• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sister resorts

skiNEwhere

Let's see if this thread gets any traction.

Just like sister cities, name a distant ski resort that has similar characteristics to itself.

For example, someone a while back (I believe it was St.Bear) compared arapahoe basin to wild cat. Couldn't agree more. Both have a minimum number of HSQ's, both are pretty difficult, and both especially have a hardcore clientele that follow them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Steaux and A$pen

Both for being top of the market regarding price, but also have classic ski towns at their bases. They both are also relatively small areas compared with some of their competition (especially A$pen), but have killer terrain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Keystone and Sunday River

Both areas offer a series of rolling mountains with relatively short vertical and light snowfall compared to their competition. Great family destinations, excellent grooming and snowmaking (even Keystone for a western resort).

Both have great towns a few miles from the ski area; Bethel for SR and Dillon/Silverthorne for Keystone.

Both also have underrated expert terrain if you know where to look.

4aprice

I have always called Bretton Woods "the Deer Valley of the east". To me it's the "vibe" of the place. Also son feels that Cannon is the Snowbird of the east, I would say mostly because of the tram, but the massive size of the mountains as well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jaytrem

Magic Mountain, VT and Magic Mountain, ID

Besides the obvious, they both are somewhat minimalist with good terrain for their size. They both also have more ritzy nearby "competition" in Stratton and Sun Valley.

Mapnut

Jackson Hole and . . . well, I'm afraid there isn't one. Vail and Stratton. Beartooth Basin (see nearby thread) looks like a good match for Tuckerman's Ravine.

Cannonball

I have always called Bretton Woods "the Deer Valley of the east". To me it's the "vibe" of the place. Also son feels that Cannon is the Snowbird of the east, I would say mostly because of the tram, but the massive size of the mountains as well.

With all due respect.... Snowbird is the Cannon of the West.

MadMadWorld

Jackson Hole and . . . well, I'm afraid there isn't one. Vail and Stratton. Beartooth Basin (see nearby thread) looks like a good match for Tuckerman's Ravine.

It seems impossible to compare East vs West resorts from a terrain standpoint. It's much easier to find similarities in terms of vibe, amenities, etc.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
These were my analogies, but it's only Summit County.

Summit County Eastern Equivalents

A-Basin = Wildcat. Gives you the same sense of driving up a 2 lane road through the mountains, turn the corner, and boom, there's a ski area. No base development, just a skiers mountain with a lodge.

Copper = Sugarloaf. Big mountain with loads of variety, and expert runs at the top. Yes, it's resorty, but still comes off as a place for serious skiing.

Vail = Sunday River/Bretton Woods. Not that there isn't fun terrain here, it's just not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on the list of what they're about. Also seems to have snowfall/elevation problems like SR.

Breckenridge = Sugarbush. Variety for days. Yes it's resorty, but like Copper it comes off as authentic, where Vail is very fake and forced. Also has as much hardcore ski runs as you can handle.

Loveland = Cannon. It's more than just the fact that it's literally on the highway. This is a serious place for serious skiing (and serious winds).

abc

Steaux and A$pen.
Both for being top of the market regarding price, but also have classic ski towns at their bases. They both are also relatively small areas compared with some of their competition (especially A$pen), but have killer terrain.
+100! Totally agree on the reasons too!

I have always called Bretton Woods "the Deer Valley of the east". To me it's the "vibe" of the place. .
You beat me to it! Add, many "serious skiers" don't go to either because they don't know what's actually available there, i.e. untracked advanced terrain.

Add my entry:

Kirkwood = Jay Peak

Both have excellent advance terrain & exceptional snow fall, but being over shadowed by other good mountains with easier access. Both trying to push for that "luxury family resort" direction, which slightly worries me.

Last edited:

hammer

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Except the food's better at Deer Valley...