• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak and I are not BFFs.

VTKilarney

So, what kind of skier are you? What are you looking for in a mountain?

As nervous as I am to admit it around here, I like to cruise groomers. Coming off of a multi-year break, I am much less adventurous than I used to be. I am finding that I need to get my confidence back. Being older has not helped.

Moe Ghoul

13317581855_198a08eb88_b(1).jpgIt's all about timing.........late march at jay this year after a nice dump. It's important to ID the strong points of any mountain you visit and determine if they mesh with your expectations. Great conditions generally outweigh almost any negative.

MadMadWorld

As nervous as I am to admit it around here, I like to cruise groomers. Coming off of a multi-year break, I am much less adventurous than I used to be. I am finding that I need to get my confidence back. Being older has not helped.

No reason to feel nervous. Many different types of skiers/riders on this board.

BenedictGomez

I enjoy skiing at Jay and they do get lots of snow but think it's a tad bit over-rated. Not even close to being the best tree/glade skiing in the Northeast. :stirpot:

It would be fine if you think it's not the best tree skiing in the northeast, but when you say "not even close", one would assume you have a list of at least 5 or 6 places with better glades skiing. This I would love to hear. IMO, Jay probably is the best glades skiing in the east (granted I've never skied ME), but even if I wanted to speculate otherwise, I certainly couldnt name 4 or 5 or 6 better places.

MadMadWorld

It would be fine if you think it's not the best tree skiing in the northeast, but when you say "not even close", one would assume you have a list of at least 5 or 6 places with better glades skiing. This I would love to hear. IMO, Jay probably is the best glades skiing in the east (granted I've never skied ME), but even if I wanted to speculate otherwise, I certainly couldnt name 4 or 5 or 6 better places.

I don't know about that but I can see the argument. It definitely has the most variety of tree skiing for all ability levels. If you are talking challenging I definitely wouldn't put it #1 but it would be in my top 5.

legalskier

View attachment 12399It's all about timing.........late march at jay this year after a nice dump. It's important to ID the strong points of any mountain you visit and determine if they mesh with your expectations. Great conditions generally outweigh almost any negative.

Moe! Welcome back! Is that you up there? ^

Certainly understandable. I can see why you weren't comfortable at Jay. Depending on how long you've been sidelined, you may want to consider a lesson or two next season- a lot has changed.

legalskier

Yup, a buddy of mine has a great camera and eye and was snapping a few pix on an awesome powder day in March at Jay. IIRC, they got almost 18-20" out of that cycle.

Sweet. Next time we'd love a TR. :smile: Don't be such a stranger.

Smellytele

I do not like tram side non-tree trails. The glades are fun. State side is much better for non-Glades and has some great glades as well. Boots and pants boots and pants. I mean glades and snow!

MadMadWorld

I do not like tram side non-tree trails. The glades are fun. State side is much better for non-Glades and has some great glades as well. Boots and pants boots and pants. I mean glades and snow!

I'd have to agree. Some of the expert trails on the tram side could be considered intermediate and I do enjoy some glades on that side (Everglade, Staircase, and Andre's). I much rather do laps on a lot of the Stateside trails and glades. Hoping for my last tree skiing of the season tomorrow!

abc

Are the trees still in play?

(they're only expecting a dusting tonight. But if that changes to noticeable accumulation, I may change my plan and dash up there...)

MadMadWorld

Are the trees still in play?

(they're only expecting a dusting tonight. But if that changes to noticeable accumulation, I may change my plan and dash up there...)

Pretty much all the glades are in play from what I've heard minus Deliverance, Face/Tuck Chutes, and some of the lower mountain intermediate glades. I'll be up there so shoot me a message if you go

abc

I'll only make the drive if the mythical "Jay Cloud" does its magic in producing some accumulation. I don't ski the trees for the challenge. It better have a couple inches of fluff in there to tempt me.

fbrissette

Pretty much all the glades are in play from what I've heard minus Deliverance, Face/Tuck Chutes, and some of the lower mountain intermediate glades. I'll be up there so shoot me a message if you go

Face chutes are definitely not skiable. Everything else is doable. Green beret is good from the alternate entrance.

It's jay peak, you're expected to ski closed runs.

Savemeasammy

Face chutes are definitely not skiable. Everything else is doable. Green beret is good from the alternate entrance.

It's jay peak, you're expected to ski closed runs.

Read between the lines here MMW: the face chutes are not skiable. But man-up and ski them anyway ;) Then you can tell your wife that you need new skis :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

Read between the lines here MMW: the face chutes are not skiable. But man-up and ski them anyway ;) Then you can tell your wife that you need new skis :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We attempted to damage them on numerous occasions. Even thought about skiing Pumphouse until the fog lifted and revealed nothing but rock. Oh well there is always next year.

fbrissette

As a hardcore Jay skier here are my thoughts on this thread in random order:

-Jay sucks for intermediate skiers;
-Jay is not great for groomers, Stateside is OK and that's about it;
-Jay glades are awesome. Anyone who says Jay is not top three out east for glades is either trolling, jealous or delusional;
-Jay is awesome for the variety of unmarked terrain - my own ski map of Jay has 78 official runs and 42 unmarked glades;
-Jay is awesome for slackcountry opportunities;
-Jay is awesome for kids;
-The tram is slow and inefficient but the top cannot handle that many skiers anyway. Waiting for the tram to ski Vermonter or Northway is something I will never understand. Otherwise, ski the tram very early or very late. As fun as some of the runs off the ridge are, none is worth a 40 minutes wait;
- Outside of a few Saturday and windhold days, there are no line-ups at Jay. Hence I fail to see the need for high-speed lifts. Even on a busy Saturday, you can ski most glades without seeing anyone else. That's what slow lifts will do for you. I love slow lifts;
- Arguably best snow and longest season out east (not counting having one run open over an extended period of time);

MadMadWorld

As a hardcore Jay skier here are my thoughts on this thread in random order:

-Jay sucks for intermediate skiers;
-Jay is not great for groomers, Stateside is OK and that's about it;
-Jay glades are awesome. Anyone who says Jay is not top three out east for glades is either trolling, jealous or delusional;
-Jay is awesome for the variety of unmarked terrain - my own ski map of Jay has 78 official runs and 42 unmarked glades;
-Jay is awesome for slackcountry opportunities;
-Jay is awesome for kids;
-The tram is slow and inefficient but the top cannot handle that many skiers anyway. Waiting for the tram to ski Vermonter or Northway is something I will never understand. Otherwise, ski the tram very early or very late. As fun as some of the runs off the ridge are, none is worth a 40 minutes wait;
- Outside of a few Saturday and windhold days, there are no line-ups at Jay. Hence I fail to see the need for high-speed lifts. Even on a busy Saturday, you can ski most glades without seeing anyone else. That's what slow lifts will do for you. I love slow lifts;
- Arguably best snow and longest season out east (not counting having one run open over an extended period of time);

In no particular order....Smuggs, Stowe, MRG all ahead of Jay. I must be delusional.