• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How does some someone ski more than 50 days per season

glennz

Yup. Very lucky the wife loves it as much as me. She topped 50 days this year as well, as did our grandaughter who lives with us. My extra days were mid-week with "the boys". Semi-retiring and moving to MTW Valley this fall, so going for 100 next year! Suspect I'll burn out before then, but I'm going to try.

dlague

Yup. Very lucky the wife loves it as much as me. She topped 50 days this year as well, as did our grandaughter who lives with us. My extra days were mid-week with "the boys". Semi-retiring and moving to MTW Valley this fall, so going for 100 next year! Suspect I'll burn out before then, but I'm going to try.

That is awesome!

Vortex

First secure lodging every weekend from Mid October through the end of April. Ski every Holiday day,every weekend a few nights if you can. That puts you over 50.. Tell you non ski family and Friends I will see you in May. You need vacation time or a non m-f 9 to 5 job to get more. 80 is always a goal. I usually get lazy and don't wait out a wind hold day. I will just miss 80.

yeggous

First secure lodging every weekend from Mid October through the end of April. Ski every Holiday day,every weekend a few nights if you can. That puts you over 50.. Tell you non ski family and Friends I will see you in May. You need vacation time or a non m-f 9 to 5 job to get more. 80 is always a goal. I usually get lazy and don't wait out a wind hold day. I will just miss 80.

This has always been my plan. My problem hitting 80 is bad hangovers and rain. I should get to 70 days if I can go once in May.

abc

My family often comes a day or two shy of 40 which is very doable! Need to commit! 50 Days will be the holy grail. More than that probably not happening unless I retire or quit my job which neither will happen any time soon - gotta pay the bills!

What I have extracted from most posts on this thread is 40-50 is pushing it for most with 50 being the extreme upper limit! More than fifty - well you either work for a ski area, are retired or have a very flexible job!

Is 50 days the new age working ski bum sort of speak?
For the northeast? Probably. Length of season is the most critical issue. We simply have way shorter season than out west.

If you push to rack up more days in our short season, you'll find some of those "extra days" might coincide with extremely marginal conditions. I'm not sure I would personally go for those days just to say I hit 50.

Frankly, I'm not nearly as obsessed about the number. If I ski 20 days, enjoy the skiing, AND enjoy whatever other non-skiing activities, that's better than 50 days with grumpy family and no friends.

Not to mention I actually love my job and will not give it up just to ski (yes, sacrilege, I know)

Smellytele

If i would have raced this year i would be at 45. I missed a lot of weekend days that i may have gotten but sometimes sleep is good and money is not always falling from the trees.

xwhaler

I work full time and feel around 25-30 is a good # for me. It allows me to ski a good amount while also allowing me to be there for the family on the wknds. If I wanted to do much more than that I'd have to really burn some PTO midweek and ski and/or go out west and do 5+ days over a week.
This season I got 25 days in with a season spanning my son's age 8-14 mos.....I have a patient/understanding wife!
Best season I've had since working FT was the season my wife and I had a seasonal rental up at Saddleback. We both were working FT and both in grad school at night and I got in 47 days. Up every wknd from thanksgiving thru Mid April and some longer stretches as well

My standard season is late Nov thru early/mid April so I don't participate in the very early or very late season's.

Last edited:

snoseek

As far as semi normal people I know you win this hands down. Year after year the numbers are always impressive

HowieT2

I've never hit 50 but consistently been doing 40-45 the last 5 years or so. I could do 50 if I didn't take days off some times, but the last time I had a vacation and skied everyday of it, 9 days in a row, I was so tired I thought I had malaria. So now I try to ski no more than 3 days In a row, unless conditions are good and I can't resist.

Terry

I usually average 80 days a year by skiing every weekend that is skiable, climbing after they close, and night skiing 2-3 nights a week. I work and live within 15 mins of Shawnee Peak,and 50 mins from Sunday River so that makes it possible. This year my numbers are down because Jan was way cold most nights to ski. I guess I am getting old or something! Today will be 66 for the season, will ski tomorrow and then climb till it melts out so I can't make top to bottom anymore.

boston_e

My wife and I got well over 40 a few times when we were dating and pre kids. That was pretty much every weekend through the ski season plus maybe a long weekend type of western trip. We could have easily gotten over 50 if we hadn't picked sleeping in and breakfast over some bad weather days etc. where we knew the conditions were going to be crappy. Now I find there is too much stuff I also want to do to get that many days in. I've settled into that 20ish zone as a good number for me and the family.

steamboat1

I'm at 39 days for this season so far. Took a pass on about 3-4 days because of weather (either to cold or rain) while in VT. I also drove to VT. one weekend (BMMC) & didn't ski because my non-skiing wife was with me so we did other things. With the exception of one day trip that was only a 3 hour drive all my ski days are at least a 5 hour drive from home. Most of the time I ski 3-5 days in a row when I go which helps rack up days. On the other hand I usually only ski every other week which takes days away. I'm pretty confident I'll get 40+ days before I hang it up for the season.

jimk

Anyone here log ~50 of more ski days in separate seasons in both the Northeast US and somewhere out West? If so, where/which mountains, and how would you rate the overall quality of your ski days in the two regions? Also, do you care to compare and contrast anything else about those different experiences that was memorable; for example, weather, snow quality, logistics, transportation, etc? Thanks.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

When I was a college student I had a pass at Alpine Meadows. I'm not sure how many days I got in, but I rarely missed a day because of conditions. It was almost always sunny and mild, and even if it hadn't snowed in a while, the conditions were still enjoyable. I am much more likely to skip days here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoseek

Anyone here log ~50 of more ski days in separate seasons in both the Northeast US and somewhere out West? If so, where/which mountains, and how would you rate the overall quality of your ski days in the two regions? Also, do you care to compare and contrast anything else about those different experiences that was memorable; for example, weather, snow quality, logistics, transportation, etc? Thanks.

VT, NH, Maine, Co, UT, and CA are all places ive logged several long seasons at. Colorado was super consistent but two out the three were banner snow years much like this year was. The snow holds up freakishly good in April also.

Utah was above average 2 out of the three and overall the best snow IMO. Alta/Bird preserves pretty good, not quite as good as Summit but the powtrain could be endless at times.

3 of 3 in the Sierra have been below average. Long dry sunny stretches followed by VERY intense storm cycles that plaster the steep stuff. Can be heartbreaking at times but when it does happen its glorious. The snow falls denser allowing you to get on steep terrain without worrying about sluffing so much.

And of course here in New England. You all know the drill for that. Just when you can't take it anymore it gives. 06-07 is a good example. Dire in the beginning, insanity after valentines day.

Everywhere has good years, everywhere has bad years. I think overall Utah has the best snow surface in the lower 48 but that just me.

fbrissette

We finally hit 50 today, and it's a tie even though we got there in different ways.

We have a place on the hill. We spent pretty much every week-end there plus 5 days during the Christmas holiday and reading week. With a ski pass and being on the hill, we go out even in shitty conditions, sometimes only for an hour or two. In such conditions, I would otherwise never drive to a resort and pay lift tickets.

We'll probably get another 5 days this season. Could have hit 60 if not for having to go to Florida for 7 days during the first week of the Christmas break.

IMG_20140421_135558.jpg

Smellytele

We finally hit 50 today, and it's a tie even though we got there in different ways.

We have a place on the hill. We spent pretty much every week-end there plus 5 days during the Christmas holiday and reading week. With a ski pass and being on the hill, we go out even in shitty conditions, sometimes only for an hour or two. In such conditions, I would otherwise never drive to a resort and pay lift tickets.

We'll probably get another 5 days this season. Could have hit 60 if not for having to go to Florida for 7 days during the first week of the Christmas break.

What is reading week? Is reading allowed the other 51 weeks of the year?

Vortex

As far as semi normal people I know you win this hands down. Year after year the numbers are always impressive

I looked for you on Monday. Join Terry and I sat at the Cat if they open back up. Just like old times. We need snow monster and JerryG to make it complete. 3 days at loaf the flowing weekend. I probably will have to do another day to make 80.

And by the way. Nobody does it better than you.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
in college i used to get 130 days per season from October to May. I lived in Burlington, only went to class on Tuesdays, worked nights and some days was only able to ski for an hour. Now, i work at a mountain and get about 75. there are some days that are just too hectic. and a good portion of that 75 are spent teaching. but i count those.

i can see that as my kids get older, i'll force myself into more days based on their free time. it;d be nice to break 100 again. To be honest, its kind of tough when you're at one hill for the whole season. i miss traveling around.