• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

Quietman

Didn't Crotched start their lift removal in July with the finishing touches done on the Rocket in November?

I hiked Crotched on August 26, 2012 and they were still building forms and pouring cement for many of the tower bases, and the base and summit terminals were still in the parking lot. I would think that Ragged has time to do this.

drjeff

Didn't Crotched start their lift removal in July with the finishing touches done on the Rocket in November?

Even a few years ago when Mount Snow installed the Bluebird Express, aside from doing the some of the ground work to clear the site pad for the big storage barn in the base area, they didn't start pouring any concrete for any footings until this time of July. And they had that lift fully certified and ready to go before Thanksgiving, and that was with having to deal with all the chaos and construction delay's that Hurricane Irene caused too!

Once all the parts are on-site and the footings all set up, the actual construction of the lift from start to finish goes quite quickly thanks to helicopters and cranes!

dlague

I will be interested to see where the old lift goes. I'll also be interested to see how fast the new lift goes up. Completely new hardware, towers, etc I imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

That was my question a few post back - was wondering if anyone knew.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'll also be interested to see how fast the new lift goes up. Completely new hardware, towers, etc I imagine.

I'm only guessing here but I have a suspicion that while it may start in the relatively the same spot it will offload substantially to lookers right. There was an island of trees near the top of Showboat that was removed last summer. This really didn't add to the terrain very much so it made me wonder. It would also be cool to have that little head wall drop behind the patrol station clear.

Rikka

It would also be cool to have that little head wall drop behind the patrol station clear.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

They have no choice. It's July 14th and nothing has been done. It will be very interesting to watch them pull this off...

They should easily be able to have it done before opening day. There have been many more difficult installs done in less time.

xwhaler

I wonder if they will keep it and use for Pinnacle Peak? Could be risky to open a new area served by that chair given the negativity surrounding the speed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Some of the plans show shorter lower mountain lifts on both pinnacle and spear accessing real estate developments. I wouldn't be surprised if the triple is reserved for one of those projects.

Quietman

This note on the Spear Triple is from Newenglandskihistory.com

"Initially to be placed in storage at Ragged, possibly for future on site use or sale."

xlr8r

Nice to see a little lift building boom this off season, it kinda feels like the 90s again with multiple resorts building new chairs after several slow years with barely any new lifts

Okemo- HS Six Pack
Ragged- HS Quad
Gore- HS Quad
Sunapee- Used HS Quad
Stratton- New Gondola Cabins and other Gondola upgrades
Stowe- Fixed Quad

Madroch

I remember rumors of a new fixed grip quad at sugarbush to replace vally house- any news on that?

Tin

I remember rumors of a new fixed grip quad at sugarbush to replace vally house- any news on that?

They filed permits for it with the USFS last I knew. Wish they wouldn't but given all their lift issues lately they need to do something.

xwhaler

Not to derail this with other lift news but Whaleback is hoping to acquire a used T-Bar to provide quick access to the race course and be a transition to the upper mtn.

dlague

Oops looks like some of the lift towers are still there!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone