• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Podcast Thread

Edd

Not expecting this to be an epic thread at all but my love of podcasts grows stronger by the month, and recommendations are welcome.

I listen to popular ones like:

This American Life (needs no introduction)

WTF with Marc Maron: this guy is on quite a roll with TV and stand-up but this show is how he started breaking big and the interviews range from kind of boring to holy-shit-that-was-awesome. Very well read dude who's got some genuine emotional problems that he's open about. His interviews are on par with Howard Stern's in quality but this guy is not Stern. Very different vibe.

Some less well known ones below...

Judge John Hodgman: Comedic writer and performer who does some Daily Show spots. In this he presents himself as a fake judge who considers real life disputes from his listeners and gives a ruling. He's an acquired taste for sure but I find the show compelling and funny. It's very chill.

The Moth Podcast: These shows can run short, like 15 minutes, which can be nice. It features a different speaker every week telling a personal story to a live audience. I've listened to 5 of them now and they were all good.

The Slate Culture Gabfest and NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour: Two different programs that I'm lumping together because the format is so similar. Both shows have 3 or 4 hosts and they'll discuss anything current in pop culture. Slate comes at it from a more hoity-toity angle IMO but both shows have some great insights and I've gotten excellent recommendations from them for TV, movies, websites...and books and plays if you're so inclined.

That's it from me. What are you listening to?

Cannonball

Podcasts make the weekly ski drives tolerable. I listen to several of the ones you mentioned, plus:

Radiolab: Almost like This America Life in that it takes on a really broad range of subjects and dissects them. But with an amped up sound production value.

All Songs Considered: great way to hear new music.

Freakonomics: every one knows this one right?

Plus I have a slew of Spanish learning podcasts. One of the best is "News in Slow Spanish". Pretty much exactly what the title says. It's a great way to just hear Spanish at an intermediate level without going through lessons.

Savemeasammy

The only podcasts that I listen to are fantasy football related. The NPR ones sound good though. Usually on my longer ski drives (or any long drive) I listen to Pandora.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Podcasts make the weekly ski drives tolerable. I listen to several of the ones you mentioned, plus:

Radiolab: Almost like This America Life in that it takes on a really broad range of subjects and dissects them. But with an amped up sound production value.

All Songs Considered: great way to hear new music.

Freakonomics: every one knows this one right?

Plus I have a slew of Spanish learning podcasts. One of the best is "News in Slow Spanish". Pretty much exactly what the title says. It's a great way to just hear Spanish at an intermediate level without going through lessons.

Just subscribed to several of those. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

BMac

Website
apod.nasa.gov
My favorite is the Joe Rogan Experience. With 2 or 3 3 hour shows a week it is a ton of free content.

I also love Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and Common sense. Hardcore history is great for those 3 hour car rides to the mountain.

Radiolab is great although a bit infrequent and the Nerdist is usually funny with great guests.

Glenn

Glad I'm not the only one! I picked up a used ipod touch specifically to listen to podcasts when mowing the lawn. ($60 on cowboom.com).

My regulars:
AutoBlog
Freakonomics
Planet Money
Adam Carolla's Carcast

Once mowing season starts, I'll get more into the following:
Motley Fool
Dave Ramsey
Clark Howard
AutoLine This Week
AutoLine After Hours

Lifehacker had a good list of podcast that people contributed to a few months ago.

Edd

All songs Considered this week: Great tunes at the end by Dana Falconberry and also The Orwells. That Springsteen tune, not so much.

Savemeasammy

It's fantasy football podcast season again. Now that MadMadWorld and Tin are in my dynasty league, I can't name specifics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edd

Mark Maron has re-posted an interview with Robin Williams on WTF from 2010. Pretty good so far.

Edd

I will not let this thread die.

A couple of awesome podcasts I've finally caught onto:

How Did This Get Made?.....Its a few funny people recapping some of the worst films of our time. A recent episode about Rhinestone was memorable.

My Brother, My Brother and Me....Three brothers answering submitted questions. Makes me laugh to the point of tears.

Savemeasammy

Seeing this thread pop back up reminded me that I have a number of freakonomics podcasts to catch up on. I listened to a few today during my drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Just had a long drive and listened to a couple of My Brother, My Brother and Me. Good Recommendation Edd, funny stuff!

On the music side I've been listening to KEXP's Music That Matters. All of the map and mostly really good stuff.