• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

San Juan Mountains, CO - 01/20/07

koreshot

It really sucked.

The snow was too soft and not edgeable. There were no high speed quads. There were lots of terrain features to worry about. The base sucked, couldn't even buy a cup of hot chocolate. I just didn't get it. :)

Anyway, here goes the report.

The Operator and Location:
The cat ski operator is El Diabo. They operate in the mountains above Molas Pass in the San Juans, south western Colorado. The meeting place was, as the owner explained it to me "mile marker 65 on 550".

The Day:
Friday, January 19th, we skied Wolf Creek all day and then headed over Silverton, CO. I love this town, I really really love it. Tiny outpost with loads of character and history. Best ski town ever, mainly because everyone there is all about skiing. There are no fancy restaurants, no designer jeans with ugg boots, no Porsche SUVs... just skiers/riders there strictly because of the great terrain and good snow.

Saturday morning, woke up at 6am, grabbed breakfast, geared up and was at mile marker 65 by 8:30 in the morning. Todd, the cat skiing operator got there as we were pulling into a small parking lot with a tent, a few snowmobiles and two snowcats. We signed our lives away, got the beacons, heard The Speech about safety and backcountry travel and loaded into the cat. Amazingly, the cat was pretty much empty as there were only 3 paying clients, us. With 3 guides (plus a couple of the friends they invited given the cat was running half empty) it was a one to one ratio of guides and paying clients.

The guides were very cool - friendly, liberal about where and how we skied and encouraged us to get after the fresh tracks. Where ever possible, and avalanche conditions allowed, they would give the clients first tracks. Initially, they tried to temper us and talked us out of doing anything too aggressive, but by the 3rd run, we had the go ahead to jump cornices and straightline to our hearts content.

The Skiing:
We skied 9am to 4pm, with a 30 minute lunch break. Runs were about 1000 vertical feet each and we did about 10 different routes. I would say about 80% of that vertical was in untracked powder.

The snow was varied. It seems the area gets a lot of wind as exposed ridges and faces were either suffering from low cover or wind crust. Further down, where the wind was not a factor the snow was creamy, fluffy and boot top to thigh deep. Overall, the snow conditions would get a 4 on a 5 scale.

The terrain was pretty good, but not as challenging as I would have liked. I like skiing steep lines at high speed and minimal turns. I was hoping for small cliffs to huck and steep chutes to straighline, but most of the terrain available was of the medium steep and wide open type. I am not good with judging steepness, but I would normally call the pump house and saddle in Jay pretty steep. The majority of the vertical here was about as steep as the Jet, with some isolated shots of steeper stuff. Terrain size gets a 4 out of 5, and the level of challenge gets a 2 out of 5. (AHM warned me about this, and was right on the money on this). SIlverton Mountain definitely offers much better terrain IMO, but the snow is harder to get to, requires hiking and is more tracked out.

I would do it again, as El Diablo is very reasonably priced for a cat skiing operation ($220). The guides are super friend and liberal. Even though the terrain is not the best, the snow was great and it was still the best single day of skiing I have done in a long time.

Pictures in the next post...

Last edited:

koreshot

Pictures

I didn't do a good job of taking photos or videos as it was hard to stop when the skiing was so good. But I still managed to snap a few photos.

Looking down on Run #1. Majority of the terrain was similar to this, with a consistent medium and low steepness slopes interrupted by steeper ridges.
DSCN0812.JPG

Looking up and Run #1. Good example of the not so steep terrain:
DSCN0814.JPG

One of the guide's friends enjoying the free powder:
DSCN0818.JPG

The snowcat at the top of one of the runs. The skis in the rack kept getting covered up with all kinds of ice from the snowcat track. We had to use scrapers to clean them before each run:
DSCN0816.JPG

Looking up at the terrain where we spent most of our time. I would guess that this picture shows about 1/10th of the available terrain:
DSCN0830.JPG

Todd, El Diablo owner, laying out a very impressive lunch, with fresh fruit and everything. Todd is a great guy... really cares about customer experience and having fun.
DSCN0831.JPG

Me skiing one of the many powdery faces..
DSCN0825.JPG

Mmmm... me like powder:
DSCN0827.JPG

My buddy rippin it up:
DSCN0820.JPG

Great views:
DSCN0838.JPG

koreshot

I can't tell you how jealous I am. You suck.

You planning any more trips up north?

:p

Definitely. Plan to be up there at least two or three times before the winter season is over. I will probably be there for a long weekend on Feb 10 and 11. Not set in stone yet, but as soon as I know I'll PM you.

koreshot

Very nice terrain, but I would think the San Juans had a little more snow... nice pow shots though.

I thought the same too. There was more powder in Silverton last time I was there.

In El Diablo's defense, there was deeper snow in the trees (thigh deep in places), where I didn't take any pictures or video.

I think the face that it hadn't snowed for 5 or 6 days was another problem. It snowed 3 feet up there earlier in the month, but the wind and weather had compacted it to more like boot top.

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
I thought the same too. There was more powder in Silverton last time I was there.

In El Diablo's defense, there was deeper snow in the trees (thigh deep in places), where I didn't take any pictures or video.

I think the face that it hadn't snowed for 5 or 6 days was another problem. It snowed 3 feet up there earlier in the month, but the wind and weather had compacted it to more like boot top.

Did you spend any time at Wolf Creek Mountain? I know the San Juan Cat Skiing company (if not part of the mountain) is damn close and has a 74 inch base !

koreshot

Did you spend any time at Wolf Creek Mountain? I know the San Juan Cat Skiing company (if not part of the mountain) is damn close and has a 74 inch base !

Based on what I have heard, the San Juan Cat Skiing company has similar terrain and snow to El Diablo.

The lack of snow was not a big issue. The base was pretty good; I only got one scratch on the base all day. The biggest issue for snow up there was the wind. There are lots and lots of ridges that get hammered with wind, snow gets blown off the tops. Another problem is the amount of the terrain (looks like ~75%) facing south or east. They had gotten enough snow for most of the terrain to fill in very nicely, there just wasn't a whole lot of fresh snow. 5 days of wind and sun will make 3 feet of snow into 1 foot pretty quickly.

I skied at Wolf Creek Mountain the day before doing the cat skiing. That place is empty and we found some untracked stuff in there. The snow quality was better in El Diabo, but WC probably had a deeper base.... not by a whole lot. Hit a few rocks there too.