• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hybrid cars in ski area

Glenn

Hybrids are equipped with low rolling resistance tires. This helps with MPG, but they're not that great for handling. But most people who by these cars aren't getting much of a thrill out of the off-ramp. Low rolling resistance tires have a harder rubber compound. This is exacerbated when the cold weather rolls in. Low rolling resistance tires are not good in the snow. If you plan to take a hybrid skiing or just drive it where it snows, get snow tires. I've seen hybrids with stock tires stuck on some pretty low pitch hills.

abc

Hybrids are equipped with low rolling resistance tires. This helps with MPG, but they're not that great for handling. But most people who by these cars aren't getting much of a thrill out of the off-ramp. Low rolling resistance tires have a harder rubber compound. This is exacerbated when the cold weather rolls in. Low rolling resistance tires are not good in the snow. If you plan to take a hybrid skiing or just drive it where it snows, get snow tires. I've seen hybrids with stock tires stuck on some pretty low pitch hills.
Ah! That explains it.

How are the stopping distance of those "low rolling resistance tire"? In the rain?

(Being a mtn biker, I'm particularly aware of how tires affects "performance", aka speed, braking, cornering. I have "quiver" of tires the way many of you have quiver of skis)

ChicoKat

We live in Campton NH and our Subraru Outback wagon with snow tires was great. My opinion it is the best car for New England winters unless you really need the use of 4 wheel drive for other purposes. The hybrid is the socially responsible way to go and your gas mileage will be infinite as it sits in your driveway all winter!

steamboat1

This is true with any car. Snow tires are made with a softer rubber that coupled with the difference in thread design offer much better traction in snow. The only downside to snow tires is you will lose a little in gas mileage. With my car (Subaru Outback Sport) I lose about 2-3 mpg highway with the snow tires on..

I'm not quite understanding it. Does it have poor traction tires? I can't imagine the hybrid power output is so poor it can't make it up a driveway, if it can make it up the highway on ramp...:confused:

wife has one and it absolutely sucks in the snow...light engine, not enough weight on front wheels...also, there is zero feedback from the engine to the pedal so you have very little feel for what the wheels are doing...even with good tires it has difficulty with even moderate hills in the snow, and if you are trying to go uphill from a full stop, well forget about it

BenedictGomez

Consumer Reports did a study a couple of years ago that showed that almost no Hybrids saved drivers enough gas to recoup the higher expense of the vehicle itself.

When I was getting my MBA, this was my final project! I arrived at the same conclusion.

They ranged from, "bad deal" to "throwing away a ****load of money" for a small low-performance vehicle. Gas has increased in price since then, and the technology has improved, but my WAG is that there's probably still not a hybrid vehicle made that saves the buyer money.

wa-loaf

I'm not sure about the used market, but Consumer Reports did a study a couple of years ago that showed that almost no Hybrids saved drivers enough gas to recoup the higher expense of the vehicle itself. The best deal, IIRC, was a VW diesel. Also, make sure that the batteries are not going to need replacement at some point at your expense.

While I don't own one, I have been VERY impressed with the VW diesels. Diesel engines have come a LONG way since the 1980s. My only complaint is that VW does not make the Passat or Jetta with a diesel engine and AWD (at least when I last looked a couple of years ago).

I believe the Audi A-3 has a diesel option - or will soon. Does the Mazda CX-5 have one yet?

What are hybrid good for? High mileage commuter? Travelling saleman?

Saving the planet is all well and good. But I'm not one who has a large pot of "play money" to throw at a social cause. I need a REAL advantage for owning a hybrid car. Can the saving in operating cost more than offset the high purchase price during the ownership of the car?

Diesels are best if you do a lot of highway miles. If you do lots of city driving a hybrid is a better option. Not sure about hybrids. but the breakeven on a diesel is 4-5 years depending on how much you drive.

Supposedly the new VW Sportwagon will have available AWD and Diesel. The holy grail for me (as long as there is a 6sp too), but I'll believe it when I see them in the showrooms.

wa-loaf

Comments like this are very common when talking about mileage claims. Pretty much ALWAYS way over claiming the #'s. I find it very hard to believe you are getting 16mpg better than the Toyota #'s(which are usually quite hard to achieve in anything less than perfect conditions.)

I drive a truck that if Im lucky Ill get 19mpg out of.....

VW Diesels tend to over perform the official mileage estimates. And the mileage on Diesels gets better as the engine breaks in. Mine is listed as 41mpg hwy. In the summer when I'm doing pure hwy I can easily get 45-46 on a drive.

BenedictGomez

Comments like this are very common when talking about mileage claims. Pretty much ALWAYS way over claiming the #'s. I find it very hard to believe you are getting 16mpg better than the Toyota #'s(which are usually quite hard to achieve in anything less than perfect conditions.)

Yup.

As a rule of thumb, hybrid cars get approximately 20% less MPG than their sticker claims and standard cars get something like 5% to 10% MPG less than their sticker claims.

This is not altogether surprising. When your #1 sales pitch is "gas savings", it's likely to be the #1 thing the manufacturer lies about.

steamboat1

Yup.

As a rule of thumb, hybrid cars get approximately 20% less MPG than their sticker claims and standard cars get something like 5% to 10% MPG less than their sticker claims.

This is not altogether surprising. When your #1 sales pitch is "gas savings", it's likely to be the #1 thing the manufacturer lies about.

My Subaru gets considerably better mileage than what was advertised.

BenedictGomez

My Subaru gets considerably better mileage than what was advertised.

As Hawkshot noted, people always say this, but it's almost impossible.

Do you not drive your car in Winter?
Do you never use the AC or heat?
Do you only drive on nice warm days, with zero wind and only after testing the temperature of the pavement you're driving on?
Do you go unrealistically long stretches without ever applying the brakes?
Do you never go faster than 55 or 60mph?

Because those are the favorable conditions used for MPG stickers, and it's highly unlikely that you can beat them.

steamboat1

Do you only drive on nice warm days, with zero wind and only after testing the temperature of the pavement you're driving on?

Because those are the favorable conditions used for MPG stickers, and it's highly unlikely that you can beat them.

Really don't care what you think. The car was rated 27mpg highway when I bought it. With snow tires on the car I get 28mpg highway. With all season tires I get 31mpg highway. This is on long drives to VT. using the Taconic State Pkwy. which many of you know isn't exactly flat.

DoublePlanker

When I was getting my MBA, this was my final project! I arrived at the same conclusion.

They ranged from, "bad deal" to "throwing away a ****load of money" for a small low-performance vehicle. Gas has increased in price since then, and the technology has improved, but my WAG is that there's probably still not a hybrid vehicle made that saves the buyer money.

I think your analysis is wrong about the Prius. I'm saving $2500 per year in gas. The incremental cost of the car isn't even $2500 higher than standard car.

DoublePlanker

I think I have averaged about 52mpg over the lifetime of the car so far. I can achieve 65mpg commuting to my work, a very long distance almost all highway. This is in the spring and fall. In the winter, with the heat, I can get mid 50's. I drive the speed limit of 65 mph.

The best I have done is 68mpg commuting to work by going 55mph, accelerating while driving downhilll and slowing down while driving up hill.

I used to be a Masshole driver going 80 to 90mph to work and back. I started driving the speed limit with a Honda Accord and was able to average 31mpg, which was above sticker. Way less stress.

Of course, I should not work so far from my house. That would be the green thing to do.

Subarus are great for north country. My other car is a Jeep Wrangler and that does really well in the snow.

VTKilarney

Wasn't there a big change a couple of years ago in the way that the automakers could report MPG estimates? Maybe this is why vehicles meet or beat MPG estimates now.

Edd

Wasn't there a big change a couple of years ago in the way that the automakers could report MPG estimates? Maybe this is why vehicles meet or beat MPG estimates now.

Yeah there was. Can't remember if it was before or after but Hyundai and Ford both got called out for claiming unrealistically high mileage on certain models.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Yup.

This isn't true....One of my cars is a 2013 Prius. The sticker calls for 48 hwy 50 city. 48 hwy is dead on unless you drive 55mph. City I have gotten over 70mpg for the entire tank of gas but I can't drive like that all the time the average city is around 55 to 60 mpg for me. The car has plenty of power 130 HP and will do over 115 mph...The car is super stable in the wind and at high speeds due to the 2nd best production aerodynamics made...............That said it sucks in the snow. My biggest problem with it is that you cant turn off the traction control so it cuts power when the tires spin and you can come to a stop on a hill. I only take it to the hills in fall and spring when I know the roads will be clear

deadheadskier

Staff member
What yr Mazda 3 DHS? 2.0L or 2.3? My commuter daily driver is an 06 3 w/ auto trans and 2.0 L and I do 95% highway miles averaging around 31/32 mpg. Still rolling great at 165k

2012 2.0L - first year of "Skyactiv"

Jess has a 2013 with 2.3L. She's averaging closer to what you do. I'm guessing the improvement in fuel economy is due to the lighter weight of the newer models and longer gear ratios.

ALLSKIING

Staff member

I can't disagree more....I have gotten better then sticker in every car I own.

2Planker

My '06 A4 Quattro is rated at 29mpg on the highway and easily gets 33+.... I drive 65-70 w/ the cruise on, and run on Blizzaks from Thanksgiving till April. 2.0 four cyl. turbo w/ a 6 spd stick - Best winter combo out there !