• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Owned

skiNEwhere

What trails have you gone into that chewed you up and spit you out?

I was at copper on jan 2 and tried to find some stashes. I went in resolution bowl and cut into the trees between high line and crosscut, and won't do that again. Besides the fact that the trees were incredibly tight, there were quite a few downed trees that I had to avoid as well. I found myself having to step over a bunch just to get out of there.ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1401279517.401728.jpg

As far as named runs go, the lake chutes at breck definitely didn't go well the first time after I fell and slid to the bottom. I did go back a few weeks later and made it down without incident, the first time was quite hairy to say the least though.

I remember the first time i went on goat as a teenager at Stowe I had a hard time as well

steamboat1

Followed some tracks out past Paradise at Mad River once & wound up at the top of a long steep narrow chute hardly wide enough to turn in. Wound up sliding most of the way down on my butt. Boy was I glad when I got back to a main trail.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Followed some tracks out past Paradise at Mad River once & wound up at the top of a long steep narrow chute hardly wide enough to turn in. Wound up sliding most of the way down on my butt. Boy was I glad when I got back to a main trail.

Exact same here, except instead of sliding down on my butt, I slip-slid down and probably scraped all the snow off the mountain.

jimk

I get "owned" all the time while skiing, but from last season most memorably at Aspen Highlands. I'd skied for about two hours when we decided to check out some black diamonds around Deep Temerity chair. We skied a glade called Hyde Park that was steep, but reasonably open with fun, soft snow. We rode the Deep Temerity chair back up (~1000' vertical) and then took the bump run right next to it called Kessler's. It's in the Outer Limits category - long and robust moguls. My age and lack of skill caught up with me and I flailed all the way down Kessler's. Had to stop and suck wind frequently. Form fell apart for pretty much the whole run in front of an audience of skilled skiers/boarders riding the chair directly above me. With my tail between my legs I went straight in for a lunch break at the Merry Go Round restaurant. In the afternoon I rode a chair with an 11 year old girl who encouraged me to try Highland Bowl. I did it from where the snowcat drops you off and got a little bit of redemption:) Aspen Highlands is an awesome proving ground.
Photo of top half of Kessler's (not mine):
kessler's aspen highlands.jpg

MadMadWorld

Exact same here, except instead of sliding down on my butt, I slip-slid down and probably scraped all the snow off the mountain.

Many skiers have ignored the orange discs that read "CLIFF" and learned a hard lesson! MRG rarely ever uses signage so when they do...pay attention

MadMadWorld

Terminator Ridge and Whitewall at Kicking Horse come to mind. North Bowl at Revelstoke. In the east I haven't had my ass kicked in awhile. I try to avoid terrain parks though because that never ends well for me.

St. Jerry

Gorebits Couloir. While not technically an @ss-kicing from skiing it, just one look over the edge was a mental @ss-kicking and made me chicken-out.

Puck it

This year after the big storm at Cannon, we got our ass kicked by having to crawl out of the woods when we could not find the unmarked glade that we were use to skiing.

Edd

The Kinsman glade at Cannon beat the crap out of me one humbling day.

JDMRoma

This year after the big storm at Cannon, we got our ass kicked by having to crawl out of the woods when we could not find the unmarked glade that we were use to skiing.

Ahh yes the Crawl of shame.......Got to admit it,it was funny after we made it back out to the trail....and of course telling Cannonball to keep on searching for it too :) Good times for sure !

I got my ass kicked by one of the chutes off of North St Pats (Or was it No Names, can't remember) at Steamboat. A buddy and I found an untouched, pencil-thin line a day after a storm, and there was a reason it was untouched! We struggled down the top part, falling multiple times (yikes!) and scraping it clear of snow; once we discovered the series of tabletop cliff bands below us, we sheepishly looked at each other and bailed.

Brad J

Spiral Stairs at Telluride, back in 86, I had skied Outer limits for years at that time and thought those bumps were big and steep. Not even close

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Mount St Anne 1980......La Gondola double diamond , South east slope (says it all ), High school trip , looking at the bumps all the way up thinking no problem , 1st couple turns became obvious that looks can be deciving, freaking rock solid .2 turns and spin out. My ski jacket and pants seem to accelerate faster than my skis,Banging off every side of my body ...man I can still feel the bruises .

skiking4

Needle's Eye @ Breck... supertight trees on a 40+ degree slope that contains rocks and other obstacles so you can't link more than 1 or 2 turns together before having to stop and find a new line.

I skied it in subpar conditions, couldn't have too much fun and then came back a foot of snow later and it skied way differently for some major redemption.

Domeskier

Needle's Eye @ Breck... supertight trees on a 40+ degree slope that contains rocks and other obstacles so you can't link more than 1 or 2 turns together before having to stop and find a new line.

I skied it in subpar conditions, couldn't have too much fun and then came back a foot of snow later and it skied way differently for some major redemption.

Is that why you are skiking4 and not a top 3 skiking? :smile:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Don't know the name but woods trail (not sure it qualifies as as glade) off the top of Mittersill. I could barely turn at the end.