• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holy Cow !@

skiNEwhere

Whoops. I meant to say the successor to its successor. I'm still not quite awake

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

With all the improvements in lift technology, I'd like to see this test with a HSQ. I know breck is slowly replacing their HSQ's with 6 packs, they should jump on board.

bvibert

Staff member
This particular part of the test was performed by disabling most of the safety functions of the lift. If I remember correctly, that included disabling the service brake. I believe the intention was to test the emergency brake on its own, but the operator pressed the wrong button (a button that was disabled) . By the time he realized his error it was too late, the lift had already started rolling back.

The clip is part of a longer instructional type video. What's amazing is that they actually repaired the lift enough to complete the rest of the tests they had planned the next day. For the final test they actually light the engine room on fire while the lift is running to see what happens.