Jay Peak 5/11/2014 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    Gotta get it while the gettin' is err.....possible. I'm showing this post to my wife when I get home so she knows what a good wife does for her husband!
    Just don't let her see this!

You mean what a good husband does for his wife - "It was Mother’s Day and my wife wanted to be skiing"!

BTW - It took many years of conditioning to get her to think that way!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Items for Sale
    Good TR. I think this is the latest that Jay has been open. I could be wrong.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Just don't let her see this!

You mean what a good husband does for his wife - "It was Mother’s Day and my wife wanted to be skiing"!

BTW - It took many years of conditioning to get her to think that way!
    I have a lot to learn Obi-Wan

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    I have a lot to learn Obi-Wan
    Live, Ski, or Die!

We rarely lodge overnight so I never consider it. In fact, we actually have a place to stay about 45 minutes from Jay Peak that is free. We opted to stay slopeside because the deal we got was really good. I am not sure how many people include lodging or anything else when calculating lift ticket costs.
    I usually do both calculations.

1) "Lift ticket only" comparison is useful when comparing mountains that are in the same general area. Because lodging and gas would be similar between say, Cannon vs Bretton Woods vs Wildcat; Sugarbush vs MRG vs Stowe etc. So when one of them is having a special in lift ticket, or I have a coupon, it wins the overall cost.

More over, the way the weather pattern works, often mountains in the same geographic area will be in-play altogether. So if one mountain typically have more snow, more terrain or fewer people, it may win even if the lift ticket cost a few bucks more.

2) Total cost: Lift ticket + gas for local, non-overnight skiing. All-in for overnight trips. Those are total cost.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I usually do both calculations.

1) "Lift ticket only" comparison is useful when comparing mountains that are in the same general area. Because lodging and gas would be similar between say, Cannon vs Bretton Woods vs Wildcat; Sugarbush vs MRG vs Stowe etc. So when one of them is having a special in lift ticket, or I have a coupon, it wins the overall cost.

More over, the way the weather pattern works, often mountains in the same geographic area will be in-play altogether. So if one mountain typically have more snow, more terrain or fewer people, it may win even if the lift ticket cost a few bucks more.

2) Total cost: Lift ticket + gas for local, non-overnight skiing. All-in for overnight trips. Those are total cost.
    With my family there always seems to be incidental costs for both day trips and over nightssuch as snacks, ski shop stuff (that is where we get our summer wear) and adult beverages! But I do generally not keep track of those because if we were not skiing we would probably be doing something else that results in the same!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

With my family there always seems to be incidental costs for both day trips and over nightssuch as snacks, ski shop stuff (that is where we get our summer wear) and adult beverages! But I do generally not keep track of those because if we were not skiing we would probably be doing something else that results in the same!
    I don't count shopping or for that matter, eating out.

Sure, if I'm not skiing, I would eat at home which is a lot cheaper. But I do like the change in my food once a while. So instead of eating out near home, I "reserve" most of my eating out when I'm travelling. A lot of the time, instead of finding a cheap joint, I seek out good local restaurants even though it cost more. If I have to spend quite a bit more to eat out anyway, might as well spend a little more for something I can't find near home!

So I don't count eating out on skiing days as "ski expense". It's money I would have spend in another restaurant near home had I not be skiing somewhere else.

Another example, I bought several piece of ski gear the last couple of trips taking advantage of "end of season sale". I don't count those as "trip expense" either. Because those replace stuff that needs replacing (pants that have holes, for example). I would have needed to buy them SOMEWHERE. Might as well at the resort when they're having 50% off.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I don't count shopping or for that matter, eating out.

Sure, if I'm not skiing, I would eat at home which is a lot cheaper. But I do like the change in my food once a while. So instead of eating out near home, I "reserve" most of my eating out when I'm travelling. A lot of the time, instead of finding a cheap joint, I seek out good local restaurants even though it cost more. If I have to spend quite a bit more to eat out anyway, might as well spend a little more for something I can't find near home!

So I don't count eating out on skiing days as "ski expense". It's money I would have spend in another restaurant near home had I not be skiing somewhere else.

Another example, I bought several piece of ski gear the last couple of trips taking advantage of "end of season sale". I don't count those as "trip expense" either. Because those replace stuff that needs replacing (pants that have holes, for example). I would have needed to buy them SOMEWHERE. Might as well at the resort when they're having 50% off.
    +1

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

I was also at Jay for closing day. The previous day I skied at St-Sauveur.

I have a different spin on the day as it was all above atmosphere, especially at the end of the day. I had my camera, but I left it the car. However my ski partner took a few on hill pictures (he gave me permission to used them in my blog post).

To read and see more...click on the link.

Jay Peak VT : May 11, 2014 – The Mother of all Closing Day Celebrations

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/...-celebrations/

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

Thread Information