• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2014-15 Edition

steamboat1

A few more ski club/council appreciation days not listed previously:

Gore Mtn
Dec. 6-7 (Sat. Sun.)
Dec. 22 (Mon.)
Jan. 16 (Fri.)
Feb. 9 (Mon.)
Mar. 6 (Fri.)
Mar. 21-22 (Sat. Sun.)
tickets $42
------------------------
Belleayre
Dec. 13-14
Jan. 17
Jan. 31
Feb. 21
Mar. 22
tickets $38
------------------
Sugarbush
Thur. Jan. 8 - Sun. Jan.11
Thur., Fri., Sun. $48
Sat. $55

BenedictGomez

Gore Mtn
Dec. 6-7 (Sat. Sun.)
Dec. 22 (Mon.)
Jan. 16 (Fri.)
Feb. 9 (Mon.)
Mar. 6 (Fri.)
Mar. 21-22 (Sat. Sun.)
tickets $42
------------------------
Sugarbush
Thur., Fri., Sun. $48
Sat. $55

Nice. Are these good with any ski club membership?

steamboat1

Nice. Are these good with any ski club membership?
You must have a valid ski club membership card that is dated for this season to prove you're still an active member. If your membership card is not dated (like mine) you must affix a sticker to your membership card that the various councils give out each season showing current membership. My club belongs to both the Metropolitan New York Ski Council & the Ski Council of New Jersey. My club distributes stickers from each council every year since our membership cards are not dated. They're nice laminated cards with a picture of our lodge on the front. It's to expensive to make new ones every year. All the ski councils from various states in the northeast are eligible so if your club belongs to one of them you're good to go.

edit: BG since you seem most interested in NYS ski areas I listed the days for Whiteface a few pages back.

BenedictGomez

You must have a valid ski club membership card that is dated for this season to prove you're still an active member. If your membership card is not dated (like mine) you must affix a sticker to your membership card that the various councils give out each season showing current membership. My club belongs to both the Metropolitan New York Ski Council & the Ski Council of New Jersey.

edit: BG since you seem most interested in NYS ski areas I listed the days for Whiteface a few pages back.

Cool. I joined a ski club for the first time this year as a SOTC addendum for cheap deals like this and upfront cheap tickets. The membership card is dated, but I'm not sure if they're part of a "council" (I'll have to find out).

dlague

Gore Mtn
Dec. 6-7 (Sat. Sun.)
Dec. 22 (Mon.)
Jan. 16 (Fri.)
Feb. 9 (Mon.)
Mar. 6 (Fri.)
Mar. 21-22 (Sat. Sun.)
tickets $42
------------------------
Belleayre
Dec. 13-14
Jan. 17
Jan. 31
Feb. 21
Mar. 22
tickets $38
------------------
Sugarbush
Thur., Fri., Sun. $48
Sat. $55

I think these ski club days are fair prices to pay, what I would consider a good deal. So, I looked into membership into a CT Ski Club and it is like $50-$60 to join as a family which is also not bad either. I automatically spread the cost of membership across days visited. That is when I realized since there are three of us it is about $20 per person extra - use it once then it is a bad deal, use it twice still not great, use it 4-5 times - well then my average lift ticket costs per visit are driven up and it is erasing the benefits of all other deals that are cheaper.

I think the ski club pricing works well for those who ski about 10 - 15 times a season and selecting the days off the CT Ski Club Appreciation Days calendar works pretty good. If you arm yourself with several deal solutions then it does not fit in so well it seems.

BenedictGomez

If you arm yourself with several deal solutions then it does not fit in so well it seems.

I imagine it depends highly on the particular club you join and the perks they offer. For instance, beyond these cheap "ski club days", I joined one that offered really cheap pre-pay lift tickets that are valid 7 days a week (minus holiday). Even without hitting a single one of these special dates, I'll come out way ahead.

steamboat1

I think these ski club days are fair prices to pay, what I would consider a good deal. So, I looked into membership into a CT Ski Club and it is like $50-$60 to join as a family which is also not bad either. I automatically spread the cost of membership across days visited. That is when I realized since there are three of us it is about $20 per person extra - use it once then it is a bad deal, use it twice still not great, use it 4-5 times - well then my average lift ticket costs per visit are driven up and it is erasing the benefits of all other deals that are cheaper.

I think the ski club pricing works well for those who ski about 10 - 15 times a season and selecting the days off the CT Ski Club Appreciation Days calendar works pretty good. If you arm yourself with several deal solutions then it does not fit in so well it seems.
You really wouldn't like my club. Membership, dues & maintenance fee's are $200 per adult. Children under 16 $10. It cost's me $600 this year for my wife (who doesn't ski anymore), my 25 year old daughter, (who only ski's a few days a year) yeah I still pay for her & myself. Obviously I don't belong to this club for cheap ski days. In fact I usually only take advantage of the appreciation days for Stowe a few days a year & don't take advantage of the other discounts offered through the club. There are other advantages & reasons for belonging to my club besides the availability of cheap ski days.

steamboat1

I imagine it depends highly on the particular club you join and the perks they offer. For instance, beyond these cheap "ski club days", I joined one that offered really cheap pre-pay lift tickets that are valid 7 days a week (minus holiday). Even without hitting a single one of these special dates, I'll come out way ahead.
All of the discount tickets are good any day including holidays. Whiteface is the only area I'm aware of that charges extra for skiing weekends & holidays ($6 last year) but you can still ski. The discounts aren't as good as they used to be. I stopped buying them several years ago. You also have to be careful how many you buy. Most areas will only take a small percentage of them back if they're not used so you could get stuck not being able to exchange the voucher for another one the following season & eat the cost.

Smellytele

You really wouldn't like my club. Membership, dues & maintenance fee's are $200 per adult. Children under 16 $10. It cost's me $600 this year for my wife (who doesn't ski anymore), my 25 year old daughter, (who only ski's a few days a year) yeah I still pay for her & myself. Obviously I don't belong to this club for cheap ski days. In fact I usually only take advantage of the appreciation days for Stowe a few days a year & don't take advantage of the other discounts offered through the club. There are other advantages & reasons for belonging to my club besides the availability of cheap ski days.

What are the other advantages? The lodge you stay at?

dlague

I mentioned the idea of becoming a member of a ski club and then having access to a lodge as some do and she about took my head off due to the thought of sharing a place with total strangers so that angle was not working. We have several different groups we ski with, but most of all I enjoy skiing with my wife! I do like meeting up with some Azoners (so far at least).

rocojerry

steamboat1

Wow grumpy. I was just joking and understand
Try buying 1 share in a ski house & see what the cost is (times that by 3). Better yet try renting a condo for the season. To me the ski club is a steal. We have over 150 members so we must be doing something right. Not only that the lodge is open year round. We're not confined to Nov.-Apr. useage.

4aprice

Was asleep when the wife came in late from work and woke me up, then I remembered it was the day to get Vermont tickets so I got 5 each for me and her. Seems like the order went through this year unlike last year where I was a day late and it got cancelled on me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

Was asleep when the wife came in late from work and woke me up, then I remembered it was the day to get Vermont tickets so I got 5 each for me and her. Seems like the order went through this year unlike last year where I was a day late and it got cancelled on me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Yep all done