• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge 2014 - Who do you want to see?

Huck_It_Baby

Will Smuggs ever install a new lift anywhere on the mountain?

Can't see this happening anytime soon. I thought this past season there was discussion on the forum about this and if I recall Smuggs had no immediate plans to upgrade.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Can't see this happening anytime soon. I thought this past season there was discussion on the forum about this and if I recall Smuggs had no immediate plans to upgrade.

I thought we discussed an Act 250 application at least three years ago that showed them installing a Six-Pack on Sterling? I guess that is not happening anytime soon.

steamboat1

I thought we discussed an Act 250 application at least three years ago that showed them installing a Six-Pack on Sterling? I guess that is not happening anytime soon.

They re-painted all the lifts last summer including Sterling (chairs & towers). Judging by what it cost Magic to re-paint the red chair several years ago I'd imagine it wasn't cheap to do. Why would they spend that kind of money if they had intentions of replacing the lift soon?

thetrailboss

Staff member
They re-painted all the lifts last summer including Sterling (chairs & towers). Judging by what it cost Magic to re-paint the red chair several years ago I'd imagine it wasn't cheap to do. Why would they spend that kind of money if they had intentions of replacing the lift soon?

Yeah...more indications that they scrapped the plan.

Stowe would be a good one. Historically we had a hard time getting anyone from there to respond.

Skimaine

In no particular order:

Sugarloaf

Big Squaw - it would be interesting to hear from this grass roots community movement. They could also use some love.

Camden Snow Bowl - New to them lift, snow making, new lodge.

Whiteface

Gore

skiNEwhere

+1 on Big Squaw. I think everyone is wondering what their long term plans are

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Cool guys :) thanks. Will continue to add to the list. Emails going out this week. It's slow but I'm making forward progress, hopefully by next week we can have a few challenges up & running.

Skimaine

I'd like to know if that lift is FUBAR'ed or can be fixed.

Likely FUBAR'd. Heard a few years ago that during the last attempt to get it back in service (working on sheave trains and such) they discovered major deterioration in the footings to the towers and they halted further efforts. It would be a great question for the community group. I learned to ski there and would love to ski the upper mountain again.

BenedictGomez

I'm more interested in smaller places, because the big guys you can typically find some info on:

1) Bolton Valley
2) Plattekill
3) Gore

For a larger player, I think Jay Peak is interesting simply because they currently have about 101 moving parts, etc..