• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alleged theft at Smuggs

C-Rex

The prescription monitoring systems make it difficult or impossible for doctors to fly under the radar. These doctors get busted and nothing is done to help patients of these doctors. A Massachusetts doctor was just arrested a few months ago for over prescribing and insurance fraud. He had 6 offices all over Massachusetts with 1 or 2 PAs prescribing for him at each location. Patients would fail drug tests over and over again with no consequences. The prescriptions he wrote were ridiculous and would kill a person just by taking his prescriptions as prescribed. As long as he could keep billing the insurance company he was happy. And boy did he charge them! The final straw was that police found his prescription bottles on 5 overdoses. Sorry for the rant but this is the stuff that really pisses me off. These are my favorite people to nail.

They should make those doctors pay for their patients addiction treatment. It's amazing how many horrible doctors there are out there.

legalskier

are background and criminal history checks not standard employment screenings in VT?

This source states that "Vermont law doesn't limit employer use of criminal records."
www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/employer-use-arrest-conviction-records-vermont.html

So they are free to do so if they wish, thought there may be some requirements under federal laws like Title 7 and the FCRA.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

Federal EEO laws make using criminal record checks a minefield.

In particular, this rule from Title VII of the Civil Rights Act:
Title VII prohibits employers from using policies or practices that screen individuals based on criminal history information if:
They significantly disadvantage Title VII-protected individuals such as African Americans and Hispanics; AND
They do not help the employer accurately decide if the person is likely to be a responsible, reliable, or safe employee.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
They should make those doctors pay for their patients addiction treatment. It's amazing how many horrible doctors there are out there.

Well...

The pharmaceutical industry is not completely innocent here.

catskills

In short FDA messed up big time in 1995. Years after the fact Doctors can not over prescribe Opioids due to required computer checking and addicts are forced to go to the street and buy cheap Heroin. Heroin is easier to get for a minor than an illegal 6-pack of beer. FDA is now approving Naloxone (Narcan®) so parents can save their addicted kids from an overdose. Kids hate it because Narcan brings them out of their high.

[h=1]FDA Timeline Addressing Opioid Misuse[/h]
December: OxyContin (oxycodone controlled-release) approved; first formulation of oxycodone that allowed dosing every 12 hours instead of every 4 to 6 hours. OxyContin would soon become a focal point of opioid abuse issues that would continue to escalate into the late 2000s and beyond.

• At the time of approval, FDA believed the controlled-release formulation of OxyContin would result in less abuse potential, since the drug would be absorbed slowly and there would not be an immediate “rush” or high that would promote abuse. In part, FDA based its judgment on the prior marketing history of a similar product, MS Contin, a controlled-release formulation of morphine approved by FDA and used in the medical community since 1987 without significant reports of abuse and misuse.
  • Also at the time of OxyContin’s approval, FDA product labeling warned of the danger of abuse of the drug and that crushing a controlled-release tablet followed by intravenous injection could result in a lethal overdose. There was no evidence to suggest at the time that crushing the controlled-release capsule followed by oral ingestion or snorting would become widespread and lead to a high level of abuse.

bigbog

Another problem is how incredibly lax the punishments in Vermont's legal system generally are.
Not only VT....you can insert Maine in there as well.

This woman stole $70,000, only repaid $20,000, and did less than 3 months in jail. A lot of people in this country wouldnt call that a "punishment", they'd call it a "great deal".

...and worth the risk when they haven't opened a book in their lives.... Imho there needs to be some education with testing in addition to manual skills...in order to get OUT of prison. It's the only way they're going to learn that a job has to be earned...

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
My overall point though is that in Vermont the culture has really changed. There seems to be a "Take Care of No. 1" attitude over a collective interest in looking out for one another.

BenedictGomez

The woman I just mentioned stole money from the State to pay her own property taxes.

Sad, but also hysterical. That's like if I owed you $4000, and "repaid you" by pawning the $4000 guitar I stole from your house.

How Smuggs missed this is beyond me. I would have thought that this woman would not be able to find work with anyone after stealing so much money from her employer.

They obviously didnt do a background check, or they're (moronically) philosophically opposed to it.

Who the hell supports that legislation?

It's a relatively recent addition to the liberal agenda. Not like issue #1 or #2, more like #19 or #20 down the line, but it's there. Several states with Democrat governors have pushed for this the last few years, and some have gotten it, at least for State employees (for now). Illinois was in the news recently for this, for example.

I hope Smuggs has learned it's lesson and has hired a reputable firm to audit their accounting.

This is a great point too. I guarantee Smuggs doesn't have a sophisticated (or even basic frankly) ERP system in place like PeopleSoft or a satisfactory accounting or PO process with ACH payment. Makes it 1000x harder to embezzle.

Domeskier

It's a relatively recent addition to the liberal agenda. Not like issue #1 or #2, more like #19 or #20 down the line, but it's there. Several states with Democrat governors have pushed for this the last few years, and some have gotten it, at least for State employees (for now). Illinois was in the news recently for this, for example.

Does the legislation cover perpetrators of felonies who are otherwise required to go door to door and announce their crimal histories to their neighbors, or are they not worthy of those protections?

VTKilarney

Sad, but also hysterical. That's like if I owed you $4000, and "repaid you" by pawning the $4000 guitar I stole from your house.
Except that in Vermont this meant that she stole from the state to pay a municipality. It still has some irony, though.

snoseek

As scary as it may sound I am in the legalize all drugs camp. More money needed to properly educate and rehabilitate. This is working in Portugal.