• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

podunk77

I bet Pinnacle comes online the following season. It looks like most of the trails are already cut.

I'm having trouble posting the link here, but there's a brief youtube video from two months ago called "Ragged Mountain Ski Resort" showing aerial footage of Ragged, and it's surprising how far along Pinnacle looks. Youtube account name is Carl Tyler, if anyone knows how to post a link here.

xwhaler

Ragged really has a ton of potential to steal market share...their advanced offerings and glades are better than anything at Sunapee or Gunstock and now with 2 high speed chairs serving 2 peaks the ability to do quick runs on diverse terrain is exciting.
A 3rd peak coming on line would really be interesting. They really should do quite well with the Boston day trip market I'd think.

Are there any plans to offer lodging on site or are they strictly focused on the day trip market? I'm not sure if lodging would work---if people are doing overnight trips would they just go to bigger mountains?

Quietman

I'm having trouble posting the link here, but there's a brief youtube video from two months ago called "Ragged Mountain Ski Resort" showing aerial footage of Ragged, and it's surprising how far along Pinnacle looks. Youtube account name is Carl Tyler, if anyone knows how to post a link here.

Bostonian

Being a Gunstock passholder, I will say - that makes me jealous! Very Jealous!

I haven't skied ragged in a few years, but it does give me pause to think about investing in a second season pass there. The only thing that is holding me back is of course it is an hour drive from our house in Gilford, while Gunstock is less than 2 minutes down the road, which is a pain in the ass. If I were to invest the time and money into a second pass, it would be Cannon. Either way, I do plan on hitting Ragged at least once or twice this coming winter. Hopefully it will give Gunstock a little bit of a push to replace the Tiger Triple and expand the terrain over at Alpine Ridge.

Smellytele

I will have to head back there this year at least once. It has been a few years since I have been and vowed not to return until they upgraded the lift and had the trail under it open and the glades.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This.

oh .... I see someone already posted it.:dunce:

deadheadskier

Staff member

Are there any plans to offer lodging on site or are they strictly focused on the day trip market? I'm not sure if lodging would work---if people are doing overnight trips would they just go to bigger mountains?

From their website: There will be a village of condominiums and townhomes at the base of the ski resort, and most of the rest of the homes will be built either on the golf course, on the ski slopes, or both.

I think a lot of that development is contingent upon EB-5 money coming through. I would think for them to really be a player, they'd need to have some sort of hotel with conference/banquet space to help drive revenue during the shoulder seasons.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't think that there's anything odd about wanting to announce, and generate some buzz about a major capital expenditure likely in the 4 million or so range, that was probably in the works for a while, but just awaiting final securing of the funds to go forward with it (always a challenge in the ski industry these days). I'm sure they would of loved to announce this the last few weeks of their season, but couldn't be sure at the time that they'd be able to secure the capital needed to make it happen for the '14-'15 season

+ 1. Lots of places begin and announce such work this time of year.

Puck it

I am thinking that getting to Pinnacle is going to a rather flat to get there and a slog to get out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It will probably be very similar to the Attitash / Bear Peak exchange. I wouldn't want to ride lower easy winder on a snowboard. Only skied that trail a couple of times and there are some sections that require some skating.

hammer

It will probably be very similar to the Attitash / Bear Peak exchange. I wouldn't want to ride lower easy winder on a snowboard. Only skied that trail a couple of times and there are some sections that require some skating.
And there's also that uphill at the start...

Nevertheless it will be good to have some more trail options and having a high speed lift on Spear makes the trails there more regularly accessible. Have yet to try the woods at Ragged but in all honesty if all there is are the trails off of the 6-pack the place skis kinda small.

bobbutts

Great news.. pretty obvious move for them that's been discussed for years on forums. Has been a decent few years for s/c nh with the Rocket, Cascade Basin, and now Spear HSQ. Pinnacle coming soon.
Time for Sunapee to get on the ball with Sun Bowl HSQ
I wouldn't mind seeing them put one on North Peak also

deadheadskier

Staff member
Would love to see a High Speed lift or at the very least a conveyor fast lift replace the Tiger triple at Gunstock. That terrain pod is the best skiing on the hill IMO, but the lift is a tad long of a ride for only 700 or so vert of terrain.

dlague

I never had to skate that uphill section - basically need to straight line that section. However I have seen other do that. That trail is not worth the effort though.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

canobie#1

Iv'e heard that major blasting is in the pans for upper and lower easy winder. Along with snowmaking and grooming.

dlague

They are generating a lot of buzz on that news around southern and central NH based on relatives and friends that keep trying tell me about it! Silly people they should know that I get the news fast due to this forum. Plus many know that I think about skiing all summer long hence their eagerness to tell me something I might not know relative to skiing.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

canobie#1

People down here in RI are already talking about it!

I have a feeling they are going to have to add more trails on spear. Hopefully they don't butcher the ravine but I doubt they would. How about the back side?