• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

El Niño, Spanish for the Niño

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/el-nino-effects/

Looks like there is a more-than-decent chance of a large El Niño event this year? I've been trying to find any information on how these have historically impact the New England ski season. Other than that the East Coast winter is "warmer and drier" than average I can't find much info. I didn't even remember 2004 was an El Niño year. Should I make sure my rock skis are ready to go, or just try to move to Mammoth for the year?

yeggous

Honesly there is very little detectable impact in New England. With that said there is some correlation. Weak positive ENSI years are snowier than average, strong positive less snowy. Bottom line is there is little to no predictive value.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I cross posted something from EpicSki in another thread, but I think the stronger the El Nino, the less correlation, and this is supposed to be a pretty strong one.