• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

judge-dismisses-mass-familys-lawsuit-against-loon-mountain

VTKilarney

could be the counterclaim asserted that the plaintiff was the cause of the collision. Whether that is true or not, the claim would have to be asserted to preserve the right to make that argument. It doesn't really tell you anything about the case.

A defense may be distinct from a counterclaim. For their counterclaim, what damages had the ski area suffered? The loss of its instructor?

legalskier

could be the counterclaim asserted that the plaintiff was the cause of the collision.

But I would think the "plaintiff" is the boy, which doesn't explain a "countersuit" against his parents. Unless the reporter is just confused (not an uncommon occurrence).

HowieT2

A defense may be distinct from a counterclaim. For their counterclaim, what damages had the ski area suffered? The loss of its instructor?

The portion of the total damages attributable to the plaintiffs negligence. So for example if the damages are a million and plaintiff is responsible for 50%, defendant is only liable for 500k.

HowieT2

But I would think the "plaintiff" is the boy, which doesn't explain a "countersuit" against his parents. Unless the reporter is just confused (not an uncommon occurrence).
If the boy is a minor, the suit would have to have been brought by his parent in their capacity as legal guardian. Hence the counterclaim against them.

bobbutts

Sounds like the right ruling. The countersuit and the other lawsuit against the instructor sound more interesting. Really wonder what the countersuit is about.

HowieT2

Sounds like the right ruling. The countersuit and the other lawsuit against the instructor sound more interesting. Really wonder what the countersuit is about.

the counterclaim is a formality. boiler plate language that appears in virtually every case. It doesnt tell you anything about the situation

HowieT2

its difficult to comment on the actual ruling from the press reports about it. Did the plaintiffs assert claims of negligence against the resort independent of the actions of the instructor involved? Is that what the judge dismissed??? if so, I would agree that the ruling is likely correct. However, if the judge dismissed the claims against the resort by virtue of its vicarious liability for the acts of its employee while in the scope of his employment, I dont think that is correct and I think there is an earlier case holding otherwise.

VTKilarney

The portion of the total damages attributable to the plaintiffs negligence. So for example if the damages are a million and plaintiff is responsible for 50%, defendant is only liable for 500k.

Contributory or comparative negligence would be a defense and not a counterclaim.

HowieT2

Contributory or comparative negligence would be a defense and not a counterclaim.
technically yes, but we are going off the report from the newspaper and who knows how it was asserted in the pleadings.

VTKilarney

technically yes, but we are going off the report from the newspaper and who knows how it was asserted in the pleadings.

Technically? That's like saying that somebody is technically pregnant or that PBR is technically awful beer. Contributory and/or comparative negligence are defenses. Period. FRCP 8 requires contributory negligence to be raised as an affirmative defense.

In any event, I looked up the counterclaim made by Loon Mountain. It's a claim of indemnification. Apparently they paid attention to the fine print included in the application for a season pass.

Last edited:

Domeskier

In any event, I looked up the counterclaim made by Loon Mountain. It's a claim of indemnification. Apparently they paid attention to the fine print included in the application for a season pass.

So the plaintiffs could get a judgment against Loon and, if Loon prevailed on the counterclaim, they would have to pay it right back to them? Presumably in addition to any other indemnifiable legal expenses incurred by Loon in the process? Wall Street has nothing on these guys.

VTKilarney

So the plaintiffs could get a judgment against Loon and, if Loon prevailed on the counterclaim, they would have to pay it right back to them? Presumably in addition to any other indemnifiable legal expenses incurred by Loon in the process? Wall Street has nothing on these guys.

If the counterclaim sticks, that's exactly right. They would be worse off than before they started even if they won. As it stands right now they have to fight reimbursing Loon's legal fees. There are some defenses to the counterclaim, though.

HowieT2

Technically? That's like saying that somebody is technically pregnant or that PBR is technically awful beer. Contributory and/or comparative negligence are defenses. Period. FRCP 8 requires contributory negligence to be raised as an affirmative defense.

ah, interesting. Good job.
that may be void as against public policy, but I would think nh law would apply.