• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder if they will use a helicopter to remove those towers and they're waiting for it to arrive.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Or possibly a joint "pluck the old" and then fly in the new on the same day scenario.....

Maybe. I'd say they need to put in new footings for the new towers. I'd figure that the new lift will need bigger towers.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
it looks as if excavation for footings is going on up the entire slope.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Looks like it. Also looks like maybe the lift is going to run up the slope to looker's right.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Looks like it. Also looks like maybe the lift is going to run up the slope to looker's right.

Doesn't look that way. If you look back at the photos you'll notice a surveyors target at the base. When I walked up to the first new footing I lined up the center of that footing with the target. I then turned around. The old towers were perfectly lined up. That tells me the lift will be following the old line.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Or possibly a joint "pluck the old" and then fly in the new on the same day scenario.....

A "pluck and plant"?

pretty large pile of dirt next to the ravine crossing Showboat. I wonder if they'll be using that to put in a culvert and cover the stream crossing like I've mentioned they should do in the past.

I wish this were true. Just a bridge across would be nice so you don't lose that little extra pitch.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Doesn't look that way. If you look back at the photos you'll notice a surveyors target at the base. When I walked up to the first new footing I lined up the center of that footing with the target. I then turned around. The old towers were perfectly lined up. That tells me the lift will be following the old line.

OK. Then maybe they will be able to reuse some of the old footings up higher where the towers still stand.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
OK. Then maybe they will be able to reuse some of the old footings up higher where the towers still stand.

I sincerely hope not.

Here's and interesting photo taken at the Spear summit. (from http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=713)

spearmtntriple-2014-0715b.jpg

If they're cutting trees that far (from skiers left) what will be going there?

Top of Spear Triple by Bob Misu, on Flickr