• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2014 Boating Thread

4aprice

Pulled the boat out of storage today. Launch date looks like May 3rd. Looking forward to Bryam Cove parties, evening bar cruises, and water skiing when the water warms a bit. Last 2 seasons have featured road trips to Lake George and hopefully this year will get one at George and maybe one at Winnipesaukee. Let the fun begin.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

xwhaler

I plan to take the shrink wrap off mine next wknd with a possible shakedown cruise 1st wknd in May. If not then, we'll do it 5/17-18.

steamboat1

I'm in the boatyard just about everyday. Fairly busy launching boats & jet ski's this time of year. We have a ramp we can launch boats on up to about 25ft. but only on high tide. We have about 75 boat slips we rent out about a dozen of which can handle boats up to 50ft. We also have 14 jet ski docks. Our party fishing boat (70ft.) that my brother runs has been sailing for a couple of weeks already (striped bass fishing). I've yet to make a trip because up until this past weekend I was still skiing. It's time I switch into fishing mode.

xwhaler

I plan to take the shrink wrap off mine next wknd with a possible shakedown cruise 1st wknd in May. If not then, we'll do it 5/17-18.

So took the shrink off yesterday and hooked battery up and fired outboard up. Started nearly right away which was great since last use was Sept '12. Had my mechanic buddy with me and he noticed 2 of the cylinders were running hot.
Long story short after a bunch of diagnosis we/he thinks it's bad thermostats that were clogged in part due to normal corrosion from my heavy salt water usage.
We will replace those as well as head gaskets and new plugs.
A bit annoying as I was looking fwd to getting out their but better get it right in,my driveway vs breaking down out on the Piscataqua in heavy current.
Hopefully splash down in a few wks.....always something owning/maintaining any boat but especially an older vessel

Xwhaler,m
For a trouble free season you should always replace your thermostats (and gaskets), water pump impellor and engine zincs. A little bit of coin in the Spring beats a mid-season breakdown! Especially in salt water!

4aprice

Boat's ready but no launch yet. Everything seems to be running about 2 weeks late this year (product of our good winter) so yard work and spring clean up (having a hs graduation party so major yard work) are priority #1. Away next weekend so launch will be pushed back to the 17th (weather permitting) at the earliest.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

xwhaler

Shakedown cruise today on a local lake. After thermostat replacement, new cylinder head, and gaskets she ran great! Next stop: Piscataqua River

Attachments

• 1400357791307.jpg
    1400357791307.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 69

4aprice

Here I start the thread, get the boat ready and I'VE STILL NOT LAUNCHED. Marina doesn't have slip ready and it was too cold to go for a ride today. (and had to cut up tree that toppled last night) Hopefully next weekend will cooperate weather wise and I can get this thing started.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Our boat is in the water, and looking forward to taking it out this weekend! First time this boating season on Winni! The Nasbar opens up for the season too this weekend.

Bostonian: You keep a boat on Winni? Might be taking a road trip there with ours in August. Love that lake. Lake George is a definite (has become an annual trip-with several LK Hopatcong boats) Have fun at Naswa. Our version here on Lake Hopatcong (The Jefferson House) is a really fun place. Weekend weather looking good at this distance, can't wait to get on the water.

Alex'

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

A good Sunday and Monday out on the water. A few people ventured in but I did not. (report was it is still pretty cool). Schedule so full for June that it may be a little while before going out again but by that time hopefully the temp will have risen and it will be time to ski. This years Lake George trip starting to get planned.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cannonball

Probably not the kind of boating you guys are talking about. But we all love being on the water right? Spent most of the day clearing brush and debris to maintain passage through some upper reaches of the river. Plus some channel measurement and sampling in the salt marsh. Such a great time of year to be exploring! But then again, when isn't it?

2014-06-11 12.33.44.jpg

Huck_It_Baby

Probably not the kind of boating you guys are talking about. But we all love being on the water right? Spent most of the day clearing brush and debris to maintain passage through some upper reaches of the river. Plus some channel measurement and sampling in the salt marsh. Such a great time of year to be exploring! But then again, when isn't it?

View attachment 12787

Nice! I'm thinking of throwing an electric trolling motor on my 17 foot canoe.

Every try that?

Cannonball

Yesterday morning was a shitshow on the water! Pea soup fog didn't prevent a thousand yahoos from blasting around at top speed. We were out working on a 70' research vessel. We could see people coming on the radar. So we knew they were there, but they didn't know we were. Had a dozen close calls that would have ended very badly if we hadn't been paying attention.
What are people thinking?

Attachments

• 1402849630932.jpg
    1402849630932.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 52

bigbog

Yesterday morning was a shitshow on the water! Pea soup fog didn't prevent a thousand yahoos from blasting around at top speed. We were out working on a 70' research vessel. We could see people coming on the radar. So we knew they were there, but they didn't know we were. Had a dozen close calls that would have ended very badly if we hadn't been paying attention.
What are people thinking?

Sounds like you're eluding to consequences of one's actions. I hear ya'...boats with lots of insurance:eek: = swap it out if damaged and let the lawyers go at it....to hell with respect for others and rules of the waters/road....the same goes for drivers...