• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah's New Ski Area: Cherry Peak

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, I know it is not New England or the Northeast, but we recently had someone ask if we would ever see a new ski area in the Northeast and the consensus was "no". There is one slated to open in Utah this fall...and, relatively speaking, there are a lot of younger ski areas out here (Park City was 1963; Snowbird 1971; Deer Valley 1981).

These folks are starting a smaller community hill with 1,265 vertical, night skiing, snowmaking, and two triples. Looks like a decent sized place that will compete with Beaver Mountain and be in a part of Utah that does not have much in the way for skiing.

http://skicpr.com/trail_map.html

trailmap.jpg

They had some delays with an environmental challenge recently (yes, they do exist in Utah I guess).

It's a bit of a drive from SLC, but looks like a locals place. And they are going to be closed on Sunday (I wonder if they will rethink that one?)

A local NPR affiliate reported on it recently:

http://upr.org/post/new-ski-resort-will-be-utahs-15th

skiNEwhere

Wow. It's pretty rare to hear the words "new" and "ski area" in the same sentence today. I wonder how much lobbying had to be done to get that passed. Either way, that's awesome!

You need a post a TR once you ski there!

snoseek

Any idea what kind of snow they get? Looks like a chill little place and good to see more lift served to the North.

But closed on Sundays???Are they serious? Haha only in Utah!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. It's pretty rare to hear the words "new" and "ski area" in the same sentence today. I wonder how much lobbying had to be done to get that passed. Either way, that's awesome!

You need a post a TR once you ski there!

I will definitely try it some time....it's a drive, but you only live once.

As to snow, they say 320" average. I'm not so sure about that.

And, FWIW Wolf Mountain up in Eden, Utah was run by a creditor bank for the last few seasons and they closed on Sunday. The new ownership has reconsidered that one. Granted that LDS services do take a few hours, but they usually have on set in the AM and one in the PM. It is still a weekend day and there is surely going ot be more traffic on a Sunday than your average Monday.

skiNEwhere

I sometimes wonder if there will ever be a completely new ski area in NH or VT, but I bet that will never happen, definitely not in VT for sure.

(I think there was a thread about this a while back but I can't find it)

jaytrem

But closed on Sundays???Are they serious? Haha only in Utah!

Kelly Canyon in Idaho is also closed on Sundays. But they're close enough to Utah that we can call it the Utah effect. The ski area is just up the road from BYU-Idaho.

Just when I was finally "Utah complete" they go and open a new place. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back to North Utah, what a shame.

4aprice

What are the elevation statistics? I've never made it up to Beaver (would love to see the lake up there) but one of my biggest complaints about Sundance is its lower elevation. Even in Utah elevation pays big dividends, I simply find the front 4 to be better then the rest. As I have a good base in SLC, we were just discussing next years trip last night. Maybe a combination of condo and road trip. Interesting options out of SLC for the road so I may get up to Beaver and this new place (JH and Big Sky are that direction) one of these days.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Base elevation is 5,800 feet or so; with their proposed vert, it would top out at just over 7,000. So low, but they are in Northernmost Utah so it tends to be colder. Still relatively low.

jaytrem

Maybe a combination of condo and road trip. Interesting options out of SLC for the road so I may get up to Beaver and this new place (JH and Big Sky are that direction) one of these days.

Can do a nice loop from JH, direct flights from Newark. Options include....

Jackson Hole
Snow King
Grand Targhee
Kelly Canyon
Pebble Creek
Pomerelle
Cherry Peak
Beaver
Pine Creek
White Pine

You should book it today!!! :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Can do a nice loop from JH, direct flights from Newark. Options include....

Jackson Hole
Snow King
Grand Targhee
Kelly Canyon
Pebble Creek
Pomerelle
Cherry Peak
Beaver
Pine Creek
White Pine

You should book it today!!! :)

You've listed a lot of places I'd like to try...and I'm not just talking about Grand Targhee or J-Hole. Lots of local places that I bet have not too much for traffic and good snow.

jaytrem

You've listed a lot of places I'd like to try...and I'm not just talking about Grand Targhee or J-Hole. Lots of local places that I bet have not too much for traffic and good snow.

Yeah, the smaller local places out there are great. You're in a perfect spot for some interesting weekend/long weekend trips. Beaver/Pine Creek would be relatively easy. And if you hit Pine Creek on a Friday you get all the left over powder from when they were closed M-Th. But I imagine it's hard to bother leaving SLC when the skiing there is so good.

snoseek

What are the elevation statistics? I've never made it up to Beaver (would love to see the lake up there) but one of my biggest complaints about Sundance is its lower elevation. Even in Utah elevation pays big dividends, I simply find the front 4 to be better then the rest. As I have a good base in SLC, we were just discussing next years trip last night. Maybe a combination of condo and road trip. Interesting options out of SLC for the road so I may get up to Beaver and this new place (JH and Big Sky are that direction) one of these days.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SLC is a great base to road trip from IMO. Within 8 hours you can be in Tahoe, Central Colorado, Steamboat, Telluride and Jackson. Do it all last minute via hotwire and follow the snow...or just stay in SLC if things are perfect. El nino next year? Maybe try some of those southern areas that are often dry?

4aprice

SLC is a great base to road trip from IMO. Within 8 hours you can be in Tahoe, Central Colorado, Steamboat, Telluride and Jackson. Do it all last minute via hotwire and follow the snow...or just stay in SLC if things are perfect. El nino next year? Maybe try some of those southern areas that are often dry?

1st trip I plan will be flying to Denver and taking the southern route thru Colorado to SLC. Coming back via Powderhorn and Sunlight (if I can resist my friend Loveland calling me). North of SLC will be later. Always wanted to get the wife to Sun Valley (about 5 out of SLC I think) for a little romantic vaca. Nest is emptying, travel will be much easier, time to explore the west.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
1st trip I plan will be flying to Denver and taking the southern route thru Colorado to SLC. Coming back via Powderhorn and Sunlight (if I can resist my friend Loveland calling me). North of SLC will be later. Always wanted to get the wife to Sun Valley (about 5 out of SLC I think) for a little romantic vaca. Nest is emptying, travel will be much easier, time to explore the west.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

5-6 from what I've heard. Relatively easy drive, although there is NOTHING once you leave Ogden until you get to Twin Falls. I've flown into Twin Falls for work and had an in-law that made the drive from Boise to SLC. He said that once he left Twin Falls it was no-man's land.

jaytrem

1st trip I plan will be flying to Denver and taking the southern route thru Colorado to SLC. Coming back via Powderhorn and Sunlight (if I can resist my friend Loveland calling me).

That's a big loop. You planning on all skiing? Lots of scenic stuff along the way.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good news: some pictures of their work. Looks like they are using recycled YAN fixed grip lifts:

10330400_668069909897451_37066639260400052_n.jpg

10257811_663599930344449_3522263737126457916_n.jpg

1982263_645368642167578_1146693499_n.jpg

1979518_643817758989333_1200911822_n.jpg

1896946_643817652322677_212265491_n.jpg