• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2014-15 Edition

steamboat1

So besides those that found out about the VT. pass by this thread how did you find out about it? I found out the same way as last year. This past Fri. I got a postcard in the mail alerting me to the sale today.

BenedictGomez

So besides those that found out about the VT. pass by this thread how did you find out about it? I found out the same way as last year. This past Fri. I got a postcard in the mail alerting me to the sale today.

Email didn't work this year by the way. I signed up for it and got no email.

I decided not to pull the trigger though, even through the 3-day was left as I'm not sure I could use the 3rd day given I've already accumulated a bunch of vouchers etc...

steamboat1

Email didn't work this year by the way. I signed up for it and got no email.

I decided not to pull the trigger though, even through the 3-day was left as I'm not sure I could use the 3rd day given I've already accumulated a bunch of vouchers etc...
I think I told you earlier in this thread I've never received an email notification from them in the past. Last year & this year I got the postcard a few days before the sale. Previous to that I used to get an application in the mail & you had to be quick to order otherwise they were sold out & they'd return your check. Only got shut out once one year when I was slow to pull the trigger. Still got another application the following year though. I've been buying these things for a long time. Previous to last year you were allowed to buy 2 3 day passes under the same name

dlague

I knew it was October 1st and I tried the link that worked the last two years and no luck. I ended up here!

ScottySkis

This is for the sample at Gore, WF and Bell I dont thing it great deal actually but I guess it cheaper then buying the ticket at the windows in Jan.
2014-2015 Snow SamplerFour fully transferable tickets valid any day of the 2014-2015 snow season at Gore, Whiteface, or Belleayre. This product is only available until December 12, 2014, and the vouchers have a firm expiration date of Closing Day, Spring 2015.

$259.00

http://www.goremountain.com/tickets-passes/frequent-skier-products

xwhaler

I intentionally passed on the SkiVT vouchers this yr as I've already accumulated vouchers that I can use. I've made the mistake in the past of chasing all these 'deals' in the Fall only to find myself scrambling to use/trade/sell later in the season.
I think SkiVt is a good deal if you are solo and can't easily pair into 2fers. Or if you only want to ski Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington where deals on wknds arent as plentiful through other means.

Smellytele

I intentionally passed on the SkiVT vouchers this yr as I've already accumulated vouchers that I can use. I've made the mistake in the past of chasing all these 'deals' in the Fall only to find myself scrambling to use/trade/sell later in the season.
I think SkiVt is a good deal if you are solo and can't easily pair into 2fers. Or if you only want to ski Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington where deals on wknds arent as plentiful through other means.

I passed as well because I already have my deals for the few times I will be skiing VT and also It isn't much of a deal for when I will be going to Magic. Pondering the FOX44 Ski & Ride Card though. Should be going on sale soon.

BenedictGomez

Agree 100% with the above. My logic as well. I would have used Sugarbush and Stowe, but I'd be overpaying on Smuggs, plus I have a bunch of other vouchers already and know some slightly better deals may still come. Definitely a great deal for Stowe though, if you use it there as one of your 3 days, you can make the argument you've already saved enough that you brought the other 2 days down to an acceptable value no matter what. So all in all it seems that skiVT is one of the better deals out there, provided you use it properly.

When does the skiridefree 2fer gas thing get updated? Are they doing it this year?

That's a sloppily run program, but each year it's up and running either right before or (usually) right after Thanksgiving.

dlague

I passed as well because I already have my deals for the few times I will be skiing VT and also It isn't much of a deal for when I will be going to Magic. Pondering the FOX44 Ski & Ride Card though. Should be going on sale soon.

Agree 100% with the above. My logic as well. I would have used Sugarbush and Stowe, but I'd be overpaying on Smuggs, plus I have a bunch of other vouchers already and know some slightly better deals may still come. Definitely a great deal for Stowe though, if you use it there as one of your 3 days, you can make the argument you've already saved enough that you brought the other 2 days down to an acceptable value no matter what. So all in all it seems that skiVT is one of the better deals out there, provided you use it properly.

That's a sloppily run program, but each year it's up and running either right before or (usually) right after Thanksgiving.

I used to ignore the 3 Pass years ago due to impact on my average per visit cost but bought it for the first time last year for the sole purpose of getting to Stowe, Killington and Okemo mid season. There is not a 2 fer deal out there that matches this deal for those resorts since it works out being more that 50% off. And 2 fers at those resorts are rare. Most likely it will be used on a Sunday since we follow The Ride and Ski Card Saturday 2 fer Tour 90% of the time. We almost did not get it this year because for the first time we have season passes, but the thought of skiing one ski area so frequently seems like a little too much. Plus my wife liked using those last year and she strongly lobbied to get them again. Personally as a deal hunter, I think it fits in very well. It does increase my dollar cost average by about $2.50. We are also considering the Fox 44 Card. Basically we will ski Cannon a lot, with the variety coming from RSNE, Ski VT 3 Pass and Fox 44 and some other comps.

4aprice

This is for the sample at Gore, WF and Bell I dont thing it great deal actually but I guess it cheaper then buying the ticket at the windows in Jan.
2014-2015 Snow SamplerFour fully transferable tickets valid any day of the 2014-2015 snow season at Gore, Whiteface, or Belleayre. This product is only available until December 12, 2014, and the vouchers have a firm expiration date of Closing Day, Spring 2015.

$259.00

http://www.goremountain.com/tickets-passes/frequent-skier-products

Breaking this down, it's not a horrible deal for Gore and Whiteface, but at Belleayre its $.75 over the walk up price.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

fahz

I looked thru the thread and didn't see anyone post the cost of each could someone that made a purchase provide them?
Ski Vermont 3 Pass

Ski Vermont 5 Pass

dlague

Even for Gore and Whiteface though, $65 per day? Any serious SOTC'er sneers at this with derision.

Not a good deal at all! Needs to be 50% or less IMO! That is not even close ant any of those places.

I looked thru the thread and didn't see anyone post the cost of each could someone that made a purchase provide them?
Ski Vermont 3 Pass

Ski Vermont 5 Pass

Ski Vermont 3 Pass = $130 or about $43 per visit so for Stowe that is 58% off, Killington that is 53% off and Okemo or Sugarbush that is also about 53% off

The 5 Pass was probably $180 which works out to $36 per visit!