• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dolly Varden Gully, Alma, CO - may 7, 2014

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I started my trek right around 11:00am. Typically I am a get up and go but it's been fairly cold here still in the AM and so it was better to let the snow soften a bit. Dolly Varden Gully is located on the east side of the 14er Mt. Bross - I didn't make it back to my car until 2:15ish so it was about a 3 hour RT. The snow was awesome and really nice spring conditions. Both pooches came with me to keep me company and I didn't see another soul out there which was really nice. All in all a successful trip for May 7th, 2014.

I parked my car and got moving from the trailhead. After about 200 yards I could already tell I would be doing a little walking with my skis over the patches the sun had melt; but I kept on.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399567221.215589.jpg

The weather was awesome for the entire skin in; got cloudy for my ski; and sunny again for my trek out.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399567318.427491.jpg

Looking up the gulley
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399567340.386710.jpg

Ski down
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399567368.105883.jpg

Getting crazy in the backcountry to avoid taking my skis off
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399567384.871805.jpg

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's kind of winding down but I could keep my skis out for another month I bet. I'm ready for spring/summer. This winter was l o n g.

Yeah I skied in those, the weather was warm! 45-50 degrees yesterday

Cornhead

Andddddd just for fun:eek:

View attachment 12574

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I've seen lots of sideways and upside down pics on forums, this is the first backwards one I've seen.;) Hey, heading to CO for the first time tonight, my Son moved to Boulder about a month ago. A Basin could get up to 22" this weekend. SUV reserved, ready to go, can't wait!
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
^ Yea! Looks like we've got some snow in the forecast, fingers crossed you may have some really nice skiing over there! Enjoy your time :)

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ahhhhh, it was a bold move sharing that here. the pants stayed on & I was fully clothed except for that free bearing moment. 8) and it was warm enough where I would have been sweating bullets even if I had just worn my FlyLow shell snow pants for touring.

dlague

ahhhhh, it was a bold move sharing that here. the pants stayed on & I was fully clothed except for that free bearing moment. 8) and it was warm enough where I would have been sweating bullets even if I had just worn my FlyLow shell snow pants for touring.

Well I thought it was pretty friggin' cool! I am not saying the weather was cool as in cold - I mean you said it was warm. Well you know what I mean!

bigbog

.....Typically I am a get up and go but it's been fairly cold here still in the AM and so it was better to let the snow soften a bit. Dolly Varden Gully is located on the east side of the 14er Mt. Bross .........

Nice TR SkiStef...gotta luv the names of real country terrain naming...as opposed to EC nomenclature, originated by banks......BUT sounds like we still haven't gotten you broken in to early AM, EC powder(ie crud) yet...y/n?

Savemeasammy

Andddddd just for fun:eek:

View attachment 12574

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

3 things:

1. I'm glad to see you are making the most of the awesome season you guys are having!

2. Excellent profile pic possibility. Just throwing that out there.

3. Now I finally understand the old saying "lucky dog"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk