The 2014 Boating Thread - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Up at Lake George. Weather similar to late September up here. Strong south wind and chop yesterday. Sunny today and a little warmer we hope but will be out boating no matter what.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Finally got out on the Susquehanna in my solo canoe, 6 mile round trip, from my house to my childhood swimming hole and back. In my defense, the river had been quite high for the first half of the Summer. I wish I'd gotten out more, great exercise. Hopefully I can get some time out this Fall.

Attachment 13200
    Signs of Fall's approach

Attachment 13201

Attachment 13202
    My childhood swimming hole, one of the few deep spots, 10-12ft, pretty shallow everywhere else.

Attachment 13203
    Narrows where I always tow my boat with a rope while headed upstream. It wasn't like this when I was a kid, a creek empties into the river here, over the years so much rock has been deposited by the creek that the river narrows to 30 yrds or so. I have paddled through it, but you have to paddle extremely hard, or you're on a liquid treadmill, much easier to get out and walk.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Finally got out on the Susquehanna in my solo canoe, 6 mile round trip, from my house to my childhood swimming hole and back. In my defense, the river had been quite high for the first half of the Summer. I wish I'd gotten out more, great exercise. Hopefully I can get some time out this Fall.

Attachment 13200
    Signs of Fall's approach

Attachment 13201

Attachment 13202
    My childhood swimming hole, one of the few deep spots, 10-12ft, pretty shallow everywhere else.

Attachment 13203
    Narrows where I always tow my boat with a rope while headed upstream. It wasn't like this when I was a kid, a creek empties into the river here, over the years so much rock has been deposited by the creek that the river narrows to 30 yrds or so. I have paddled through it, but you have to paddle extremely hard, or you're on a liquid treadmill, much easier to get out and walk.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Why can i see the pictures

TR Lake George NY Aug 14-18:

Took an extended weekend away from the home waters to beautiful Lake George NY. Very fall like at first (a few leaves turning) but got better every day

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery...MG_0378_1_.jpg

The New York Thruway Shuffle. The Durango could probably do it with its eyes closed (she does it all year long) but this time she's bring her friend along for the ride.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery...MG_0385_1_.jpg

Stayed at a really nice place called Treasure Cove Resort. Docking, nice beach and dock area to hang out at, plenty of grills and fire pits to sit around and swill. Nice rooms, very happy with the choice we made.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery...MG_0390_1_.jpg

Dinner at the Boardwalk by boat. The Minni Ha-Ha Paddle Steamboat in the back ground. That ship throws up an incredible wake and will really bounce you around if your not careful. Navigated back to Treasure Cove in the dark, a little scary with some of the hazards but successfully.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery...MG_0413_1_.jpg

Lake Hopatcong invades Lake George. 4 other boats from Hopatcong accompanied us up on the trip (1 not there for photo). This is the beautiful sandbar at Log Bay. Its such a beautiful place to hangout with a beautiful sand bottom. There is a volleyball net set up in knee deep water, and we played football and wiffleball along with swimming in the crystal clear water.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery...423_000_1_.jpg

Beautiful shoreline around the bay with hiking trails and rocks to climb up on. This shot is an overview of the bay from some rocks on the shore.

To wrap up the weekend we went down to an area that has cliffs of 25, 45 and 65' from which to jump into the water. The boy did the 45 footer and our friends son did the 65 footer. Unfortunately cell service up there is sketchy so constant searching killed my phone battery and thus no pictures.

All in all a good time had by all. The girl left us for CSC Sunday morning for her senior year and the boy will be leaving for Plymouth Labor day weekend so it was a great way to end the summer. Left LG, Monday at 5 and truck and boat were back safely in the driveway at 9. A successful trip.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Last edited by 4aprice; Aug 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM.

I sailed out to meet up with Mister Moose at Cuttyhunk on Saturday. It was really blowing out of the Northeast. I really should have reefed the main but screwed up and didn't. Single handed, there's no way I can easily reef so I was pretty busy at the helm keeping the boat on a reach. It takes about 30 pounds of force on the wheel to hold her on course and probably 50+ pounds in a gust to force the boat back downwind. At Cuttyhunk, I grabbed a town rental mooring and hung out with the Moose's. It was blowing really hard right on the nose so I opted to stay over on their yacht and sail back on Sunday. As I was leaving Cuttyhunk, I had engine failure. I crossed the bay and picked up my mooring under sail after practicing a few times on moorings in the outer harbor. I'd never done that in this boat. I have a gallon+ of diesel fuel in the bilge. I'm letting the boat yard deal with it.

Another sign of the changing seasons. Boat coming out of the water either next week or the week after. Its been a good season but time to get her put to bed.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Sunday was like the last Sunday in August, not the last Sunday in September. Sailed to Cuttyhunk.

It's over. I put my boat on a boat yard mooring Saturday late-afternoon. When I checked this afternoon, they'd moved the boat to the float so it's next in line to get hauled.

Thread Information