• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Must have Apps!

dlague

Considering I telecommute and don't drive all that much, I was kind of surprised I could get to top-4% in 7 or 8 months. I just make it a point to run Waze whenever I make a long drive.

Waze saved my ass today! Was notified that there was speed checked by aircraft on the way to work today on the 93 in NH.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

skiNEwhere

Waze saved my ass today! Was notified that there was speed checked by aircraft on the way to work today on the 93 in NH.

I never understood that....is the state really making money off of speeding tickets to justify the thousands of dollars spent on gas, maintenance, and pilots?

bvibert

Staff member
Clearly I need to step up my Waze game...

Attachments

• 1403282572972.jpg
    1403282572972.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 58

gmcunni

Considering I telecommute and don't drive all that much, I was kind of surprised I could get to top-4% in 7 or 8 months. I just make it a point to run Waze whenever I make a long drive.
same here, I also telecommute and just use waze for errands and other misc stuff. i was surprised how fast i moved up but now i have my crown and wear it proudly. Driving to DC this weekend, that should give me lots more points.

I've got 200 more points than you, but I'm still only a Knight. Maybe it's regional with more competition here in MA than CT?
i believe i recall reading that it was indeed by state.

Savemeasammy

I have waze, but since I live and work in rural nh, it doesn't have much benefit to me (unless I'm missing something)... When we travel, I generally have my wife monitor traffic on google maps. That seems to work fairly well - although there are likely some better alternatives out there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

I have waze, but since I live and work in rural nh, it doesn't have much benefit to me (unless I'm missing something)... When we travel, I generally have my wife monitor traffic on google maps. That seems to work fairly well - although there are likely some better alternatives out there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was lit up like a Christmas tree coming home from work on the 93 between Plymouth and Concord. Probably due to motorcycle week!

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

skiNEwhere

Regulary: This is a great app for getting reminders about things on weird schedules. Water the plants every 4 days. Change the filter in your furnace every 3 months.

Is that an android app? I couldn't find it on the iPhone App Store

skiNEwhere

Question for wazers: does this run in the background? Or if the screen is locked?

Edd

Most used for me:

Pandora
Downcast
eWeatherHD
Songza
Rhapsody
Twitter
Shazam
TideDataFree
Yelp

wa-loaf

Question for wazers: does this run in the background? Or if the screen is locked?

It does. I've made a stop on a trip and put my phone in my pocket. Walking through the store all of a sudden it starts giving me directions thinking I've gone off course.

ctenidae

Just heard about If This Then That from one of our analysts. Actually sounds pretty cool, and very useful if you use a lot of apps. Basically, you can set up if-then functions between apps. One I thought of was: If your phone connects to your car's Bluetooth, Then turn on Waze, and send a text to your wife saying "On my way". One of the analyst's friends has it set to turn his wifi enabled light bulb a random color if he gets a Yo (discussion of the silliness of wifi light bulbs and Yo ensued). Their example is If Waze says you're within X distance of your house, Then turn on the porch light, or something like that.

I don't use any apps thatI know of, and so don't have any actual applications, but thought it was a neat idea.

bvibert

Staff member
Just heard about If This Then That from one of our analysts. Actually sounds pretty cool, and very useful if you use a lot of apps. Basically, you can set up if-then functions between apps. One I thought of was: If your phone connects to your car's Bluetooth, Then turn on Waze, and send a text to your wife saying "On my way". One of the analyst's friends has it set to turn his wifi enabled light bulb a random color if he gets a Yo (discussion of the silliness of wifi light bulbs and Yo ensued). Their example is If Waze says you're within X distance of your house, Then turn on the porch light, or something like that.

I don't use any apps thatI know of, and so don't have any actual applications, but thought it was a neat idea.

I have a similar app called Tasker. My last phone, which was a Motorola, came with an app called Smart Actions that was similar, but not as powerful. As neat as it is I haven't found too many wildly useful applications for it (of course I don't have any wireless light bulbs or anything like that). There is one reason I use it that is indispensable for me though. When my phone is charging between certain hours (night time) it automatically silences the notifications and ringer, then it turns them back on in the morning, of if I take it off the charger. The reason it's so important to me is that my phone charges on my night stand right next to my head. I use it as my alarm clock, so turning it off isn't an option. Luckily the alarm clock app I use has the ability to ignore the system volume and play the alarm sound at full blast (or whatever level I set).

That reminds me that I didn't mention one of my most used apps earlier, and that is Alarm Clock Plus. This app came preloaded on my first smartphone several years ago, and I've been using it ever since. I'm not a morning person, and I've been known to repeatedly hit snooze or just turn the alarm off in a half asleep stupor with regular alarm clocks. With this app I can set it to not only limit the number of snoozes it allows (or turn off snoozes all together, but lets not get crazy), but I also have it set to require me to answer a math question before I can turn the alarm off. That means I need to have some level of consciousness before turning the alarm off.

skiNEwhere

VideoPane. You need a jail broken phone but it allows you detach YouTube videos while doing other important stuff, like wasting time on AZ :p

You can make it transparent as well
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1408629994.462539.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
^cool.i'm sure something similar exists on Android. I think my samsung s4 has a pop out video but I've never used it.