• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Am I the problem?

Scruffy

Pretty much. For that set, PBR has become the equivalent of the toy chihuahua accessory in the $10,000 purse of a Beverly Hills girl. You are to be "seen" drinking it - a reverse status symbol if you will.

This becomes incredibly evident when you pay attention to the individuals generally consuming it. I dont give a crap, but it does amuse me and I think it's interesting from a sociological standpoint. What's ironic is that many of these same individuals would take great umbrage if they thought/knew they were overtly demonstrating any form of "brand loyalty". Bars in parts of Brooklyn (you'd know the areas if you're familiar with NYC) now loudly advertise PBR on tap! Something unheard of 10 or 15 year ago.

I don't think the resurgence of PBR has anything to do with anti-Brand loyalty. It was repulsion of the over the top Mass-Marketing by the big 3 brewers about 10-12 years ago that brought PBR into the sights of Gen Xers in Portland OR, the epicenter of the resurgence.

Even amongst your "hispters", there is always going to be a percentage of the population the prefers the taste of an American lager. Craft brews have no appeal to this set; they'll order a bottle of their favorite swell even at a brew pub! Because of the lack of in-your-face advertising, PBR is seen as an honest brew amongst those seeking that particular light barely beer taste.

Just after sales started picking up for PBR (circa 2002) they contracted a study to find out why, since they had done nothing different and sales were previously declining. The lack on mega marketing was what the study concluded. So they kept that no hype philosophy, with the exception of promoting events in person, like skiing events. Now that the anti-hyped, grass roots, "protest beer" beer has become mainstream, it will be interesting to see it can sustain it's cool image.

Highway Star

Never received a note from 'Tin' but, had I, you'd have had your response. Please feel free to send along again and I'll take a fast look.

And I see just about everything out here but I've also been doing this since 1994 and have gotten, I like to think, a little better about spitting back the bait most of the time.

Tin-send it along to swright@jaypeakresort.com and I'll take a look.

steve

Steve, I don't think the original poster of this thread is trying to troll anyone. Sounds like a legit beef. I've been part of large group activites at ski areas, and this sounds like it crossed the line.

twinplanx

I don't think the resurgence of PBR has anything to do with anti-Brand loyalty. It was repulsion of the over the top Mass-Marketing by the big 3 brewers about 10-12 years ago that brought PBR into the sights of Gen Xers in Portland OR, the epicenter of the resurgence.

Even amongst your "hispters", there is always going to be a percentage of the population the prefers the taste of an American lager. Craft brews have no appeal to this set; they'll order a bottle of their favorite swell even at a brew pub! Because of the lack of in-your-face advertising, PBR is seen as an honest brew amongst those seeking that particular light barely beer taste.

Just after sales started picking up for PBR (circa 2002) they contracted a study to find out why, since they had done nothing different and sales were previously declining. The lack on mega marketing was what the study concluded. So they kept that no hype philosophy, with the exception of promoting events in person, like skiing events. Now that the anti-hyped, grass roots, "protest beer" beer has become mainstream, it will be interesting to see it can sustain it's cool image.

I believe it is also American owned, unlike some others...

VTKilarney

I'm the OP. Tin is somebody different. I have not contacted Jay management, and thus have not alleged that they failed to respond to me. I'm glad somebody from Jay has read this thread, though.

fbrissette

I'm the OP. Tin is somebody different. I have not contacted Jay management, and thus have not alleged that they failed to respond to me. I'm glad somebody from Jay has read this thread, though.

With the snow that's melting, it's actually pretty sad to see how many empty beer cans I have seen on the hill these past few days. Yahoos like the one you describe are very likely at the center of the problem. I have no problem with people drinking on the ski hill, but pack your empties OUT !

witch hobble

Any icy cold beer on a hot day goes down ok for me.

But I sure as hell can't tell the difference between one lightly-hopped, rice and corn infused domestic, pale lager and another. Are there distinguishable, defining characteristics?

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
HS-Agreed 100%. My bait-spitting comment relates more to my perceived lack of connection to AZ in general; I see most of what's going on but I comment on things less and less was my point.

Steve, I don't think the original poster of this thread is trying to troll anyone. Sounds like a legit beef. I've been part of large group activites at ski areas, and this sounds like it crossed the line.

MadMadWorld

I have skied many times with Tin this season and have discussed the Jay experience on several occasions. I can assure he's not trolling.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
This time with feeling. My comment about not taking the bait was more a reaction to Gord's comment about me, possibly, not seeing posts. I am here frequently, I see plenty and chose to respond to little. I've asked Tin to send along his comments directly to me as, if they were sent to me directly initially, I haven't seen them. Happy to respond.

I have skied many times with Tin this season and have discussed the Jay experience on several occasions. I can assure he's not trolling.

octopus

pbr sucks ass and op is a crybaby, just drink a beer with them next time. i think narragansett is much better in the cheap pounder category.

drjeff

pbr sucks ass and op is a crybaby, just drink a beer with them next time. i think narragansett is much better in the cheap pounder category.

PBR tastes to me like cheap beer that had some extra sweeteners added to it. Ganny's, while still a cheap beer, actually have *some* flavor above and beyond a typical cheap beer. Ganny does make some very good seasonal and limited release series beers IMHO.

PBR to me is just something I have to have when I go to Bromley out of the tie in the the Pabst family and Bromley's heritage. From the beer perspective, I'm glad that I don't ski Bromley too much!! ;) :puke:

skiNEwhere

I kept up with this thread only to a page long, and now when I just checked it, the last 2 pages are about PBR. Hmmmmmm

snoseek

I would choose PBR over Bud only because they both taste similar to me (sweet) and at least with the PBR it's gonna be cheaper.

In the end I will drink whatever's in front of me.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Since Pabst now owns Shaeffer....IMHO, Pabst (and Busch and Shaeffer) are the only beers to drink when there are no other beersl to drink.

(Remember the old Shaeffer ads....? "Shaeffer, the one beer to have when you are having more than one!).

Last edited:

VTKilarney

In my wildest dreams I did not envision such a lively discussion about PBR. It's been a very enlightening discussion, that's for sure. I had no idea that PBR had become fashionable. Who knew that all of those Longshoremen were ahead of their time?

jimk

I'm here to contribute to this important thread hijack...photo lifted from Telluride website:
telluride pbr 2.jpg

dlague

PBR is the one consistent tap you can find and just about every ski area! If not on tap, then they have the cans for sure!