• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Must have Apps!

skiNEwhere

Whats the latest App you got your hands that's been of use?

Well I can't call this app useful but it is fun to play, I got the game "2048" a few weeks ago and have been playings it in my downtime.

ctenidae

I had a pretty good app last night- spinach and ricotta crepes, really tasty.

Wait, what?

/2048 is of the devil. Total time suck.

gmcunni

i love waze (gps) use it all the time even when i know where i'm going, great realtime updates on avoiding traffic and cops

dlague

i love waze (gps) use it all the time even when i know where i'm going, great realtime updates on avoiding traffic and cops

I used it for a while, but then realized that i could not drive any faster since it is a reporting based model therefore if something was not reported and you are hauling ass - well then you are busted. But is also helps to alert you of other road hazards. It also is dependent on people using it to report and the number in NH is not high enough yet.

Savemeasammy

Pandora. Nothing else gets nearly as much use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wa-loaf

I used it for a while, but then realized that i could not drive any faster since it is a reporting based model therefore if something was not reported and you are hauling ass - well then you are busted. But is also helps to alert you of other road hazards. It also is dependent on people using it to report and the number in NH is not high enough yet.

I don't rely on it for the cops, but it's a big help on my commute since there are a couple routes I can take depending on traffic.

bvibert

Staff member
I use Pandora quite a bit.

Also a big fan of the IMDB app. It's great for when I'm watching a movie or tv show and want to know who that actor/actress is, and what else they've been in.

skiNEwhere

I got the emergency radio app to listen to the police/fire/ems band all over the world. Pretty interesting to listen to, and informative when you know something is going on in your neighborhood and you want to find out more.

gmcunni

I got the emergency radio app to listen to the police/fire/ems band all over the world. Pretty interesting to listen to, and informative when you know something is going on in your neighborhood and you want to find out more.
what app?

i had a web site i used in the past for fire/rescue but was told that police was encrypted for safety/confidentiality and not available.

skiNEwhere

what app?

i had a web site i used in the past for fire/rescue but was told that police was encrypted for safety/confidentiality and not available.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1403201627.527191.jpg

I've wondered why some police stations don't encrypt as well, but having worked with encryption quite a bit myself I know it can be finicky; you bump it and it loses it's fill, you turn it off without a battery backup it loses it's fill, and depending on what kind you use, it expires. All would could be very bad for an officer asking for immediate backup. I don't know if the stations that do maintain crypto need to hire someone else just to fill the radios either, if so it could be a payroll issue as well.

On a slightly different note, I will say it's pretty interesting to listen to the Sydney (yes, Australia) PD feed

Geoff

Waze is useless for something like the Bridgewater, VT speed trap but it's great for locating speed traps on high traffic interstate highways. I'm usually on cruise control at speed limit + 9 mph where I'm unlikely to get ticketed but it's really easy to have my speed drift up over 80 mph when there's more traffic. I have the top-4% sword icon in Waze. I always turn it on for long drives. It's really good about real-time traffic and construction updates.

I also really like the text message/email you can send to someone via Waze so they can track you. If they're wondering when you'll show up, they can get latest info with one mouse click.

My favorite applications on the iPhone:
Comcast Xfinity TV Remote - I basically never use the infrared channel changer for my HD Set-Top Box
Cumberland Farms Smartpay - Pay at the pump and get a 10 cent discount on fuel
iSailGPS - A really nice chart-plotter for the sailboat. I rarely ever pull out my real GPS these days.
TideDataFree - A tide chart application
Zillow - I'm always curious about asking price when I see a For Sale sign in front of a house

Cannonball

Regulary: This is a great app for getting reminders about things on weird schedules. Water the plants every 4 days. Change the filter in your furnace every 3 months. Anything on any schedule...with reminders. Maybe not everyone needs this but I live by reminders.

My Cars: Great for tracking MPG, service costs, fuel prices. Service reminders, etc.

Geoff

i got my crown just last night.. i treat it like a video game and try to get a lot of points.

Considering I telecommute and don't drive all that much, I was kind of surprised I could get to top-4% in 7 or 8 months. I just make it a point to run Waze whenever I make a long drive.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
2048 is a rip off of Threes! .

I recommend threes instead.

I spend most of my time in the AZ app (duh), Feedly (For news reading), Touchdown (work email). I still play candy crush occasionally (err...)