• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cool McLaren video

skiNEwhere

Especially seeing as I've skied loveland pass as well.

That road is pretty hairy in spots with 35-40 degree drops and no guardrails

JDMRoma

pretty cool vid, nice way to get back up to the top !

I drove Loveland pass just before Christmas in a Snowstorm, not as exciting as the McLaren though but the no
guard rails really made me feel un easy. One mistake and you were screwed......Beautiful though !

Cornhead

I took Loveland Pass on my return from A Basin to Boulder. I can see why it gets closed regularly. Sharing the road with 18 wheeler tanker trucks adds to the drama, if I saw one coming in the other direction I would slow down so as not to have to share the road on the hairpin turns. I wish I'd stopped at a pull-off or two to take some pictures, but I didn't. Some of the walls of snow on the edge of the road were pretty impressive, at least 20ft high.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

skiNEwhere

pretty cool vid, nice way to get back up to the top !

Hell yea! I can't say I've ever hitchhiked a ride to the top in a McLaren, I consider myself lucky if I don't have to sit in the bed of a truck lol

Although they did cheat a little. After she grinds the rail you can a chairlift in the background.

skiNEwhere

Sharing the road with 18 wheeler tanker trucks adds to the drama, if I saw one coming in the other direction I would slow down so as not to have to share the road on the hairpin turns.

Hazmat trucks are forbidden from using the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70, so the only semi's you'll see on Loveland pass are tanker trailers transporting gas, which makes things even more terrifying if one jackknifes and starts sliding toward you.

Cornhead

Hazmat trucks are forbidden from using the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70, so the only semi's you'll see on Loveland pass are tanker trailers transporting gas, which makes things even more terrifying if one jackknifes and starts sliding toward you.
I read they are allowed in the tunnel when the pass is closed, YIKES! Did you happen to see the Top Gear episode when they were driving super cars through the tunnel at 200 mph? Now that's nuts.

skiNEwhere

I read they are allowed in the tunnel when the pass is closed, YIKES! Did you happen to see the Top Gear episode when they were driving super cars through the tunnel at 200 mph? Now that's nuts.

That is correct. They will force the trucks to wait though, and once every hour CDOT will allow only hazmat vehicles through.

Yup, I've seen that top gear episode as well