• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nordica Hell and Back ........considering these skis.....size?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm 5'8" and my weight tends to vary in the 190-200# range.

Considering picking up a set of Hell and Backs, but I'm a little torn on what size.

On the one hand, I'm short and like to ski a fair amount of bumps. With that, the 177 seems like an appropriate size. I'm guessing the 177 would be a little quicker in tight trees as well.

On the other hand, these skis would be the widest ski in my quiver (outside of a very old set of beat Rossi powder boards), so when there's fresh, this ski would be what I'd be using. So, the added length and surface area in theory would offer me a bit more float.

Several of you have skied with me over the years and know my style of skiing and ability level.

What do people think? 177 or 185?

Savemeasammy

177. The reality of living in New England is that when we have powder, it is tracked out by noon - and there aren't nearly as many powder days as we would like! Probably most of your powder skiing is going to be done in the trees... I would get the length you are comfortable on. If you are a good enough skier, you can make the ski do what you need it to do. It sounds like a soft ski, so I would be inclined to think that the width and rocker will be enough to make it enjoyable in the powder.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

I'd agree on the 177.....you could easily handle the 185 but I think the 177 will be a bit more versatile.

Puck it

Do not buy the 185. They do not ski short like I said in my text. Steve at the SKi Haus turned on to these after Head ruined the Monster series. He is over 6' and skied the 177's. Nordica is replacing the H&B series with NRGy skis. They have added metal to them. He skied them this year and did not like them like as much as the H&B's. He is now on White Doctor's. A new line that he is carrying next year from France.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Going with the 177

but......the Vagabonds. Want something with a bit more deep snow capability than the Helens. $349 and free shipping for a set of Blems through Start Haus. :daffy:

yeggous

Going with the 177

but......the Vagabonds. Want something with a bit more deep snow capability than the Helens. $349 and free shipping for a set of Blems through Start Haus. :daffy:

I've heard good things about the Vag. Very light core. Yet they are getting discontinued after one year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Puck it

Going with the 177

but......the Vagabonds. Want something with a bit more deep snow capability than the Helens. $349 and free shipping for a set of Blems through Start Haus. :daffy:[/QUOTE

Always willing to help a fellow Ewok and show him the path to a good ski deal and ski. Great choice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks Puckewok

I think I'll be happier with the Vag than the Helen's for their intended purpose.

deadheadskier

Staff member
:lol:

I had contacted Customer Service for Mad Russian Designs and they didn't have any factory blemishes for immediate sale. ;)

mishka

tell me about it.... I been asking them for blemished skis for long time but nooooo they never have any:thumbup:

mishka

What binding are you getting?
I suggest adjustable kind or demo. This way you can adjust position on the skis. 10 to 15 mm sometimes make world of difference in ski performance

deadheadskier

Staff member
I suggest adjustable kind or demo. This way you can adjust position on the skis. 10 to 15 mm sometimes make world of difference in ski performance

I've got a set of Duke's that I'll be throwing on them. not sure which mounting point I'll use yet. Probably factory recommended.

mishka

That's exactly my point. I believe, for best results, binding need to be moved depends conditions. Forward on the groomer/hard pack. Back on the soft snow..... Factory recommended :thumbdown:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've always been fine with a neutral mounting point. I feel like I can adjust my weight back or forward enough depending on the conditions. And the financial reality is I've got a set of Duke's sitting on a set of skis that I never liked and have maybe 10 days of use. Doesn't make sense for me to buy new bindings given I have a basically new pair in hand that will offer touring capability should I ever choose to get off my ass again and actually skin some terrain. The light weight of the Vagabond with the touring capability of the Duke's seems like a good combo to me.

Cannonball

I have to disagree. 1/2" of difference in mounting location on a 6' long ski is virtually imperceptible.

Demo bindings are great for sharing skis, but that's about it. I can't imagine anyone would adjust their bindings by 15mm based on conditions (except at the highest levels of competition).