• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Arctic Ice

Puck it

Some fodder for a sleepy Monday.

uscrn_average_conus_jan2004-april20141.png

clip_image002_thumb.png

fbrissette

Some fodder for a sleepy Monday.

Shows that you can pick and choose your data to show whatever you want. Only when taking all of the available data does a clear picture emerge. And for that clear picture to emerge, you also need a good understanding of the natural climate variability, which you clearly don't, otherwise you would not have shown those graphs to begin with.

Puck it

Shows that you can pick and choose your data to show whatever you want. Only when taking all of the available data does a clear picture emerge. And for that clear picture to emerge, you also need a good understanding of the natural climate variability, which you clearly don't, otherwise you would not have shown those graphs to begin with.

Fodder worked!!!!!

jack97

Shows that you can pick and choose your data to show whatever you want. Only when taking all of the available data does a clear picture emerge.

haha.... Duck Dynasty must be going thru its reruns so you must be trolling thru this stuff as well.

The graphs shows the best available data during the satellite era. Surface based data going back to the late 1800 have biases which may not be reliable from a scientific point of view. Reconstruction of these data sets are estimates at best.

And for that clear picture to emerge, you also need a good understanding of the natural climate variability, which you clearly don't, otherwise you would not have shown those graphs to begin with.

By the way, you must still be on theory that the ocean ate the global warming. Or the ocean flipped the switched and became CO2 sinks which is causing this pause.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hopefully we get some of that Vortex. While the weather today is quite pleasant, the last week or so in New England has sucked.

jack97

Hopefully we get some of that Vortex. While the weather today is quite pleasant, the last week or so in New England has sucked.

I rather the vortex hits us during winter. I usually plan to work my tail off during the summer then I can take days off to ski later in the year. At least it's lowering my used of the AC and saving money that way.

BTW, weird summer... iirc, some of the tenure professors going back to the mid-late 90s made this prediction. We would be experiencing a cooling period around mid 2010 to 2020. Gonna be great winters if it comes true.

jack97

yep the comments are funny, so is the article. Speaking of a good chuckle, I've seen past articles back in the mid 2000 that the arctic sea ice would be gone but its making a come back.

dlague

I have been going to Cape Cod for 14 years now for the week on July 4th and some years have been hot as hell and other years down right cool. Last year was a hot as hell year and this year was a comfortable year - even cool at times. I do not buy the hot like Miami in Boston - maybe for a few days during a heat wave or something - but we get that now and we had that 20 years ago!

jack97

'Arctic sea ice spiral of death seems to have reversed'

Guess Al Gore is wrong.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1409435267461_image_galleryimage_polar1.jpg
    1409435267461_image_galleryimage_polar1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Guess Al Gore is wrong.....

He has a lot of company.

The creepiest thing about this issue is the, "it's such a pity" global catastrophe doesn't appear imminent attitude often expressed by many who 100% believe in man-made Global Warming. As if any good climate news like this should be treated as the worst possible news of all.

jack97

This type of climate news stops the gravy train. Which is bad for scientists trying to get research grants and this is the most important item for tenure. What has happened in this field is job security is not given to those that have brought enlightenment to a difficult problem but to those who can promote the problem. Research grants is an important metric for school administrators as well parents and students who have a choice in enrolling in these schools. Saying that AWG due to GHG will rear its ugly head again for our grandchildren is in line with the tactic of keeping the funds coming in.

As for the (non scientist) sheeple .... they get what they deserve.

fbrissette

Al Gore... seriously... You guys are not doing yourself any favour when you use Al Gore to try to make a point.

BG: all of the scientists I know that deal with climate change are going to be happy if is happens slower than expected.

Jack 97: Please don't talk about acedemia and job security, something you clearly know nothing about first hand.

To your stupid graph above I'll counter with this since you have shown incapable of discussing real science:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astr...of_arctic_ice_recovering_are_exaggerated.html

jack97

Al Gore... seriously... You guys are not doing yourself any favour when you use Al Gore to try to make a point.

BG: all of the scientists I know that deal with climate change are going to be happy if is happens slower than expected.

Jack 97: Please don't talk about acedemia and job security, something you clearly know nothing about first hand.

To your stupid graph above I'll counter with this since you have shown incapable of discussing real science:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astr...of_arctic_ice_recovering_are_exaggerated.html

What about these graphs? I see a lot of pauses in the temperature anomaly, NH sea ice anomaly and ocean heat content.

AllCompared%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979.gif

attachment.php

OHCA_curve_2012.png

The only place where AGW is occurring is in the computer models, the only way to stop this warming is to stop the simulations.

jack97

^^^

It probably is a tabloid but the data is from CryoSat a European satellite imaging that infers/measures ice thickness. It's been operational for three to four years. Here's another snapshot for Oct, its clear that ice thickness and extent has been growing since 2010.

icethickness.png

Why it's depicted in tabloid manner is telling, I blame the media for polarizing this issue. Where by the liberal media has been lapping it up on any hint of AGW and this is usually from modeling studies by professor pursuing tenure and research grants. Unfortunately, the group of tenure prof who dispute AGW do not get the same press coverage from these news outlets. Balanced journalism has jumped the shark many years ago.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I'm not talking in absolutes. Not "everyone", but there is definitely an almost "anger" or aggravated state among many people in that crowd when you get enormously positive data that runs counter to the sky-is-falling, for which they should be happy, not mad.

Edd

I'm not talking in absolutes. Not "everyone", but there is definitely an almost "anger" or aggravated state among many people in that crowd when you get enormously positive data that runs counter to the sky-is-falling, for which they should be happy, not mad.

Can you provide an example of this anger? I haven't seen one, that I can recall.

fbrissette

What about these graphs? I see a lot of pauses in the temperature anomaly, NH sea ice anomaly and ocean heat content.

AllCompared%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979.gif

attachment.php

OHCA_curve_2012.png

The only place where AGW is occurring is in the computer models, the only way to stop this warming is to stop the simulations.

IMHO these graphs all show a clear warming trend, but I'm sure you'll disagree... There is a lot of natural variability in there of course. That's why climate is defined as a 30-year average by the WMO.