'06/'07 Rossi Scratch BC review - or, skiing east coast groomers on a 98mm waist ski - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    just a question...what do you carry in your 'back pack'?? I see people skiing with packs and just cant figure out thats in there, its not like we are in avy country and you need food/shovels etc....I carry a Camelbak from time to time for hydration (esp after a night of libations!!) but the areas around here are easy to get back to the lodge if you need something...just curious....
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO View Post
    just a question...what do you carry in your 'back pack'?? I see people skiing with packs and just cant figure out thats in there, its not like we are in avy country and you need food/shovels etc....I carry a Camelbak from time to time for hydration (esp after a night of libations!!) but the areas around here are easy to get back to the lodge if you need something...just curious....
    I wear a small camelback, but its under my jacket. Always get a kick out of the people wearing back packs.
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO View Post
    Well I mostly ski with my kids, so for my 7 yr old I carry:

mittens/gloves in case he needs to switch
    his headsock in case he gets cold (or if he gets hot he can put in the pack).
    snacks!

For me/my wife/daughter or anyone else:

tissues
    extra glove liners
    small first aid kit
    extra pair of gloves
    small multi tool
    duct tape!!!!!!!
    snacks!
    sometimes a small thermos with hot chocolate for the kids during gondola rides

For just me I carry:

lightly tinted goggles for when the sun goes in and my normal goggles are too dark and my headsock in case I get cold
    sometimes I fill the bladder with water
    my seasons pass goes in the shoulder strap pocket
    and I usually carry a digital camera.

Carrying a pack has saved me MANY MANY trips back and forth in and out of the lodge to get stuff for the kids, etc. I also will sometimes ski "off piste" at jay and the pack I have (Dakine Heli-pro) has a nice diagonal ski carry feature for when we hike out, and I can't tell you how many times we have been out somewhere and someone has needed a screwdriver/knife/duct tape/bandaid, etc, etc, etc.

I don't care if I am skiing groomers, trees, BC whatever, I won't ski without a pack again. It might sound heavy, but even with water in the bladder it's actually light and once it's on and I am skiing I don't even know it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    I wear a small camelback, but its under my jacket. Always get a kick out of the people wearing back packs.
    That's cause you have never had to ski with kids " I want my mittens" I want my gloves" "I'm thirsty" "I'm cold" "I'm hungry"

I wouldn't wear one either if that was the case or only skied in bounds and/or in the park. I think it is fairly irresponsible to ski anywhere OB without having a couple of basic tools and a first aid kit (and some basic knowledge of how to use it).

I moved a couple of posts about pack usage to DEVO's new thread; http://forums.alpinezone.com/13267-s...ck-resort.html

Lets keep this one on the original topic so we keep everything together
    Brian

The chatter is not the ski........

Devo: it was how the ski was weighted at the time of the hard stop. I run into this every now and then and it is typically pilot error. It happend this past weekend while skiing the Stelvio Ski Treb, an italian ski for touring (I was on hard pack, as there was not a lot of fresh and at 85 mm it was the widest ski I could rent where I was--Italy--fat ski revolution has not hit the Dolomites yet, everyone on narrow, short carving skis). It was due to me edging the ski much harder than it needed to be edged. I backed off the ski, kept nice smooth arcs rolling and did not drive the tips hard, end of problem.

Glad you liked the 98 mm waist, a lot more eastern skiers would be pleasantly surprised by how well a fat ski works in the east. Have considered the scratch or the sick as my next board, so thanks for the review.
    AHM

Quote Originally Posted by AHM View Post
    Devo: it was how the ski was weighted at the time of the hard stop. I run into this every now and then and it is typically pilot error. It happend this past weekend while skiing the Stelvio Ski Treb, an italian ski for touring (I was on hard pack, as there was not a lot of fresh and at 85 mm it was the widest ski I could rent where I was--Italy--fat ski revolution has not hit the Dolomites yet, everyone on narrow, short carving skis). It was due to me edging the ski much harder than it needed to be edged. I backed off the ski, kept nice smooth arcs rolling and did not drive the tips hard, end of problem.

Glad you liked the 98 mm waist, a lot more eastern skiers would be pleasantly surprised by how well a fat ski works in the east. Have considered the scratch or the sick as my next board, so thanks for the review.
    I think you misunderstand. The ski never chattered or bounced while turning, only when coming in sideways to a fast stop. Like a hockey style stop. My friend just skied his 90mm waist pocket rockets for the first time and he said they did the same thing.

I agree about the fat skis in the east. I really want ot start skiing these more.

I have 04/05 Scratch BCs (90 mm in the waist) and also tried them out a few times this year in hard pack conditions coz I was eager to get on them. I definitely like my RX9s better for that kind of stuff, but I definitely feel like the Scratches could be my everyday ski and I wouldn't complain. The place where the extra width really bugs me is in the bumps, but even there they are more than manageable.

Thread Information