• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 4/12/14

4aprice

Left NJ at 6 and boarded K-1 at 10:30. Thought Northridge would be a good place to go but got over there and found the triple closed, so continued down to Snowden Quad. Low Rider and Patsy's were roped off as there is a lot of tree trash in the woods from the ice storms, but hit Northstar, Vagabond, and Great Bear, beautiful soft bumps with some sections of careful navigation. Headed off Snowden down East Fall to Canyon quad and hit several runs there. The woods off the quad (Big or Double Dipper I can never remember) skied great. Took a run down to K-1 and boarded the gondola to the top. I'm a big fan of the new building up there, much better then the behemoth that was there. Left the skis up by the gondola and went down and enjoyed a salad and a view. The top section of Catwalk was open and I had never been up there so we hiked up and skied down, skied great and was a lot of fun. Off Canyon quad did Northridge-East Fall (disappointing, no real bumps on Northridge) and Powerline-East Fall (much better) and another Dipper Woods. Decided to head over to Superstar Quad. Again Julio and Anarchy were roped off with the same tree trash that Low Rider and Patsy's were victim to. Ovation, Superstar and Sky Lark all skied great though and did t2b's on them. Quit about 3:30, had a cocktail at the umbrella bar after just a beautiful spring day. Hear some rumors of rain Sunday, hopefully it holds off.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mriceyman

its amazing woods are still in play mid april .. wish i could get up there one more time but its not gonna happen.

WoodCore

Was at Killington as well on Saturday. Skied 8am till 3pm with a short break at the peak lodge. It was an A++ spring day for sure. Parked at K1 and started the day over at Bear Mtn and worked our way across the hill pretty much hitting everything that was open. ROTD was Ovation, Super soft, steep and some small bumps! Even skied some of the trees over at Snowden. Awesome day!

217.JPG

212.JPG

211.JPG

206.JPG

205.JPG

190.JPG

192.JPG

199.JPG

steamboat1

The rain Sun. morning was not kind to K. Skied there yesterday (Mon.) & slush puddles, streams across the trails were everywhere. I don't think K-1 gondi will make it to next weekend. The run out out of the canyon area is just about toast at the bottom. They'll need to move snow from other areas to keep it skiable. The whole base area around the gondi was a mess. What a dramatic change between Thurs. (when I last skied K) & Mon. Skied Sugarbush Sun. right after the rain ended & it seemed to have fared much better, no streams or slush puddles on the trails or at least very little. To me Sugarbush was in much better shape. Even Gatehouse & North Lynx trails still had good coverage but I read they closed them for the season Sun. If I was going skiing in VT. this week/weekend I'd head to Sugarbush or Stowe. Skied Stowe Fri-Sat. before the rain & the mountain was still in great shape. Even natural trails (Goat, upper Liftline & Starr) were open top to bottom. Don't know how they made out after the rain though. Didn't ski Jay or Smuggs so I can't comment on those areas

jaysunn

@steamboat and @woodcore.

I am mostly concrernd about the rain and snowpack melt up above the CT river. we can et hammered if it all lines up again, IRENE? Maybe?

4aprice

The rain Sun. morning was not kind to K. Skied there yesterday (Mon.) & slush puddles, streams across the trails were everywhere. I don't think K-1 gondi will make it to next weekend. The run out out of the canyon area is just about toast at the bottom. They'll need to move snow from other areas to keep it skiable. The whole base area around the gondi was a mess. What a dramatic change between Thurs. (when I last skied K) & Mon. Skied Sugarbush Sun. right after the rain ended & it seemed to have fared much better, no streams or slush puddles on the trails or at least very little. To me Sugarbush was in much better shape. Even Gatehouse & North Lynx trails still had good coverage but I read they closed them for the season Sun. If I was going skiing in VT. this week/weekend I'd head to Sugarbush or Stowe. Skied Stowe Fri-Sat. before the rain & the mountain was still in great shape. Even natural trails (Goat, upper Liftline & Starr) were open top to bottom. Don't know how they made out after the rain though. Didn't ski Jay or Smuggs so I can't comment on those areas

It wasn't just the rain Sunday. Saturday there were streams of water at Snowden base and K-1. It became almost a lake Sunday but we stayed up at Canyon Quad and had no problems. The base at Superstar was hanging in there as well. Most things above the base skied fine. Ovation was in incredible shape. But the runout could be a problem and the stairs aren't an option as they were covered well both times I skied Upper Catwalk. My season being done I'm obviously not upset and once again consider my Spring Pass purchase $ well spent.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

It wasn't just the rain Sunday. Saturday there were streams of water at Snowden base and K-1. It became almost a lake Sunday but we stayed up at Canyon Quad and had no problems. The base at Superstar was hanging in there as well. Most things above the base skied fine. Ovation was in incredible shape. But the runout could be a problem and the stairs aren't an option as they were covered well both times I skied Upper Catwalk. My season being done I'm obviously not upset and once again consider my Spring Pass purchase $ well spent.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

The Canyon quad wasn't an option yesterday, wish it were. There was very little snow left where you turn for the lift at the base anyway. The only lifts running were K-1, Snowdon triple, Snowshed quad & of course Superstar. Didn't have any streams or lakes at Sugarbush Sun. even after the rain. No such problems at Stowe Sat. or Fri. for that matter either. Glad you got your monies worth out of the K Spring Pass. My K season pass cost is down to $16.20 per day & I have at least a couple of days left before I hang it up.

Lower Ovation was toast yesterday afternoon, believe it was closed today. Double Dipper isn't far behind. Cascade, Downdraft & East Fall still had good coverage though as well as the North Ridge trails.

Last edited:

dmw

Could be just for tomorrow, but their website now has only Superstar and Snowshed quads open. Could we have seen the last of K1? I was thinking of going Thursday or Friday, maybe SB instead.