• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge 2014 - Who do you want to see?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey guys,

Well I've been crazy busy at work for the past few weeks but I"m just coming out of it now, I think. Anyway, I'd like to run the AZ Challenge again for the next few months. However, I overwhelmed myself last year with too many resorts and ended up failing at getting them all to deliver - partially my fault for just not being able to handle 20+ challenges running.

As a result, I"m trying to generate an initial list of who you might be interested in hearing from this year. For those of you new to AlpineZone, the Challenge (http://www.alpinezone.com/skiing/challenge/) is basically a moderated Q&A between forum members and ski resort management or marketing teams. In years past we have had all kinds of resorts participate.

So, let's line them up. Who do you want to hear from? Once we get a list, I will run a poll and we can pull maybe the top 10 or so resorts out and reach out to them to verify they will participate.

I know we already have buy-in from Hunter Mountain.

Cast your votes!

Bostonian

Hmmm...

I would love to see the following five (heavy on the NH Ski resorts):

1. Magic (Always good to follow up on them. Management is great there)
2. Waterville (I would love to hear about how the expansion of terrain is going)
3. Ragged (Again expansion related - hearing about their current status would be good)
4. Wildcat (An update on their snow making installation/upgrade would be nice)
5. Gunstock (my home mountain of course!)

xwhaler

Mtns I'd like to see run---realize that some of these are probably too small/too limited in their geographic scope or maybe the past few AZ challenges have vetted out the majority of the Q+A's.

Whaleback: Like to see how the non-profit structure is working for them, and specifically on capital improvement efforts.
Magic: Because we all love Magic and are interested in what is next for them.
Saddleback: The mtn is for sale, they just sold 1800 acres of forest land and I think everyone wants to know when the double gets replaced.
Wildcat: seems with the new snowmaking investment and their new goal of being a major early/late season player some good discussion could result.
QBurke: If only to clarify/dispel all the rumors that have been dominating AZ!
Black Mtn of ME: I had a great time here last yr on an epic powder day. They have some really cool glades and the $15 ticket price is hard to beat. Its relatively small and in the middle of nowhere so not much is talked about them on AZ.
Cannon: My favorite NH mtn...would be cool hearing about more plans for Mittersill and other long term goals.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cranmore - interested in hearing about their base area expansion and if there is an skiing expansion on the horizon to go with it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

Last time we ran it some of the smaller mountains only accumulated a handful of questions - that's OK if that's the case, but I do want to have at least a few substantial good things to bring to the table for each resort.

Also, if you guys want anything else ski related, let me know and I can pursue it, like manufacturers or associations (we did Ski Vermont last year, I think).

hammer

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

Last time we ran it some of the smaller mountains only accumulated a handful of questions - that's OK if that's the case, but I do want to have at least a few substantial good things to bring to the table for each resort.

Also, if you guys want anything else ski related, let me know and I can pursue it, like manufacturers or associations (we did Ski Vermont last year, I think).
Forgot about associations...if you could get SkiNH to participate that would be good.

yeggous

I think the first three are obvious for everyone here. From there I can see where the controversy begins.

1) Wildcat
2) Burke
3) The Balsams
4) Cranmore. I'd also like to hear about their expansion plans.
5) Bretton Woods. They've moved towards unique business model (at least in New England). Several multi-area pass partnerships, giving away season passes to kids, very friendly to the local ski clubs. They are delivering a great product and experience, but it has generated some less than pleasant Vermont-like features: lift lines and food / beverage prices.

Edd

Saddleback. Unless I've been missing out on press releases, they've gone dark for some time.

I'd like to hear where they're at with the sale and replacing the dreaded Rangeley double.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Powder Ridge- What they're doing to solve last year's problems and what their future plans are (not just ski related).
Mount Snow- Update on West Lake and Carinthia projects. How has EB-5 has been working for them? What's up with the Grand Summit Express?
Catamount- How far are they with the new timeshare club thing. What are some of the details with their relationship and Berkshire Mountain Club (ie, who owns what, who's responsible for what, who/how is this being funded, ect.)

ScottySkis

Plattekill when will new snowmaking pond be used.

Catamount will newer snowmaking guns be coming soon?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Thanks guys. I'm going to start pulling a list together and reaching out. Have any to add, please keep 'em coming.

xlr8r

Stratton (Now that I am a pass holder there, interested in future plans)
Sugarbush (would like to hear about how they are approaching this year after last year's chairlift mess)
Killington (Status of future plans, lift upgrades, and how the Park City lawsuit affects them)
Ragged (Pinnacle Peak plans)