• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird might be denied Oktoberfest permit!

deadheadskier

Staff member
"Gladwell told KSTU that the board was cracking down because they had been “allowing something the legislature had not intended” by granting permits for Oktoberfest over the last four decades.
“We felt like previous commissions had maybe drifted a little bit from the rules we had imposed on ourselves,” he insisted. “We’re reexamining our policies in all respects. It’s a healthy thing. It’s a good thing.”

It's a good thing how Mr. Gladwell?

(don't tread on me)

VTKilarney

So for four decades it worked just fine? Talk about a rule in search of a problem.

thetrailboss

Staff member

It's a good thing how Mr. Gladwell?

(don't tread on me)

So for four decades it worked just fine? Talk about a rule in search of a problem.

That was what I said to the Guv--they had been interpreting the rule one way for 40 years and then, without warning, just announce that they are going another way. That's called arbitrary and capricious.

drjeff

That was what I said to the Guv--they had been interpreting the rule one way for 40 years and then, without warning, just announce that they are going another way. That's called arbitrary and capricious.

Yup. We're going through this now in my profession in my home state of CT where the department of public health had been interpreting how permits are granted for a certain kind of sedation license and had been done that way since the 70's and now without any changes to the text of the state statute pertaining to this, a new department of public health chair who took office a little over a year ago has chosen to interpret that exact same text in a completely different way that has essentially made it impossible to grant new permits and has made it almost logistically impossible to renew any existing permit :mad:

The feeling is, and unfortunately as it often can be in politics today, is that there was some behind the scenes "action" by a certain group who was looking to benefit from this change in the statute's interpretation, as opposed to the new interpretation being solely based on "correcting" a situation where the public may be put at adverse risk :mad: :uzi: :mad:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup. We're going through this now in my profession in my home state of CT where the department of public health had been interpreting how permits are granted for a certain kind of sedation license and had been done that way since the 70's and now without any changes to the text of the state statute pertaining to this, a new department of public health chair who took office a little over a year ago has chosen to interpret that exact same text in a completely different way that has essentially made it impossible to grant new permits and has made it almost logistically impossible to renew any existing permit :mad:

The feeling is, and unfortunately as it often can be in politics today, is that there was some behind the scenes "action" by a certain group who was looking to benefit from this change in the statute's interpretation, as opposed to the new interpretation being solely based on "correcting" a situation where the public may be put at adverse risk :mad: :uzi: :mad:

Nurse Anesthetist Union lobbying for more jobs?

VTKilarney

An event that has flourished for 40 years, and has contributed countless thousands of dollars to the local economy, is being eliminated by a bureaucrat who has yet to explain why it would be a good idea to eliminate the event - other than saying that the rule could be interpreted differently.

Talk about an abuse of power.

thetrailboss

Staff member

In this case I imagine it is a certain religious institution that has made the suggestion.

drjeff

Nurse Anesthetist Union lobbying for more jobs?

More like anestheologists wanting essentially all out patient oral surgery sedation procedures (wisdom tooth extractions, large extraction cases, some biopsy procedures, etc) done in outpatient surgery centers where the anesthesia permits tied to that building are essentially all held by anesthiologists and/or anesthesia groups. The CNA's would also derrive some benefit from this change too, but not as much as the MD's

wa-loaf

More like anestheologists wanting essentially all out patient oral surgery sedation procedures (wisdom tooth extractions, large extraction cases, some biopsy procedures, etc) done in outpatient surgery centers where the anesthesia permits tied to that building are essentially all held by anesthiologists and/or anesthesia groups. The CNA's would also derrive some benefit from this change too, but not as much as the MD's

I'm sure that won't at all raise the cost of dental care ...

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I went up to the (almost banned) Brewfest yesterday at Snowbird. Oh the horror! Several hundred people having a good time and on a Sunday! Good music (better than last year), lots more folks, nice weather, and good brews. It was pretty clear that the Resort and the brewers were really paranoid about the "Zion Police" making an appearance--signs at the registration table specifying the ID law, ropes barricading kids from the brewers with signs that read "No Kids", measuring sticks for the pourers to be sure that they provided the right amount of beer, etc. Basically overkill. It's too bad that a few folks tried to ruin a good thing. But it was still lots of fun.