• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking in Catskill Mountains

o3jeff

Thanks, have you uses the NY/NJ Trail Conference maps for that area, are they decent or do you know of better maps? We're planning to do some hiking up there this summer.

moresnow

Thanks, have you uses the NY/NJ Trail Conference maps for that area, are they decent or do you know of better maps? We're planning to do some hiking up there this summer.

In my experience, the NY/NJ TC maps are the ones to go with for the area.

Ansari443

Any suggestions for an overnight backpacking loop about 3 hours from Hoboken? I will be taking my dog. We were looking for suggestions outside of the catskills as we have been there numerous times. Are there options along the appalachian trail or poconos? We will drive to the trailhead friday night camp, and then do two days.

Thanks!

ScottySkis

AP trail goes through sams point north part of shawngunks 30 miles south of Catskills great views in 30 miles you have Lake Minnskea lakes and hike s NY state Park Mohonk and Peters Kills Perservee private then by me near Elenville sams point with ice caves ya come here you will be happy with the Shawngunk range read my trip reports.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/125038-unday-Oct-13-Lake-Minnewaska-and-Mohonk-Perserve

I took thispictue
2522_749765818372961_355240873_n.jpg

moresnow

AP trail goes through sams point north part of shawngunks 30 miles south of Catskills great views in 30 miles you have Lake Minnskea lakes and hike s NY state Park Mohonk and Peters Kills Perservee private then by me near Elenville sams point with ice caves ya come here you will be happy with the Shawngunk range read my trip reports.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/125038-unday-Oct-13-Lake-Minnewaska-and-Mohonk-Perserve
AT runs mainly through Harriman in NY. It doesn't make our as far north as the gunks. Beautiful place to hike, but you can't camp. Not much of a backpacking spot.

Harriman might fit the bill. It's only about an hour out of Hoboken. Not quite as scenic as the Catskills but plenty of hiking for two days. You can camp at shelter.

catskills

The brand new John Robb's Leanto is an awesome overnight campsite just under the legal limit of 3500 vertical feet for NY State camping in the Catskills. There is a nice spring with excellent water. I have camped here dozens of time and hike over 50 time without ever seeing a bear. I have seen bear tracks, so they do exist here, but I have never seen one in this location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xaR5y0rYPA

Directions:
NY State Thruway Exit 19 (Mile marker 91)
Take State Route 28 west toward Pine Hill
Take Right on State Rt 42 ( it you got to Pine Hill you went too far)
On RT 42 after you climb a steep hill through a notch between two mountains the road goes down a steep hill
At the very bottom of the hill take a Right on Spruceton Road.
Go all the way to the end of Spruceton road (over 7 miles I believe) and you will see a parking lot at the trail head for Hunter Mountain. The trail is a fire jeep road with a fairly consistent grade. I believe the vertical is about 1400 feet to John Robb's leanto.

Enjoy

ScottySkis

Me and Cornhead drove and almost lost out on hiking the ledge of Giant last weekend Jim G was excellet tour guide and got fired. 7 miles good vertical nice looking at anther 4000 hight up mountain I will kike next summm with these guys and anyone else who might want to com along.