• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lions, Tigers, Hurricanes, Oh My!

Well with May coming up, the Tropics should become active soon.

A strong El Nino this year should subdue activity in the Atlantic Basin, but coming from last year's record quiet season we can only go up!

Lets hope for some OTS monsters this year, for the sake of surfing!

jack97

Well with May coming up, the Tropics should become active soon.

A strong El Nino this year should subdue activity in the Atlantic Basin, but coming from last year's record quiet season we can only go up!

Lets hope for some OTS monsters this year, for the sake of surfing!

holy emissions batman! I thought all this carbon was suppose increase storm activity......

Anyways, there's a strong trend that the east coast and mid west will have a cooler summer when the great lakes have large ice coverage. This past winter (and it was a great one) did set record ice coverage. Not sure what this means for a strong/weak El Nino.

GFS likes the Carribean for a possible cyclone next week. Latest run spat out a low end hurricane smacking western Cuba before limping into Florida as a TS. Something to watch.

This storm has appeared in the latest 3-4 runs, in different forms. Today's was by far the strongest.

yeggous

GFS likes the Carribean for a possible cyclone next week. Latest run spat out a low end hurricane smacking western Cuba before limping into Florida as a TS. Something to watch.

This storm has appeared in the latest 3-4 runs, in different forms. Today's was by far the strongest.

This has been true most days for the last 3 weeks. It is consistent with climatology but unreliable.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1404150207.256346.jpg

This is invest 91L, the first notable development in the Atlantic this year. It is a large gyre like vortex that has been developing over the warm Gulf Stream waters. Today, spiral banding tightened and a small hot tower formed over the center, two signs indicative of tropical development. In response to this, the Hurricane Hunters are out investigating this storm and right now it looks likely they'll find the first TD of the year!

Most models develop this thing into TS Arthur and send it meandering north into the Carolina's and south of Nantucket later this week. Some models (most notably the EURO) have this thing reaching Cat 1 intensity before landfall near the Outer banks.

This is a very interesting set up, and only time will tell if Arthur really decides to show up.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Of course its gonna hit us Friday night and Saturday :-(

Mother Nature- F***ing with the northeast since 2011.

August 2011- Irene
October 2011- Snowtober
Winter 2011-2012- No snow
October 2012- Sandy
July 2014- Arthur

dlague

We are on the Cape and it is predicted to side swipe this area! Should make things fun'

I'll try and post a satellite image soon to back this up, but an eye like feature has begun to form and wind speeds are up to 60mph.

ScottySkis

10489658_679816252066267_5849309236480382178_n.jpg
As of Wed July 2? I guess. Hopefully this map is wrong.

jimk