• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hybrid cars in ski area

jack97

I went thru the purchase of a used car scenario recently so I was noticing what was available in the used car market. Used hybrids are coming into my price range, just wondering if you or someone you know drives a hybrid during the winter to ski area and how they handle in the snow. What type acceleration it has in cold weather driving.

twinplanx

A total aside, but Killington announced they are installing charging stations this summer for the all-electric cars.

That's pretty sweet actually, but I was under the impression Hybrids have issues with the cold. Don't know?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

jack97

newest model hybrids (gas and electric engines) made by toyota and ford have plug ins. that way the gas engine is not the only means to charge the battery.

Prices for these new models are still on the steep side. It would irk me to buy something that expensive and have a large depreciation within months.

Edd

That's pretty sweet actually, but I was under the impression Hybrids have issues with the cold. Don't know?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Lowers their mileage.

I was seriously considering it 4-5 years ago but my drives into ski country were a factor. After test driving the 2nd generation Prius I decided on a Forester instead. I didn't expect to be wowed by the test drive but I plainly disliked it. The few hybrid 4x4s out there are too rich for my blood but hopefully there'll be something out there for me when I'm in the market in 5 years or so.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

Have you considered diesel? Our vw gets upper 30's low 40's for mileage. We haven't had issues with the cold, and the torquey engine does well with the hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VTKilarney

I'm not sure about the used market, but Consumer Reports did a study a couple of years ago that showed that almost no Hybrids saved drivers enough gas to recoup the higher expense of the vehicle itself. The best deal, IIRC, was a VW diesel. Also, make sure that the batteries are not going to need replacement at some point at your expense.

While I don't own one, I have been VERY impressed with the VW diesels. Diesel engines have come a LONG way since the 1980s. My only complaint is that VW does not make the Passat or Jetta with a diesel engine and AWD (at least when I last looked a couple of years ago).

I believe the Audi A-3 has a diesel option - or will soon. Does the Mazda CX-5 have one yet?

abc

What are hybrid good for? High mileage commuter? Travelling saleman?

Saving the planet is all well and good. But I'm not one who has a large pot of "play money" to throw at a social cause. I need a REAL advantage for owning a hybrid car. Can the saving in operating cost more than offset the high purchase price during the ownership of the car?

VTKilarney

Can the saving in operating cost more than offset the high purchase price during the ownership of the car?
It's not quite as bad as I remembered: http://consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/hybrids-diesels-do-they-save-money/index.htm

You should also keep in mind that driving patterns can play a big role in actual fuel economy for hybrid vehicles. As a general rule, the more steady speed highway driving you do, the less benefit you will experience from a hybrid power train.

There is also a raging debate as to whether or not the overall environmental impact is lower with a hybrid vehicle - even with their improved fuel economy.

Last edited:

jack97

I'm not sure about the used market, but Consumer Reports did a study a couple of years ago that showed that almost no Hybrids saved drivers enough gas to recoup the higher expense of the vehicle itself. The best deal, IIRC, was a VW diesel. Also, make sure that the batteries are not going to need replacement at some point at your expense.

def agree that a new car, a hybrid will never recoup the cost. Not sure about the used car market, I saw hybrids close to gasoline prices. The unknown was maintenance or repair cost for a hybrid with high mileage. Most likely with other companies going into the hybrid market, the used market will change in a few years.

jack97

What are hybrid good for? High mileage commuter? Travelling saleman?

Saving the planet is all well and good. But I'm not one who has a large pot of "play money" to throw at a social cause.

Since this will save us from "living dangerously", I would love to hear from the AGW believers about their hybrids or diesels when going to ski country.

DoublePlanker

I own a Prius. I save a ton of money. I can get 65mpg driving on the highway with little effort. In the winter, I can get 55mpg on the highway. It definitely pays off in fuel savings. I have taken it skiing. But I would be concerned in bad weather. It sucks in the snow. I can't even make it up my driveway in the snow! I use a Jeep this year to go to the mountains.

I use 50% less fuel then I used to with a Honda Accord. I put a lot of miles on the car, so it works out for me financially to be a win. I save almost $2500 per year in gas.

dlague

My brother in law had a Prius and while it was great on gas he often could not use it when roads were snowy and after couple if years traded it in! I do not have a hybrid but my 8 cylinder SUV shuts down 4 cylinders when it dies not need it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

Since this will save us from "living dangerously", I would love to hear from the AGW believers about their hybrids or diesels when going to ski country.

I don't fit your description, but we bought a tdi for the improved fuel economy (which is off set some by the cost of diesel fuel), and also for the perceived longevity of the engine. I am hoping for a relatively low cost of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkshot99

I own a Prius. I save a ton of money. I can get 65mpg driving on the highway with little effort.

Comments like this are very common when talking about mileage claims. Pretty much ALWAYS way over claiming the #'s. I find it very hard to believe you are getting 16mpg better than the Toyota #'s(which are usually quite hard to achieve in anything less than perfect conditions.)

I drive a truck that if Im lucky Ill get 19mpg out of.....

abc

It sucks in the snow. I can't even make it up my driveway in the snow! I use a Jeep this year to go to the mountains.
I'm not quite understanding it. Does it have poor traction tires? I can't imagine the hybrid power output is so poor it can't make it up a driveway, if it can make it up the highway on ramp...:confused:

jack97

I'm not quite understanding it. Does it have poor traction tires? I can't imagine the hybrid power output is so poor it can't make it up a driveway, if it can make it up the highway on ramp...:confused:

I knew someone who bought a prious when it was first introduced. He said it was a light weight car and can feel it veer on windy days on the highway. I can easily understand not making it up on driveways if the front tires do not have enuf weight on the car.

I've been driving small economy cars for well over 30 years. Over the years, companies are making them lighter to past a fleet mpg mandate I guess. I've noticed even some of the cars are having trouble making up a reasonable incline with little snow. I'm on my second civic after putting over 200k on the first and that car can go thru reasonable snow cover.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I drive a Mazda 3 which is a light car. With snows and a manual transmission the car is very capable in snow, even on hills. I avg about 34 mpg combined in winter and 36 in the summer with a heavy foot. Hell of a lot more fun to drive than a Prius to. You could probably get a 2012 for a good price.

xwhaler

I drive a Mazda 3 which is a light car. With snows and a manual transmission the car is very capable in snow, even on hills. I avg about 34 mpg combined in winter and 36 in the summer with a heavy foot. Hell of a lot more fun to drive than a Prius to. You could probably get a 2012 for a good price.

What yr Mazda 3 DHS? 2.0L or 2.3? My commuter daily driver is an 06 3 w/ auto trans and 2.0 L and I do 95% highway miles averaging around 31/32 mpg. Still rolling great at 165k