• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing/snowboarding Bromance??

drjeff

I think we are a collection of skiers and riders who don't have many ski/boarder friends in our normal social circles. I have a few, but none are nearly as obsessive as my fellow AZers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now have many ski obsessed friends (face to face friends not jyst online friends) courtesy of ski forums! And yes my wife at first thought I was a bit crazy for meeting people that way. Now she has some great friends too from it!

Savemeasammy

I now have many ski obsessed friends (face to face friends not jyst online friends) courtesy of ski forums! And yes my wife at first thought I was a bit crazy for meeting people that way. Now she has some great friends too from it!

I think it's a great way to meet new people - and even though most live somewhat far away, it's easy to meet up on the hill! Meet ups with new people are pretty easy, too. We already know we have something to talk about!

dlague

I think it's a great way to meet new people - and even though most live somewhat far away, it's easy to meet up on the hill! Meet ups with new people are pretty easy, too. We already know we have something to talk about!

Not mention, everyone I met so far have been fun to ski/ride with! Looking forward to next year already!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

Not mention, everyone I met so far have been fun to ski/ride with! Looking forward to next year already!

Agreed. Hopefully we can have more spousal/significant other participation next year!

The Sneak

I dunno
I rode the chair with WJenness a week or so ago at Sunday River and we all freely introduced ourselves by AZ names. Is that sad? I never thought anything of it. On the other hand...I am on a certain automotive forum and I have this awful, stupid handle and even in Oregon managed to be embarrassed by it.

AZ is cool. Real new england skiing, way more relevant to my interests than TGR or newschoolers or whatever.

dlague

Agreed. Hopefully we can have more spousal/significant other participation next year!

True! Actually Savemeasammy you are the only one my wife did not ski with! She had gone in to help with Ride and Ski!

deadheadskier

Staff member
AZ is cool. Real new england skiing, way more relevant to my interests than TGR or newschoolers or whatever.

Absolutely

Great community and Greg really deserves a lot of credit for getting this forum going. I'm not taking anything away from TGR, Epicski, Snowjournal and many other forums as I'm sure they've lead to similar introductions from the net to in real life for other skiers and riders all over the country. I know PAskiandRide is great forum for MASH as well.

For NY and NE though, AZ really works because of it's geographic focus.

And in regards to spouse participation. My wife doesn't ski, but she's been to a couple of AZ summits even as a non-skier and has grown to appreciate that great relationships online and off that I've made solely because of AZ. :daffy: :beer:

dlague

Absolutely

Great community and Greg really deserves a lot of credit for getting this forum going. I'm not taking anything away from TGR, Epicski, Snowjournal and many other forums as I'm sure they've lead to similar introductions from the net to in real life for other skiers and riders all over the country. I know PAskiandRide is great forum for MASH as well.

And in regards to spouse participation. My wife doesn't ski, but she's been to a couple of AZ summits even as a non-skier and has grown to appreciate that great relationships online and off that I've made solely because of AZ. :daffy: :beer:

Definitely have to make it to this event next season!

C-Rex

Wow! Look how well we all get along when we've been skiing great conditions and are happy with our season. Sure beats back in January when everyone was at each other's throats. LOL!

My girlfriend thinks I'm weird about the meetups too. She was concerned that Savemeasammy would murder me in my sleep when we joined up for the Smuggs trip. I have a few friends that ski or ride, but none of them are as obsessed as I am, so a lot of the time I'd rather ride with someone I've never met face to face, but is equally obsessed.

Puck it

Absolutely

I knew you loved me. My fellow Ewok.

MadMadWorld

Wow! Look how well we all get along when we've been skiing great conditions and are happy with our season. Sure beats back in January when everyone was at each other's throats. LOL!

My girlfriend thinks I'm weird about the meetups too. She was concerned that Savemeasammy would murder me in my sleep when we joined up for the Smuggs trip. I have a few friends that ski or ride, but none of them are as obsessed as I am, so a lot of the time I'd rather ride with someone I've never met face to face, but is equally obsessed.

Well I think your gf had every right to be concerned about him.

As far as not arguing....never had "issues" with anyone here!

abc

My summer activity is road biking. And I belong to a bike club. As a matter of fact, I have belonged to a local bike club for the past 20 years, in all the places I lived during that time.

From that background/perspective, I don't feel the online forum is all that different.

In my local club, I would sign up for a ride (or lead one) at a random location and follow the group onto some roads I may not have been on. I don't always know everyone in the group I'll be riding with. But there's the understanding we'll all ride about the same speed. And if in doubt? Call the lead organizer, aka "leader", who may in actuality 'lead' from the rear! So, meeting up someone with a "handle" for the first time at a random mountain/chair is...old hat for me.

My Mom made the same usual comment when I told her I'll be meeting up with someone I only know online. But I pointed out she goes to her bridge club (as a house player) to play with whomever shows up, and often enough, she had a blast with the stranger! (if anyone play bridge, it's a very intimate game, you cooperate with your partner by pre-established "codes")

While the formal "clubs" may have mild rules, no one is enforcing them. It's really the mutual understanding we're in it to share a common way of enjoying the activity. And that's good enough for me, and for most people.

Am I grateful the forum exist? Absolutely. Strange way of meeting other skiers? Not really, no more strange than traditional clubs.

Still, a big thanks to whoever started AZ and Nick for keeping it going.

Last edited:

dlague

Does that make AZ sort of a skimatch.com?

Hey maybe you are on to something! Actually many of our friends do not ski or ski poorly enough that it is limited (i am no expert by any means but they need to keep up for the most part). The nice part (for most) - you can meet up with others and push yourself and learn things along the way!

Actually AZ is a FB alternative for me. Rather seeing arbitrary status updates that do not really interest me I can come here and share a common interest and even find things to laugh about or share! Oh and let's not forget the occassional WWE rounds!

Bumpsis

My summer activity is road biking. And I belong to a bike club. As a matter of fact, I have belonged to a local bike club for the past 20 years, in all the places I lived during that time.

From that background/perspective, I don't feel the online forum is all that different.

In my local club, I would sign up for a ride (or lead one) at a random location and follow the group onto some roads I may not have been on. I don't always know everyone in the group I'll be riding with. But there's the understanding we'll all ride about the same speed. And if in doubt? Call the lead organizer, aka "leader", who may in actuality 'lead' from the rear! So, meeting up someone with a "handle" for the first time at a random mountain/chair is...old hat for me.

My Mom made the same usual comment when I told her I'll be meeting up with someone I only know online. But I pointed out she goes to her bridge club (as a house player) to play with whomever shows up, and often enough, she had a blast with the stranger! (if anyone play bridge, it's a very intimate game, you cooperate with your partner by pre-established "codes")

While the formal "clubs" may have mild rules, no one is enforcing them. It's really the mutual understanding we're in it to share a common way of enjoying the activity. And that's good enough for me, and for most people.

Am I grateful the forum exist? Absolutely. Strange way of meeting other skiers? Not really, not too different from other activity clubs.

Still, a big thanks to whoever started AZ and Nick for keeping it going.

I'm in full agreement with the general sentiment expressed in this thread. It's all cool. I was very happy to meet up with a couple of AZers during my recent Cannon trip and got to see a part of a mountian that I did not know before (glades that I would probaby bypass).
I too have very few friends that ski/ride at a level that I aspire to so it's a great opportunity to share the mountian stoke with like minded folk.

I'm hoping to extend that to some Mountain biking trips or perhaps a good hike.