies today at Gore

Warp Daddy

Marcy man dies in skiing accident
A 20-year-old Marcy man has died after he lost control on a ski trail at Gore Mountain Ski Resort and hit a tree stump, according to the Warren County Sheriff's Office.

Posted Apr. 10, 2014 @ 7:35 pm

NORTH CREEK
A 20-year-old Marcy man has died after he lost control on a ski trail at Gore Mountain Ski Resort and hit a tree stump, according to the Warren County Sheriff's Office.
Nicholas Hansen of Marcy was skiing with his mother and a family member about 10:45 a.m. Thursday when he lost control on slush and over-corrected. He was wearing a helmet.
Gore officials said the skier was on the Chatiemac Trail. That's a black diamond trail, rated as most difficult.

Read more: http://www.uticaod.com/article/20140410/News/140419901#ixzz2yX1yyj6z

twinplanx

Never skied Gore. A tree stump on an open run ?

Not on the trail. Must have gone off the edges. Sux cause Chattimac and the Glades are pretty much my favorites at Gore. Vibes to the family, RIP :-(

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

There is a Chatiemac glade but he could have been on the non glade part and wiped out and went off trail as well.

Yup, and Chatiemac Glades are legitimate diamond glade steepness, not your usual "call it a diamond because it's a glade". But glade deaths are pretty rare though, so maybe he did go off the trail.

Here's the regular trail (not my pic, poached from GOOG images).

Davie-Chati+1.JPG

EDIT: Confirmed in below link he was on trail and skied off. Though this claims he hit a "tree" and not a "tree stump".

http://poststar.com/news/local/poli...cle_05b4029c-c0d9-11e3-9c76-0019bb2963f4.html

dlague

This is sad to here! This year seemed to have been the worst for the Northeast! Condolences to his family and friends! RIP!

Bene288

Heard from a local ski patroller he WAS on trail and went into the side woods. Very sad, vibes to his family and friends.

VTKilarney

Even though I know that statistically speaking fatalities are extremely rare, this doesn't blunt the worry I have that it could happen to a loved one. It's got to be just awful for those impacted by a tragedy like this. Skiing is supposed to a fun and healthy pursuit. Nobody deserves to have it ruin a life.

legalskier

Yup, and Chatiemac Glades are legitimate diamond glade steepness, not your usual "call it a diamond because it's a glade".

Agreed- the upper part is steep & technical. Here's a shot from last year:
Chatiemac Glades.jpg

And the trail's got some decent pitch too:
Chatiemac.JPG

Really sad. I can't imagine being his parent. Prayers.
R.I.P.