• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Am I the problem?

Edd

I think the difference is that the first 2 aren't actually that cheap, they are just bad. PBR is equally bad, but at $5.99 for a 6-pack of tall boys I won't pass it up if I'm looking to swill some lighter weight alc.

If you're up for hitting Wildcat on Monday I'll treat you to a couple of those crappy tall boys.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

Jay was great today. Would have thought it was a thaw - freeze but it wasn't. Coverage was shockingly great for this time of year. If you want to ski trees I would go to ASAP. I think some of the runouts will be closed before the glades

MadMadWorld

Ouch. This is a bit harsh!

I used to drink cheap beer once upon a time: bud, coors light, regal select (has anyone else heard of that one?!), etc. Over the years I tried different stuff, and now I drink mostly ales and ipa's. Hopefully it doesn't make me a pretentious a-hole when I politely decline the offer of a cheap beer, it's just that it genuinely doesn't taste good to me now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fact....you are a pretentious a-hole.

snoseek

I love good quality beer, I love cheap beer, I love all beer. One of my favorites is Coors bqt in the yellow can. Beer is good stuff, no need to classify people by what they drink...I mean I guess you can but it's just overall a waste of brain cells.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In regards to PBR (and what BenedictGomez was getting at), I think it's more a case of "self-classification." For some reason in the last ten years, it became "cool" to drink PBR.

I honestly don't care what people drink. My wife was drinking PBRs on our first date. She was just out of college, broke and PBRs were cheap at the bar. She's graduated from PBR to shitty fruity beers, but hey, I haven't kicked her out of bed for it. ;)

Terry

I,ve got no problem with pbr. Right now I have pbr, bud, tuckermans. sam adams, and smuttynose in my beer fridge. Take your pick!

There was a group of about 15 or 20 people who seemed to be in their mid to upper 20's. They were having lots of fun, skiing in shorts (even though it was in the 30s for most of the day) and sticking mostly to the terrain park. One of them was skiing while carrying a boom-box blasting music - which I thought was pretty funny.

But things changed when we decided to ride the tram Unfortunately for us, they decided to ride the tram at the same time. Starting while we were all in line, they had no respect whatsoever for the people around them. They were drinking beer openly, and were swearing at the top of their lungs like they just got out of the navy - including one of them loudly proclaiming: "I've been shitfaced for four days straight!". There were many families in the line, including myself with an 8 and 10 year old. It became vey clear that they were all drunk.

As they entered the waiting area they walked right by the lift attendant with their beers in their hands. While inside the tram they continued to drink, swear, and yell "Party tram!" and other such things at the top of their lungs.

When we got to the top nobody on staff said a word and they went on their way. Later in the day I saw them skiing down a trail in plain sight with beers in their hand.

I don't begrudge anyone having a good time. But this really left a bad taste in my mouth. There is plenty of hill to have fun on, but when you are crammed into the tram, I am of the opinion that you really need to have some respect for the other people crammed in with you. Am I being overly sensitive about this?

OP, if you haven't already, I would suggest sending your story, with pictures, to Steve Wright at JPR, or even to Bill Stenger, the GM/co-owner. Steve is a member of this forum but likely would not see this post, since there is no reference to Jay in the title. There is nothing like a strongly worded letter from a disappointed guest to get the wheels of consequence turning. Even if you felt uncomfortable saying something at the time (and I suspect most of us would be in the same position), you can effect some positive change by expressing your displeasure to people who can do something about it. I'm with Warp Daddy on this one, there is no excuse for that sort of behavior in and the liftie should have done something.

Or, if your really want to stir the pot, post this up on the "Moments" page on the JPR website, LOL.

fbrissette

​You won't believe this. An hour ago while skiing beaver pond, I found a full can of PBR in the middle of the run. I laughed and I drank it. Under the circumstances it was actually quite good. I made sure nobody saw me however... And yes I brought back the empty can.

twinplanx

​You won't believe this. An hour ago while skiing beaver pond, I found a full can of PBR in the middle of the run. I laughed and I drank it. Under the circumstances it was actually quite good. I made sure nobody saw me however... And yes I brought back the empty can.

This is great! Wonder how it got there? Interesting marketing strategy by Pabst ;-)

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

dmw

Maybe the Jay equivalent of an Easter egg hunt.

Cornhead

Cheaper than a gallon of gas for my car, wonder if it'd run on PBR?
uploadfromtaptalk1398031423175.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

bobbutts

One time, I talked to a chick that drank Bud Light. PBR is the kind of beer you drink from a funnel or shotgun style. Either way I am pretty sure that beer is very cool and a good way to look cool and seem more interesting (to yourself).

JDMRoma

You should go play the lottery....thats some serious good luck right there !

BenedictGomez

In regards to PBR (and what BenedictGomez was getting at), I think it's more a case of "self-classification."

Pretty much. For that set, PBR has become the equivalent of the toy chihuahua accessory in the $10,000 purse of a Beverly Hills girl. You are to be "seen" drinking it - a reverse status symbol if you will.

This becomes incredibly evident when you pay attention to the individuals generally consuming it. I dont give a crap, but it does amuse me and I think it's interesting from a sociological standpoint. What's ironic is that many of these same individuals would take great umbrage if they thought/knew they were overtly demonstrating any form of "brand loyalty". Bars in parts of Brooklyn (you'd know the areas if you're familiar with NYC) now loudly advertise PBR on tap! Something unheard of 10 or 15 year ago.

pabst-meme.jpg

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Never received a note from 'Tin' but, had I, you'd have had your response. Please feel free to send along again and I'll take a fast look.

And I see just about everything out here but I've also been doing this since 1994 and have gotten, I like to think, a little better about spitting back the bait most of the time.

Tin-send it along to swright@jaypeakresort.com and I'll take a look.

steve

I have tried this and am still waiting for a response 3 months later.

dlague

I,ve got no problem with pbr. Right now I have pbr, bud, tuckermans. sam adams, and smuttynose in my beer fridge. Take your pick!

While I generally drink Pale Ales ot IPAs, I enjoy PBR when it is hot out and I have to say I had a PBR or two during ski season! If you ever pay attention, PBR is everywhere - skiing! Considered the ski bums beer of choice!

PBR_Skis_large.jpg