• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Too much of a good thing?

skiNEwhere

Is there such a thing in your vocabulary as "too much skiing"? Do you ever get sick of it?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
No, and it's not even close. Maybe if I skied 100+ days, I'd enjoy the summer, but not at the amount I get to go now and in the foreseeable future.

snoseek

Never, but I do have other things that I like to do when the weather gets warmer so my days decrease.

JDMRoma

I don't get sick of skiing but I do get sick of driving 2 hours up and 2 hours back every day !
Other than that I could do it all year !

dlague

When it comes to ski getting sick of it never crosses my mind! Which is why so many of us will try to ski at least 7 months of the year! Keep trying to talk my wife into going to Chile in August for our anniversary......

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

I got sick of it in when I turned 30 years old or thereabouts. I got to a point where I knew that my skill was not going to improve. I was far from the best skier on the mountain, but I was as good as I was personally going to get given the amount of time I could dedicate to the sport and the limit of my athleticism. I stopped feeling challenged and got bored. I walked away for a few years.

I''ve since learned to stop and smell the roses and to just have fun with it. Skiing has also become much more social for me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I lived in a ski town I skied 100+ days a year and never got sick of it and was always bummed when the season ended. Only missed days for basically crap weather.

Thats not to say I don't love summer to, but I'd rather be skiing.

The only thing about winter I get sick of are the many weeks when it gets dark around 430

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I do ski over 100 days a season.
I do not get tired of skiing. (If I ever did, I might try boarding or telemarking.)
I do live slopeside, but after my home area closes, I do get tired of the 2-hour drive to the places that are open into May.

Every day, even every run, is different: conditions, wind, views, etc. I suspect the attraction is enjoying it all and less about the competitive of "getting better." Perhaps the key difference: Are you a "physical skier" or a "spiritual skier"? I suspect most of the 100+ day a season crowd are in the "spiritual skier" category.

Edd

I could ski all year, no prob. There's no comparable summer activity for me unfortunately. It's a weird realization every spring when it's clear that I've had my last ski day.

I devote alot of time, energy, and $ to the sport so life becomes drastically different for me very quickly. I could use more balance, perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jack97

Not sure how I would feel about things when I get more free time to ski.

During the summer, as strange as it seems, what I do know is that I do miss the 2 hr drive up or down to the ski areas.

Savemeasammy

I'm not sure if I would have the same appreciation for skiing if it lasted all year, but I do know this: I would never get ANYTHING done around my house!

I genuinely enjoy the anticipation of ski season that seems to start in August and gets stronger as fall approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin

I need June-October to heal. This will be the third straight season with an injury that needs a few months to heal.

skiNEwhere

I will say that if I were to just alpine ski in super early season when only a single blue or green is open, I will get bored, which is why I now tele early season

Cheese

I don't get sick of it but I certainly lose interest. Mid-season there isn't much that will stop me from skiing every weekend and often 3-day weekends. Early season I'll sometimes bail knowing that terrain is limited. Late season there are rain and refreeze events that can sway me to seek alternate plans on a Saturday or Sunday.

Maybe I just get more picky about the days I go in the early and late season which isn't really getting sick of it.

4aprice

I don't know how year round or lengthened season would effect me. My season is pretty much set in stone, mid Nov - mid April. We ski every weekend, some week days and holidays in that period. Will put the boat in the water early/mid May and that season goes till October. The 2 months on either side of ski and boat season get devoted to spring and fall lawn care, clean up etc.. I get out 2 days this weekend then play it by ear. With the Killington spring pass if the opportunity comes up to get 1 or 2 more, I'll go for it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

Well I wouldn't say I get sick of it. What ends up happening is that I get sick of skiing the same place over and over again. I believe in the adage "variety is the spice of life". I see this guy at my home hill ski the same 2 trails over and over again and I just can't understand it. So as I get sick of skiing my home hill by the end of the season the costs add up too much to ski other places on a regular basis. Also finding people to go with ends up being an issue as well. My friends and family don't seem as dedicated to skiing as I am.