• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

White Face and East Sleepers NH 1-20-07

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 1-20-07

Trails(s) Hiked: Blueberry Ledge tr, Downes Bk Tr, Kate Sleepers tr, Spur tr

Total Distance: 11.1

Difficulty: Very Difficult

Conditions: BITTER cold

Special Required Equipment: extra layers, traction would be helpful

Trip Report:

So this is #73 on my NE100 list. The day started with a much more pleasant mid 20s temperature, but it plummeted as the day progressed. At the false Whiteface summit I measured a temperature of -5F. Good trip overall, met some interesting people

Full trip report and pictures of me freezing to death here: http://hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/ESleepers070120/

P1200150_t.jpg
The next breakfast cereal? Frosted Hair?

montvm

Yes, yes it was :)

That would have been a terrible day to be above the treeline. Just ask this guy:
http://www.wmur.com/news/10812993/detail.html

Very lucky to be alive!

East side of Lafayette!! Not a good place to get lost!

Sounds like he was pretty lucky, even trained in winter camping he still got lost. Sounded like conditions where pretty nasty. I did find it kind of comical that he got a roast beef sandwich from the rescue party......

Bumpsis

Thanks for the report and the pictures. Mt. Whiteface is a really nice hike. I was actually contemplating an outing that day but it just never happened.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Really? where? Probably for the best that you didn't unless you really enjoy the cold :) Even this stretched the limits of my comfort level, and from what others who were out that day as well have told me theirs too!!! :snow: