• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How many wireless devices do you own?

hammer

• 4 smart phones
  • iPad
  • netbook (to be retired)
  • PC
  • printer
  • XBox
  • smart TV
  • Roku
  • 4 set top boxes (rent)

Started to have problems with the first router we had from Verizon and the tech said it was likely due to the number of devices...they replaced it free of charge and all is OK so far.

yeggous

Two of us in the house:

3 iPhones
1 iPad
3 MacBooks
1 Desktop PC
1 TV
1 Blu-Ray
2 gaming consoles
1 set top box
1 apple airport extreme with NAS
1 printer / scanner / copier / fax

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Geoff

DORY.jpg

My company sells WiFi cable modems to Comcast and I'm the company expert on the telephone part of the device. I've got two of these with the cases opened up and console cables hooked up. One I pay for because Comcast won't give phone service out for free to anybody. One is a no charge Comcast test account where WiFi is unsecured with the SSID "GeoffFreeWiFi". Both are provisioned for 25 up/105 down with a special "no upgrade" cable modem config file so I can push pre-release images to them. I have maybe 10 more in my garage.

The only WiFi devices that are typically powered up are my laptop and my iPhone. I have a WiFi printer but it's usually powered down unless I need to print or scan something. I have 2 other obsolete WinXP Pro company castoff laptops sitting on a shelf that I hardly ever power up. One has my iTunes library.

I've never had a need to own a tablet. My Blu Ray player is hard wired Ethernet so I get the best-possible IP streaming video performance for Netflix and Amazon Prime. My company also makes home security panels and peripherals. I've never gotten around to getting them shipped to me from the warehouse to set up an alarm system.

bvibert

Staff member
My trusty Linksys router finally died the other night, after many years of service. I didn't have any time to research, since we're at the point now where not having internet in the house is like living in the dark ages. I went right down to Staples hoping to get away without spending too much, and ended up getting talked into buying a $150 linksys, which was like twice what I was expecting... :?

Hopefully this thing lasts as long as the last one..

Geoff

My trusty Linksys router finally died the other night, after many years of service. I didn't have any time to research, since we're at the point now where not having internet in the house is like living in the dark ages. I went right down to Staples hoping to get away without spending too much, and ended up getting talked into buying a $150 linksys, which was like twice what I was expecting... :?

Hopefully this thing lasts as long as the last one..

If I were buying a WiFi router today, I'd buy a Netgear N900. They certify it as an outdoor unit so it has much higher transmit power than everybody else. With a huge amount of tweaking of antennas, our stuff can "come close". It's what we use as our performance benchmark. You need a 3x3 WiFi adapter in your laptop to take full advantage of all the capability but it has much better range than anything else on the market no matter what you're using. $129 on Amazon Prime. Return that Linksys P.O.S.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N900-...UTF8&qid=1402584179&sr=8-1&keywords=wndr+4500

deadheadskier

Staff member

We've got that exact model in our bedroom. If I've got one complaint on the box is that the damn lights on the thing are freaking BRIGHT. It's like the adult version of a children's night light in the room. I eventually got annoyed with it and covered the front light display with tape. :lol:

So, Geoff, if the designers ever ask for input, tell them to tone down the lighting on the box, total overkill.

bvibert

Staff member
If I were buying a WiFi router today, I'd buy a Netgear N900. They certify it as an outdoor unit so it has much higher transmit power than everybody else. With a huge amount of tweaking of antennas, our stuff can "come close". It's what we use as our performance benchmark. You need a 3x3 WiFi adapter in your laptop to take full advantage of all the capability but it has much better range than anything else on the market no matter what you're using. $129 on Amazon Prime. Return that Linksys P.O.S.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N900-...UTF8&qid=1402584179&sr=8-1&keywords=wndr+4500

I wanted something compatible with 802.11ac