• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seat belts Question?

Rambo

Some guy wants to know what year did all cars start coming with seat belts installed.

He says 1962 and I say 1966.

I can't find a clear answer on the internet.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW?

ctenidae

Guess it depends on what you actually mean by the question. According to the Wikipedia article (actually a decent source for this kind of thing, when you think about it), Saab made the first car with seatbelts standard in 1958, and it became commonplace after that.

bvibert

Staff member
Guess it depends on what you actually mean by the question. According to the Wikipedia article (actually a decent source for this kind of thing, when you think about it), Saab made the first car with seatbelts standard in 1958, and it became commonplace after that.

I use Wikipedia all the time, but I do wonder about the validity of content sometimes.

wa-loaf

I use Wikipedia all the time, but I do wonder about the validity of content sometimes.

I work for a research organization and Wikipedia is not a citable source, but you can usually follow the footnotes to something useful.