• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lost ski areas

Cannonball

I'm generally neutral..... however cell towers serves people around the area. from i've read the original plan for the turbines was to connect to a NSTAR grid which services MA. So it doesn't service people around the place. not sure if those plans have changed tho.

Yeah, pretty much all of us can't see the source of our electricity. Can you?

deadheadskier

Staff member

I can hear the weekly warning test siren every Saturday at 12:30 pm from the Seabrook nuke plant. We live at the far edge of the fall out zone.

Should I do a dance and be psyched for locally produced power? ;)

legalskier

Never skied there but googling around I came upon this:

"Year Round Skiing

In October of 2002, Tenney was purchased by a Japanese company called SnowMagic. The ski area was reopened for the 2002-03 season, after which the company's year-round SnowMagic snowmaking system was installed.

While some summertime operations occurred during 2003, the system did not work out. Tenney then closed yet again for the 2006-2007 season."
www.newenglandskihistory.com
Snowmagic's site: www.snowmagic.com/technology.php

Intriguing but vague. Anyone care to comment?

jack97

I have no problems with the wind turbines off the cape as long as they service the local area with the new big homes that consume all that electricity.

And to answer that orignal q, yes I do know where most of our electricity comes from. I had been in meetings where a big utility had to figure out how to get more production to service higher consumption. They are exploring stuff that boggles my mind.

Cannonball

I can hear the weekly warning test siren every Saturday at 12:30 pm from the Seabrook nuke plant. We live at the far edge of the fall out zone.

Should I do a dance and be psyched for locally produced power? ;)

Exactly! I can hear the Pilgrim nuke sirens. Unfortunately I'm more like in the middle of the zone. But I use as much power as anyone. So being part of the demand-side problem it's hard to complain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Never heard of cell phone towers killing migrating birds though.

I'm sure the occasional fish gets unlucky at hydro stations and plenty of animals get killed or have their habitats destroyed by coal and natural gas mining as well.

If a bird population can figure out every year how to travel from Berlin, NH in the summer to the exact same location in Mexico every winter, they'll eventually evolve and learn to give a wide berth to some wind towers in Plymouth, NH.

MadMadWorld

I'm sure the occasional fish gets unlucky at hydro stations and plenty of animals get killed or have their habitats destroyed by coal and natural gas mining as well.

If a bird population can figure out every year how to travel from Berlin, NH in the summer to the exact same location in Mexico every winter, they'll eventually evolve and learn to give a wide berth to some wind towers in Plymouth, NH.

Darwinism at its finest!

Mapnut

Never skied there but googling around I came upon this:

"Year Round Skiing

In October of 2002, Tenney was purchased by a Japanese company called SnowMagic. The ski area was reopened for the 2002-03 season, after which the company's year-round SnowMagic snowmaking system was installed.

While some summertime operations occurred during 2003, the system did not work out. Tenney then closed yet again for the 2006-2007 season."
www.newenglandskihistory.com
Snowmagic's site: www.snowmagic.com/technology.php

Intriguing but vague. Anyone care to comment?

That was quite a saga; we followed it on Snowjournal. It was more of a "fiasco" than a "didn't work out". Essentially it was an electric ice maker that could cover a small area at great expense, which quickly melted.
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic2774 "Snow is flying at Tenney" Well, not exactly 'at' Tenney
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic3123 "Tenney Mountain Entertainment"
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic5489 "techless Tenney"

4aprice

Tenney was one of the original Ski 93 areas. I have a brochure circa aprox 1972 that has a neat map of the area encompassing Ski 93 at that time (pre Bretton). Mittersill was also a big player. I glad I got to ski there when it was open and remember enjoying it (woods were out of play but looked interesting). One thing I do remember was how nice the people were. There was a group of regulars who were having a spaghetti dinner that night at the lodge and they were enthusiastically trying to get us to go. (we had tix to Dartmouth Hockey game that night). The area they were trying to expand to looked really interesting. I would definitely re-visit if they were to open again. BTW Does anyone know if there is still memorabilia for Ski 93 around. I would love to get my hands on a Ski 93 T or pin (have all the individual areas including Tenney and Mitt) or poster etc.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

What the locals don't like are the transmission lines. you can see them as you drive up 93 right after the exit to Rumney.

Actually those transmission lines are not related to that. The power from those travels to the Fairgrounds Substaion in Plymouth and delivered up the power lines along Tenney Mountain Highway. When you look at the lines there you will see three sets of three lines for three phase power. These turbines are primarily for carbon credits to offset coal generated power or other "dirty" power to reduce costly penalties. I will take a picture of the power lines form there and post later.

Hard to see but here are some of the Wind Turbines that dot this area
WindTurbines.png

Boardguy

Friends had a condo there back in the late 80's and we went up for a weekend. Conditions were good and though I don't remember much about the trails we did have a nice time skiing there. IIRC Tenney was kind of kicked back and as mentioned above not crowded. The sort of place I enjoy. Ten years later we ended up at Burke. Last season on one of our trips home my son and I got off 93 and drove out there, sad seeing it closed.

chuckstah

I skied at Tenney many times during one season years ago, probably in the late 80's or early 90's. They had a promo for one year with free skiing every Wednesday no strings attached. I remember good glades, both on and off map, and OK cruisers. It certainly lacked any sustained steeps. The place was usually packed on the free days, and they made some revenue on food and beverage. The summit lift was SLOW! Trails were also cut skiers left above lift access. This was future development that never was completed. I have an old trail map somewhere showing this future development. I will have to try to find it!

MadMadWorld

Actually those transmission lines are not related to that. The power from those travels to the Fairgrounds Substaion in Plymouth and delivered up the power lines along Tenney Mountain Highway. When you look at the lines there you will see three sets of three lines for three phase power. These turbines are primarily for carbon credits to offset coal generated power or other "dirty" power to reduce costly penalties. I will take a picture of the power lines form there and post later.

Hard to see but here are some of the Wind Turbines that dot this area
View attachment 12395

I think you can see those from 91 South as well.