• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2014-15 Edition

moresnow

Tempting. But don't they offer membership with a voucher to select mountains in the fall?

Yes, but not for $10. I'ts a great deal of you are just looking for access to their bogos and other coupons.

BenedictGomez

Tempting. But don't they offer membership with a voucher to select mountains in the fall?

Yes, it's better IMO to wait and pay the $35 in the fall and get a "free" ($35 really) lift ticket (I go with Smuggler's Notch), plus everything else.

Unless you're not interested in any of their free ticket mountains, then the $10 is a great deal for their BOGOs, but it's a caveat emptor thing, they have awesome BOGOs for a few places (Jay Peak non-Saturday, etc...), but unless you ski those areas it's mostly meh... I actually didn't bother joining it this year because I had enough sub-$35 Smugg's vouchers to begin with, and because they did away with the BOGOs for some other places I go, like Plattekill.

Savemeasammy

I joined in the fall and got a voucher for crotched. Aside from that, I didn't use it. The fact that they have to mail you the vouchers is a deterrent for me because my ski plan destinations are usually fluid until the last minute. If they could email a bar code, this would be a much more valuable service IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

We got the Mountain Sports Club membership one year but felt the RSNE card provided similar benefits plus the Saturdays so it became redundent. We did use the Whaleback lift voucher in any case. Otherwise did not use it.

xwhaler

Likely very weather dependent.
I had heard Bretton Woods closing day Patriots Day where you ski for $17.76 and includes a voucher for early season next yr has been very crowded in the past.
I was there on Monday and the lousy weather kept people away---lodge/parking lot was crowded but basically ski on to the 2 lifts they had running.

Jcb890

I think Sugarbush does a free day their last day too.

I just checked their site and events page and don't see anything listed there yet. Do we know when Sugarbush is closing yet? MadPatSki's blog says Sunday May 3rd, but that date is tentative. I think I'd need to choose either Sunday River or Sugarbush that weekend as doing both is just too much driving. They are both about a 3.5 hr drive and I have never been to either.

So, if they're both free that weekend, which do I choose?

dlague

I just checked their site and events page and don't see anything listed there yet. Do we know when Sugarbush is closing yet? MadPatSki's blog says Sunday May 3rd, but that date is tentative. I think I'd need to choose either Sunday River or Sugarbush that weekend as doing both is just too much driving. They are both about a 3.5 hr drive and I have never been to either.

Sugarbush never had the free day last year. I went to it two years ago and planned for it last year but never happened. I think Sunday River's last day is May 2nd.

Jcb890

Sugarbush never had the free day last year. I went to it two years ago and planned for it last year but never happened. I think Sunday River's last day is May 2nd.

Yes, May 2nd is Sunday River's last day. That is next Saturday.
If Sugarbush is closing on the 3rd, that would be next Sunday.

Too much driving to do both, so I'd need to choose one (if they're both free).

skiMEbike

It's about 3 hours drive from SR to SB just about a straight shot on Route 2...just sayin. I've never skied Sugarbush (but near the top of my New England ski bucket list). I've skied SRiver in past years on last day & don't recall it being that "crazy"....Personally, I feel late season skiing @ SR is WAY better than early season skiing (with 1/2 trail) in terms of terrain, crowds on the slope, and lift lines. Given the current snow pack, I suspect the last day @ SR will be offering up more terrain than in years past, so crowds on the slope should be minimized. Crowds in the liftline would be expected, but traveling in the singles line would help. I would think most of Locke & Barker will be open on May 2nd.